CAB Simulation

• Just a question regarding Speaker Simulation. I have a Torpedo Cab sitting around that I used for a bit with my pedalboard. Has anyone ever tried to integrate something like this into the Kemper? is it worth trying or a waste of time? The CAB has some pretty go sims but I don't know if it's worth complicating the setup more than it needs to be.

• I don't have the CAB but have Wall Of Sound and tried my KPA (With cabs off) a few times and found the tones not as good using similar cab models. Even if there were some cool tones, to me the extra wiring and tweaking needed would outweigh any advantages.

• If you want to use impulse responses, integrating a hardware or vst impulse loader will give you a more authentic reproduction of IR than you can achieve with converted IR in the Kemper (using Cabmaker). Not saying that the converted cabs sound bad, but they sound and react different.

For example Steve Stevens explains in an interview that he uses the Kemper into Two Notes Torpedo loaded with Celestion IR.

I like using some IR (especially from Celestion), but most of the time Kemper cabs are the best and most natural sounding solution.

By the way, you can already find some converted Celestion IR in your Kemper cab presets.

• So Steve Stevens send the output of the Kemper on a 2 Notes torpedo (like this: https://www.two-notes.com/en/torpedo-live) and add some Celestion IR ... (like this : https://www.celestionplus.com/ )
    then to the board. And that sounds better than the kemper directly to the board right?

• So Steve Stevens send the output of the Kemper on a 2 Notes torpedo (like this: https://www.two-notes.com/en/torpedo-live) and add some Celestion IR ... (like this : https://www.celestionplus.com/ )then to the board. And that sounds better than the kemper directly to the board right?

That's how he described it. I don't think that it sounds better than Kemper alone. But two things: If you WANT to use IR (and not Kemper cab) and want the most authentic result you need an impulse loader. The converted IR to Kemper cab via Cab Maker is not exactly the same.

Second: Maybe he uses the Celestion profiles because it is very easy to work with and find the sound you have in mind. You have options of well known speakers in different cabs, superb miced and all is perfectly organized and named right from the start. The different packs are all built up comparable and the IR are quickly loaded, ready for testing. They sound, as you would expect them to sound (for example if you need greenbacks in a 2x12 cab miced with a sm57 you'll get that in seconds - from there you can "change" mics, try open or closed back... very easy to work that way).

• In my experience, and I've got a couple of packs from top name IRs, I haven't been able to find a single IR (converted with Cabmaker) that sounds better than any of my favourite cabs from kemper profiles. The IRs always sound sort of less dense somehow, with less body to the sound. I don't know whether it's just me.

Sterling Musicman JP150, Fender USA Strat
    Kemper Powerhead & Remote > ElectroVoice ZLX12-P | Palmer 1x12 Cab(G12M) | Sennheiser HD558
    Audient iD14 > Reaper

• All true @paults and @Rod Staples :thumbup:

But... the Celestion IR live up to the hype and they do sound similarly good as the Kemper cabs. Not better, but a bit different and really good. For example I use the celestion V type 2x12 open back IRs a lot - also converted. But again, the converted react and sound slightly different. I often use IR with Kemper into Two Notes Torpedo cab (wait for the new firmware / IR length update here) or a vst IR loader (than with an USB 3 interface to maintain low latency).

• This is a general statement, not about anyone in particular:

When a product endorser with a long history of appearing in advertisements that are also coordinated with their music releases and tours describes multiple products that they use, it cannot be assumed they mention using the products because they sound better than using a smaller amount of equipment.

Well said. Like countless athletes who make most of their revenue by endorsement rather than their sport achievements; when there is money/perks/contract involved, take an artist endorsement of a product with a grain of salt.

More than any missing piece of equipment, the most consistent obstacle to getting a perfect tone every time with the Kemper has been my own judgment and committing on improving the latter happens to be cheaper than any piece of gear.