AWESOME GUITAR - in songs you can't let your friends know you like!

• Totally, Sam!

There always will be, and can only be one "The Luke". 8o:love:<3:whistling:

That song was the standout for that period in Lionel's career for me bro'. I mean, Dancing on the Ceiling was fine, but this track had it all, and was so-well mixed and produced. A true winner and fantastic example to all at that time of what can be done arrangement-and-production-wise, along with the earlier Thriller and Off the Wall albums, of course... IMHO. I'd even include the Brothers Johnson's Light Up the Night in that rarified air, but not too many peeps have heard of it. First album I ever bought at age 11 or so.

Oh, and to be fair, Back in Black set a similar standard in the rock field, IMHO, and has yet to be beaten in the production, arrangement and mixing areas, again, IMHO.

• Here is another pop song with members of Toto in the backup band - it has a great guitar solo. But, it isn’t SL.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• LOL I bought all of his stuff back in the early '80s 'cause of the Toto connection. I'm such a tragic, Paul.

I've always enjoyed listening to the arrangements, harmonies, playing, production and so on. I found a way to dial out his voice early on; doesn't cut it for me, but hey, at least "he" got everything else right!

Also, Jeff Procaro has been my favourite "straight-up" drummer since then. Amazingly, he even played on that Brothers Johnson album I mentioned, as did Steve Porcaro. Oh, and he played on Lionel Richie's Running with the Night that Sam posted on page 2.

Out of sheer respect for Jeff, here's an incomplete list of some of the big sessions he did (from Wikipedia).

Utterly-ridiculous:

Seals & Crofts – Diamond Girl (1973), Unborn Child (1974), Get Closer (1976)
    Joe Cocker – I Can Stand a Little Rain (1974), Civilized Man (1984)
    Steely Dan – Pretzel Logic (1974), Katy Lied (1975), "FM (No Static at All)" (1978), Gaucho (1980)
    Tommy Bolin – Teaser (1975) – "The Grind", "Homeward Strut", "Dreamer", "Teaser"
    Les Dudek – Les Dudek (1976), Say No More (1977), Ghost Town Parade (1978), Deeper Shades of Blues (1995), Freestyle! (2000)
    Leo Sayer – Endless Flight (1976) – "When I Need You", Thunder in My Heart (1977), Leo Sayer (1978), World Radio (1982), Have You Ever Been in Love (1983)
    Boz Scaggs – Silk Degrees (1976), Down Two Then Left (1977), Middle Man (1980), Other Roads (1988)
    Flyer – Send a Little Love My Way (1979)
    Peter Frampton – Breaking All the Rules (1981)
    Eric Carmen – Boats Against the Current (1977) – "She Did It"
    Valerie Carter – Just a Stone's Throw Away (1977), Wild Child (1978)
    Lisa Dal Bello – Lisa Dal Bello (1977)
    Hall & Oates – Beauty on a Back Street (1977)
    Diana Ross – Baby It's Me (1977), Ross (1983)
    Colin Blunstone – Never Even Thought (1978)
    Larry Carlton – Larry Carlton (1978), Sleepwalk (1981), Friends (1983)
    Allen Toussaint – Motion (1978)
    Dave Mason – Mariposa De Oro (1978) – "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow"
    Nik Kershaw - The Works (1989) - "Walkabout"
    Warren Zevon – Excitable Boy (1978) – "Nighttime in the Switching Yard", Mr. Bad Example (1991)
    Ruben Blades – Nothing but the Truth (1988)
    Bim – Thistles (1978)
    Janne Schaffer – Earmeal (1979)
    Lowell George – Thanks, I'll Eat It Here (1979)
    Chicago – Chicago 17 (1984) – "Stay the Night"
    Jackson Browne – The Pretender (1976)
    Pink Floyd – The Wall (1979) – "Mother"
    Aretha Franklin – Aretha (1980), Love All the Hurt Away (1981)
    Mariya Takeuchi – Miss M (1980)
    Bee Gees – Living Eyes (1981)
    Randy Crawford – Secret Combination (1981), Windsong (1982)
    Al Jarreau – Breakin' Away (1981) – "Breakin' Away", Jarreau (1983) – "Mornin'", "Step by Step", "Black and Blues"
    Amii Ozaki – Hot Baby (1981)
    Greg Lake – Greg Lake (1981)
    Crosby, Stills & Nash – Daylight Again (1982), Allies (1983)
    Eye to Eye – Eye to Eye (1982)
    Michael Jackson – Thriller (1982) – "Beat It", "Human Nature", "The Girl is Mine", "The Lady in my Life", Dangerous (1991) – "Heal the World"
    Elton John – Jump Up! (1982)
    Melissa Manchester – You Should Hear How She Talks About You (1982)
    Donald Fagen – The Nightfly (1982)
    Herbie Hancock – Lite Me Up (1982)
    Don Henley – I Can't Stand Still (1982) – "Dirty Laundry", "New York Minute" on The End of the Innocence (1989)
    Michael McDonald – If That's What It Takes (1982) – "I Keep Forgettin'", No Lookin' Back (1985), Take It to Heart (1990)
    George Benson – In Your Eyes (1983) – "Lady Love Me (One More Time)"
    Christopher Cross – Another Page (1983) – Rendezvous (1992)
    James Newton Howard – James Newton Howard and Friends (1983) [13]
    Lionel Richie – Can't Slow Down (1983) – "Running with the Night", – Louder Than Words (1996) – "The Climbing"
    Paul Simon – Hearts and Bones (1983) – "Train in the Distance"
    Randy Newman – Trouble in Paradise (1983) – "I Love L.A."
    David Gilmour – About Face (1984)
    The Jacksons – Victory (1984) – "Torture", "Wait"
    Paul McCartney – Give My Regards to Broad Street (1984)
    Joe Walsh – The Confessor (1985)
    Eric Clapton – Behind the Sun (1985) – "Forever Man"
    Roger Hodgson – Hai Hai (1987)
    Jon Anderson – In the City of Angels (1988)
    Luis Miguel – Busca Una Mujer (1988)
    Love and Money – Strange Kind of Love (1988)
    Dr. John – In a Sentimental Mood (1989)
    Poco – Legacy (Poco album) (1989)
    Clair Marlo – Let It Go (1989)
    Celine Dion – Have a Heart (1989)
    Madonna – Like a Prayer (1989), I'm Breathless (1990)
    Sandi Patty – "Another Time...Another Place" (1990)
    Twenty Mondays – The Twist Inside (1990)
    Bryan Duncan – Anonymous Confessions of a Lunatic Friend (1990)
    Michael Bolton – Time, Love & Tenderness (1991)
    Cher – Love Hurts (1991)
    Dire Straits – On Every Street (1991)
    Richard Marx – Rush Street (1991), Paid Vacation (1993) – "One Man"
    B-52s – Good Stuff (1992)
    Bruce Springsteen – "Viva Las Vegas" (1990), Human Touch (1992)
    10cc – ...Meanwhile (1992)
    Roger Waters – Amused to Death (1992) – "It's a Miracle"
    Jude Cole – A View from 3rd Street (1990) – "Time for Letting Go", "Compared to Nothing" – Start the Car (1992) – "Open Road", "Tell The Truth".
    Paul Young – The Crossing (1993)
    Steve Porcaro – Back to You (2016) – "Someday/Somehow"
    Jerry Williams – Gone (1978)
    Fahed Mitre – Toda la Verdad (1990)
    David Benoit – Freedom at Midnight (1987) – Shadows (1991)
    Russ Taff - Walls of Glass (1983) - "Walls of Glass", "Jeremiah", "Inside Look"

