AWESOME GUITAR - in songs you can't let your friends know you like!

• Guitar is amazing.

It is the greatest thing...and the greatest gift we can give to others.

You expect great axe work from rock bands and metal bands...but sometimes it gets wrapped up in an utterly dog-sh*t song...that is undeserving of it's majesty...and occasionally by someone with a face like the bottom of a foot...like my example. (2 minutes 45).

What are your secret guitar pleasures/ little treasures you have found where there is great or 'just right' guitar work in a song you wouldn't expect it?

Truth be told...it's not a bad song...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGwIaL0jOUg

PRS Custom 22's - Fender Strats - Diezel VH4 - Carol Ann OD2 - Toneking Imperial MK2 - Colin the Kemper - CLR Neo ii.

• Should be here, brah:
    Link your music

Here's my nomination:
    Steve Lukather in Olivia Newton-John's Physical. Technically the song isn't bad at all, but back in its day, peeps like the majority on this forum and most guys the world over wouldn't have admitted they'd listened that-closely to the song.

It's classic Steve Lukather in melodic-rock-but-not-OTT mode:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• What are your secret guitar pleasures/ little treasures you have found where there is great or 'just right' guitar work in a song you wouldn't expect it?

Depends on how much we've had to drink haha!

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Hmm...

The leads aren't unexpected for me, given the tone of the songs, Shawn. They seem, I don't know... expected! I mean, you'd hope from the first bar that some good lead playing would be present, and it is.

Also, why would you be embarrassed to admit to your friends that you like 'em? I mean, it's not Madonna (to quote Seinfeld - "... not that there's anything wrong with that"). :D

That said, for the love of God, don't tell anyone I like the ONJ song, 'cause I don't really like it, but Steve's lead is sooo-friggin' tasty! I mean, c'mon! 8o:whistling:

• ONJ is a babe...

I guess it's not surprising because many pop artists use session musicians...Steve being on of the top men. Not much of a lukather fan but his version of While my guitar gently weeps is sublime!

The obvious ones are Beat It, Dirty Diana ( I think that's Steve Stevens), black cat...and that's just the jacksons!

• Yeah, his Gently Weeps rendition smokes.

Interesting you should name Beat It, 'cause "everyone" thinks Eddie did all the guitar, but Steve did the rhythm. That famous rhythm riff that "makes" the song is his.

I've not seen a session guitarist with more credits than him. It's ridiculous how much work he's done, especially back in the '80s.

• Another one that SK did and not too many know about ..... but again in fine form (with a Rockman, no doubt)

• What about lots of country pop songs? I like some, others not so much. But there's often some Nashville cat in there filling in good stuff. And there's obviously great country songs, with great solos or at least superb fills and rhythm, but I mean the more popish ones.

Never too old for rock'n'roll

• Yeah, his Gently Weeps rendition smokes.

Interesting you should name Beat It, 'cause "everyone" thinks Eddie did all the guitar, but Steve did the rhythm. That famous rhythm riff that "makes" the song is his.

I've not seen a session guitarist with more credits than him. It's ridiculous how much work he's done, especially back in the '80s.

Of course forgot that. Yeah, wasn't it Steve's recommendation for Eddie to do the solo?

• External Content www.youtube.com

Anyone remember this guy;This song was a big hit by the mid 80s and on "heavy rotation" on mtv and everywhere.My sweet little girl friend and her friends ofcourse loved this guy and so they forced me ;) to go with them to see him live.Let me say that I did not even knew that this guy plays guitar.I expected a 70 minutes "dance evening" with my girl and the other sweeties..What happened next..well..Robbie handed me a second hole in my a@@ and actually it was a good lesson to never judge another musician to quickly.. :D

• Hmm...

The leads aren't unexpected for me, given the tone of the songs, Shawn. They seem, I don't know... expected! I mean, you'd hope from the first bar that some good lead playing would be present, and it is.

Also, why would you be embarrassed to admit to your friends that you like 'em? I mean, it's not Madonna (to quote Seinfeld - "... not that there's anything wrong with that").

Yeah, perhaps not totally unexpected but a secret pleasure nevertheless! In some of my circles I'd get kicked in the nuts sharing those and this more on topic choice lol! :whistling::D

• I’m posting this with an iPad so hopefully the link will work correctly. I’ve never been a big country music fan but I’ve always loved the main riff to this Merle Haggard song and the Roy Nichols solo is smoking on the Tele

• Yeah, perhaps not totally unexpected but a secret pleasure nevertheless! In some of my circles I'd get kicked in the nuts sharing those and this more on topic choice lol!

Always loved Heart, and that song, along with Barracuda, were my favourites of theirs back in the day.

Yet again, I wouldn't be embarrassed to share it. Your friends must be ridin' your ass pretty-hard, brah. :D

• Yeah, as a kid my brother and I had her posters lol! Another weird crush I had was on princess Diana. I was like 7 and she was on books of matches (of all things - just head shots?), very strange, but I had these matches and was like 8o haha! Weird, right! LMAO!

I think we all did. Kim Wylde and Blondie as well!

• More love for the Luke :

Loved that when I was a kid... sick solo. The extended version has even more shredding in it.

Edit : Extended shredding! 8o