Recommended Profiling Equipment

• When I bought the KPA, I never thought about doing profiles myself - I've sold all my real amps (not the high ends) to fund an AFX II though I ended up with a KPA. Now I know I'm not going to return the KPA (unless KPA team can't fix bugs/issues - unlikely) and is SERIOUSLY considering doing profiles myself (they will be shared). It seems a lot of fun and in line with my other hobbies. And maybe in the future I can really contribute to the RIG exchange.

#1. MIC: The only mic I own is a SM58, I am thinking about getting an SM57 but I'd like to know other microphones that are out there that are not too pricey (plus if good for other uses like vocals/drums), maybe 300USD max. I have access to a mixer (for supplying power) so dynamic mics shouldn't be a problem.

#2. CAB: I have a small home studio (10ft x 10ft), it's not treated so I don't know why I call it a studio but it's where I store all my music equipment lol. I have two 1x12 cabs (with crappy speakers) that can be open or closed back, I'm thinking about getting an isolation cab (thinking about the JetCity isolation cab for its price) so I don't have to treat the room (but do you need to?) and keep the neighbors from getting mad.

#3. SPEAKERS: I'll start with my crappy Eminence/JetCity speakers that came with my cabs until I get better with my profiling/micing techniques but should collect several speakers like the GH12, V30, etc. down the road.

#4. OTHERS: These are other gear that I should or nice to have. I also sold my attenuator with my amps, I'm not sure if DI boxes (like the Rivera or Palmer) are good or cost effective (you wont need cabs and mics?) solutions too. I haven't given much thought about this since they sound like they lack that airy or ambience thing (I don't know what you call it) but there may be a technique to get around this.

I'll most likely profile amps that are good for hard rock/blues and metal. Some of you might be familiar but this top modeler have like a Wiki space about recommended gear/accessories, I'm not sure if the KPA has something similar.

Many thanks in advance for all the inputs, apologies for the long post. I know some or most of these questions have been posted here already but I still felt posting my exact questions.

• I like ribbon mics for recording electric guitar and the MXL R144 (formerly R44) is decent and inexpensive. It's roughly $100USD online. At least one, maybe a couple, of the factory profiles were done with this mic. Ribbons have very smooth midrange but rolled off high end so they're not great on everything but they do get used often for horns, for drum overheads and sometimes for vocals.

Brian

• Probably one of the things missing in the profiles i have heard until now is a good mic pre giving deepness and a clean (or colourend, it depends on your ears) mic sound.
    It it very important for profiles being used for studio/recording sessions and almost useless for live profiles.
    For those last i'd like to have some euros to get an Avenson STO-2, which is likely to be similar to the very clean/flat Earthworks TC30.
    I think that it would give the best in the room profiles, even if still missin the room reverb.

• #1. MIC: The only mic I own is a SM58, I am thinking about getting an SM57 but I'd like to know other microphones that are out there that are not too pricey (plus if good for other uses like vocals/drums), maybe 300USD max. I have access to a mixer (for supplying power) so dynamic mics shouldn't be a problem.

The SM58 and the SM57 are the same... The only difference is the pop filter cab. Unscrew it... and voila... you got a SM57 :D

If you plan to purchase another mic, i would got for a Condenser. I use a AKG C3000 and it seems to its its job pretty good. Not too expensive either.

• I believe a mic pre would be needed in most cases. :thumbup:

Not at all...most ribbons will be ruined with phantom power (the Royer 122v and Blue Woodpecker are exceptions which take phantom) , so plugging them directly in works great.

• Ribbons typically have fairly low output but close mic-ing a cab at the volumes that the Kemper puts out when profiling will be more than enough to use a ribbon with no preamp.

Brian

• Thanks for the recommendations on mics, I am reading more about
    DI boxes and it promises to have its own advantages aside from the savings of
    not owning more mics and cabs. It’s a great opportunity to start profiling
    without the added cost and complexity of micing. Of course ideal is to try both
    and then decide later after hearing them installed to the KPA. I remember
    reading about a DAR DI box where you can load IRs (impulse responses) to
    customize your simulated speaker cab further. I still have my purchased IRs back
    when I owned an AFX Ultra, maybe I can use them.

Thinking about it, it would have been nice if KPA supported
    this (direct input bypassing the cabs/micing) together with IRs – then it would
    have been a more complete profiling amp. Maybe there will be a module that can be
    placed inside the empty compartment at the back of the KPA aside from the power
    amp being planned?

• Ribbons typically have fairly low output but close mic-ing a cab at the volumes that the Kemper puts out when profiling will be more than enough to use a ribbon with no preamp.

Brian

Not at all...most ribbons will be ruined with phantom power (the Royer 122v and Blue Woodpecker are exceptions which take phantom) , so plugging them directly in works great.

I stand corrected. Thanks guys!

• Most KPA users (me included) prefer the sound of KPA profiled cabs to IRs. Much more natural sounding.
    I am a big fan of the direct profile approach when going to a power amp and cab. Profiling without a cab and adding one later does work well, but direct profiles are very dependent on the quality of your DI box apparently as people have had mixed results. You also lose much of the mojo between the amp and cab which is captured in a 'complete' profile, which is one of the things that lifts the KPA above the competition.
    Mr Kemper has stated it will probably be possible to convert an IR to Kemper profile format, but its not a priority at the moment.
    In the meantime you can always profile IRs from your computer if you really feel the need.