The head spins when one imagines what the list would've looked like were it not for his untimely death at such a young age (age 38 in 1992). ;(

EDIT: Here's the full list of all his sessions:

http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.co…eff-porcaro-sessions.html

• Scaggs is better when he sings the blues imho. Some of his records are too disco-sounding for me, but Come On Home and other bluesy stuff is way better IMHO. There's always good guitar, though.

Never too old for rock'n'roll

• Solo at 3:06

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• great interview where the Luke mentions this recording in 10 mins...

https://www.guitarplayer.com/p…ing-studio-sessions-video

• Here is another pop song with members of Toto in the backup band - it has a great guitar solo. But, it isn’t SL.

I have live King Biscuit Flower Hour of Boz from the radio years ago where Luke played the whole thing. My favorite on that was "Falling" with this great dive bomb at the end... killer!

Gary ô¿ô

• Here's the solo live in '72. Starts at 1:38.

,,, and the original at 1:25

Solo at 3:06

That album featured so many of whom I consider to be top-notch cats it's ridiculous, Deej.

Michael Omartian – piano, synthesizer, programming, accordion
    Jay Graydon, Marty Walsh – guitars
    Gary Herbig – saxophone
    Mike Baird – drums
    Nathan East – bass guitar
    Ray Parker Jr. – rhythm guitars
    Lenny Castro – congas
    Michael Boddicker – synthesizer, programming
    John Gilston – programming
    Assa Drori – concert master
    Jerry Hey, Chuck Findley, Gary Grant, Dick Hyde, Charlie Loper – horns

• The solo:

Some John Farnham. This was a hit in Australia; all the Aussies here will know it.

John's albums of the '80s were recorded at Metropolis in Melbourne where I did my "practicals" during my 2nd AE course; it was the Mecca of high-quality recording back then. All John's albums of this period featured a who's-who of the top-notch Aussie session players of the day.

The lead in this one isn't OTT, but it's tasty. Listen 'til the end as the guitar features further:

• Wow I never realised. Great list @Monkey_Man

• External Content www.youtube.com

• Been reading through and discovered some great guitar work! Thanks everyone!

It's made me think of hearing a song you know, or a singer you know with a 'new band'...and asking yourself....'WHO ON EARTH IS PLAYING GUITAR???'

It made me think of Kevin MacMichael - he was a Canadian chap that played with Robert Plant on the Fate of Nations album...some incredibly tasteful but strong axe-work on that...well worth a listen!

I heard it when I was 12...and remember being worried my friends would find out I listened to it more than houses of the holy hehe

External Content www.youtube.com

PRS Custom 22's - Fender Strats - Diezel VH4 - Carol Ann OD2 - Toneking Imperial MK2 - Colin the Kemper - CLR Neo ii.

Edited once, last by Greg ().

• Big fan of hair metal but Autograph was always a bit more on the cheesy side in my opinion. But the solo in this song always blows me away.