Kemper input feels like there is latency

• I had experience with latency, took me a very long time to solve. I only use KPA as guitar-cable-KPA with ISP Stelth-guitar cab. Never used wireless, never recorded, never trough FRFR. There was definetly a problem with latency. It was driving crazy, i tride "every thing" I Bought my KPA from Thomann, i guess it was at returned item or so. Finaly I realised the Constant latency box was checked. Unchecked and that solved my problems.

• @Monkey_Man has provided the scientific explanation above, why the normal latency of the PROFILER equals the additional latency you experience at about 1.2 m more physical distance between your ears and your monitor speaker. If you select Constant Latency it's about 1.6 m, just 40 cm or about one foot more. So, deactivating Constant Latency is like moving about 40 cm or one foot closer to your monitor speaker. That cannot explain a perceived latency difference like between night and day! Perhaps your latency issue got solved, because you moved 2 meters (6 feet) closer to your cab or are using in-ears now!? That impact would even be bigger than the whole PROFILER latency.

• Guys, just seeing all this sorry I’ve been very busy. I mainly use my kemper as an on the road recording setup but the “latent” feel is felt with all amps off, all pedals off, all effects off, guitar straight in with a 10’ cable and using a pair of genelecs right out of the back of the kemper for audio. It’s a minuscule lag but it’s certainly there, It’s as if there is some sort of signal process at the input stage.

• Although it is old, I will add some comments. I have also the problems with latency.

- First, in headphones it was OK with usual rig.

- When I added pitch-shift it becomes large (I measured 12 ms).

- I plugged to Cab and stood in 2-3 meters. It means there are delay up to 4+10 ms,

• Although it is old, I will add some comments. I have also the problems with latency.

- First, in headphones it was OK with usual rig.

- When I added pitch-shift it becomes large (I measured 12 ms).

- I plugged to Cab and stood in 2-3 meters. It means there are delay up to 4+10 ms,

2-3 meters away means 6-9 ms delay for where you are standing. Sound travels at about 3ms per meter.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• Correct of course, Karl.

Isivkov, unfortunately the additional latency when using pitch shifting can't be avoided. Even the fastest of these sorts of processes requires "additional" time in order to calculate and modify pitch.

In other words, you need a certain number of waveform cycles to analyse, and this takes time. Nothing we or anyone can do about that I'm afraid.

• It's all detail but pitch shifting only really needs to analyze anything if it's clever (like harmonizing). A simple process like dropping all input 2 semitones doesn't need to involve analysis. Think of the ability to drop a full chord 2 semitones. The Kemper doesn't need to know the actual notes to do that. Anyway it's a detail as said.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• Transpose has always been a difficult one and I just got used to dealing with it live. Kemper made a significant improvement an update or two ago and that helped. It gets even worse with some digital wireless systems adding up to a further 8ms in one case I tried. It is also easy to get 30ms delay just by walking across a stage. None of these issues are Kemper only and they would apply to a tube amp as well.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• musicmad are you sure about that? I’m not an expert on digital processing but there is clearly a conversion process happening (which will itself cause some fractional amount of latency) but surely even transposing a full chord still needs to know the starting point for applying the transpose processing?

There is an algorithm on WIKI. I learned it briefly and I think it does not need to know the "main" note. It shifts the whole spectrum or main part of it which is important for a guitar.

• I ran into the same mistake with the described "delayed" and "washed" sounding effect.

It could be, and that was also the case with my setup, that your routing in the interface is not correctly.

First connect headphones to your kemper and check if the delay still persists..

If not...

Try to set the input routing of your interface to stereo.

In my case – i have the Focusrite 18i8 its done via the Focusrite Control Software –

I connected the main outs (left and right) into two separate line inputs (e.g. Channel 5 and 6) of the interface.

In the Software i set the Monitor Routing for my Kemper to be [5-6] instead of routing [5] and [6] separately.

that helped me and now it sounds great with no recognizable delay.

Cheers everybody and stay healthy!

Oliver