Second issue with Remote

• This morning I am having an issue with my remote. I’m using a performance with several patches for clean, crunch and solo. When I try to go between the patches in the performance, it cuts the volume of on the unit and I have no sound in my ears. I have to step on the stomps several times to get the volume to come back. Any ideas? The patches are using the same amp across the performance. Just different reverbs and delays.

• Are you using an expression pedal?

Assuming you are, I’m having a similar issue and I’ve isolated it to either the expression pedal, the TRS cable that connects it to the Remote, OR the Auto Calibration feature in the Kemper. Maybe this is not the same issue you’re having, but I’ve noticed that my sound would get completely cut off (or it may be considerably dimmer) after some time using the expression pedal for volume. Not sure what’s going on.

Also, there is something loose inside my Remote. It could be the issue, but I’m afraid it may void the warranty if I open it up to see what it is that’s loose. Anyone know if opening the a Remote would void my warranty?

• Do any of your parameters have the little “M” indicating a Morphed value?

Alternatively, do you have an expression pedal hooked up with either Wah>Volume or Morph>Pitch ticked?

I have had issues in the past where my wah was bypassed at heel but Volume was active when no Wah was engaged. In that case the expression pedal becomes volume pedal at 0!

In most cases I have found these types of issues to be user error rather than a fault in the KPA or Remote. It can be frustrating but careful fault finding usually turns up the cause.

• At least for me, it’s not morphing because it’ll happen even when I change from patch to patch in a Performance. I can’t remember if going to another Performance helps it (but I THINK I already tried that without luck). I have to either restart the Kemper OR disconnect the expression pedal and switch to another Performance.

Also, this happens even if I don’t have a Wah FX in the patch. I do have Wah>Volume ticked in the Kemper though.

• If its a rig where you dont need expression volume control set the range to “0” in the rig settings.
    I fell foul to this at sound check the other day thinking one of my performance rigs was way quieter than the others. Possibly my expression pedal was less than 100% and the volume rig range set at -5
    Stupidly i adjusted the output volume to match before i realised the error. Pretty sure i always park my expression pedal at full toe position but at least this “fix” ensures i have the full/fixed volume wherever my pedal position is. Not nice to create self doubt and have to adjust presets at soundcheck- rather leave edits for rehearsal time.

• I do like to have the ability to dim my volume though, so I need this to work. Maybe I’m missing something, so I’ll report back if I find anything. Thanks for the tip though!

• BTW, the loose part in my Remote ended up being a loose screw. All fixed now!

Kemper Support was quick and they said it was OK for me to open the Remote to see what was up.

Still need to figure out the Expression pedal volume issue though.

• If you are experiencing a "loss of volume" it is always a good idea to narrow in, if this is related to any particular volume parameter. If you have an expression pedal controlling Volume Pedal in the PROFILER, check the volume bar on page Pedal Links in System Settings. Is the level of that bar corresponding to the issue or not? If not, the loss of volume might be caused by something else. If yes, further analyze, what is causing the unexpected behavior. Is it perhaps a broken TRS cable or defective expression pedal?

If you are using an expression pedal to control Wah Pedal and have Volume Pedal linked to it (WahPedal to Volume is active), then make sure your operating system is current. We introduced a fix in 5.3.0.

• If you are experiencing a "loss of volume" it is always a good idea to narrow in, if this is related to any particular volume parameter. If you have an expression pedal controlling Volume Pedal in the PROFILER, check the volume bar on page Pedal Links in System Settings. Is the level of that bar corresponding to the issue or not? If not, the loss of volume might be caused by something else. If yes, further analyze, what is causing the unexpected behavior. Is it perhaps a broken TRS cable or defective expression pedal?

If you are using an expression pedal to control Wah Pedal and have Volume Pedal linked to it (WahPedal to Volume is active), then make sure your operating system is current. We introduced a fix in 5.3.0.

Thanks for your suggestions!

I haven’t had time to troubleshoot the issue, but I will (I NEED to, due to gigs). FYI, the OS version I’m on is v.5.5.2. And, like I mentioned earlier, I do have WahPedal to Volume active.

• UPDATE:

I spent some time today trying to recreate the issue, but it all was working as expected. With my luck it’ll happen again mid gig this weekend. I’m sure it’ll happen again eventually, and hopefully I’ll be able to troubleshoot it then. Until then!

• UPDATE #2:

OK, so I’m currently at my church gig because, of course, it had to happen now and not while I was troubleshooting it at home. But at least I figured out what’s going on. Basically, I have to make sure that my expression pedal is all the way down to the toe position BEFORE I switch to a patch that has the Wah engaged. Otherwise my volume level stays at the position I left it in before switching over, which might be complete silence, to the patch that has a Wah block enabled.

Now, the question is, Is there a setting in the Kemper that changes that behavior so that the Volume level goes back to nominal when switching rigs that have the Wah engaged (But NOT those that don’t have a Wah block engaged) in performance mode?

• If its a rig where you dont need expression volume control set the range to “0” in the rig settings.
    I fell foul to this at sound check the other day thinking one of my performance rigs was way quieter than the others. Possibly my expression pedal was less than 100% and the volume rig range set at -5
    Stupidly i adjusted the output volume to match before i realised the error. Pretty sure i always park my expression pedal at full toe position but at least this “fix” ensures i have the full/fixed volume wherever my pedal position is. Not nice to create self doubt and have to adjust presets at soundcheck- rather leave edits for rehearsal time.

Given that I haven’t gotten a response regarding a different behavior for volume pedal position, I guess this is my best option. Thanks for the suggestion!