High Gain Players and Purecab Awareness

• When Kemper first put out Purecab I did tests and discovered for high gain tones it was not an improvement in sound with a good profile, for my taste.

I put an extraordinary amount of effort into perfecting my profiles. To understand users perspective I have been asking if they use Purecab or not.

If someone is using Purecab by default I feel they are not getting an accurate representation of my work.

Purecab can have it's place but the Kemper ships new with it on by default and I think this needs to be made more obvious to the new guy.

There are a lot of things to learn with the Kemper and I think this should be one of the first.

All the Best,
    LiveReadySound

Edit: Purecab is in the cab section and output menu. The output menu is global, this is the one that is on by default. The cab section Purecab is per rig and overrides the output setting.

• Always off.

Disclaimer: When I post demo clips for profiles, there will be some minimal post-processing, unless stated otherwise. I normally double-track hard L/R, and add to the main buss a small amount of EQ and a limiter/comp set pretty light as well. Sometimes I get test profiles in advance of release, though 90% of my clips will be from packs I have purchased.

• Pure Cab can change the sound of a rig, so I can understand why someone might consider it to misrepresent their rigs. But, I like Pure Cab for live use, with a DXR10 Monitor. It seems to me like it makes it easier to get melodic feedback.

Paul, what setting have you settled on for: 1. Clean rigs/breakup and 2. OD rigs.?

Personally, I find if OD, just a tad is all that’s needed, say .08 or less. For clean rigs, I find the sound too muffled if I go over 4.1 so usually leave at 2.8 or 4.1.

• Excellent, thanks so much! I'll be interested in hearing what you've settled on; For the record, I use a yamaha dx10 but onstage just go FOH straight and find my sound is often a bit harsh/tinny on those crappy PA speakers.

• Harsh/Tinny in FOH? That is an FOH engineer issue ;)

I’m trying to convey that the sound is worse than my own dx10, it’s not terrible; but it could use some of the effect that of increasing the pure cab by my reasoning. They go to FOH and then out to some crappy Pa speakers. I’m thinking pure cab enabled might soften that sound?

• I always like hearing from the really good profilers, such as yourself, to hear what you all think about Pure Cab. I generally leave it off, but had been messing with it on, on occasion. I think I've talked to more people that leave it off than on so far, but I'm always interested in hearing different opinions.

• Pure cab wouldn’t be working if it didn’t change the sound.

It’s purpose is to remove the microphone and give you a sound that’s closer to the sound of the guitar amp than the recorded guitar amp when you are using FRFR speakers. If you are not using the modeled signal chain though, for example a different mic than an sm57, it’ll make the sound deviate from both.

• As per the manual the cab section does not necessarily override the output section for this.

“Both values of Pure Cabinet interact such that the larger of the two values is always given priority, and will be applied as the actual intensity of the “Pure Cabinet” effect”.

New talent management advice to Laura Cox -

“Laura want to break the internet? let’s shoot another video of you covering the Nightrain solo in the blue singlet, but this time we’ll crank up the air conditioning”.

• I keep it off now but that's not set in stone. When I get more time to analyze, I.E. a better understanding (from my ears) of what it does and does not do, that may change. And since its a "per rig" setting we have the best of options available to us to use or not.

If you use FRFR the benefit of a merged profile is that the cabinet is totally separated in the profile.

For my edification only... ;) Kemper/Axe-FX III/ Quad Cortex user

• I run through some crappy PA at the church (compared to my dx10); and even given that, I found for OD profiles try like .03 makes a nice throaty difference in tone that I usually prefer to the 'off'

That said, for clean tones I definately like the Purecab on and use either 2.8 or 4.1

Depending on the profile, those levels usually sound the best without bassing up and (muddying up) the tone too much; just enough!

Still waiting for Paul! :)