Rivers of Babylon

• I’ll preface this by saying I’m primarily a metal player. I’ve worked on a few albums and EP’s; but I’m brand new to self recording. I just got an interface, DAW, monitors etc. over the last week or so.

This is one of my first attempts. I’m still getting familiar with the basic functions of digital recording, but luckily the Kemper made the fun part (tracking) a breeze. I used mostly stock profiles on this. Acoustic B, an AC30, and a bass profile all are from the pre loaded stuff. I used a Michael Britt Dumble (don’t remember which pack) for the solo. The acoustic is my Taylor 914CE and the electric is my American Standard Strat with Sumerium Cobalts Noiseless single coils.

https://instaud.io/2JN9

• Haha yeah the possibilities are endless once you take control. I’ve always got random songs running in my head, now I can sit down and just record them! I do look forward to seamlessly running my DAW and having the experience under my belt, but I will definitely enjoy this journey as it unfolds along the way.

• It's not just about enjoying the journey, which of course is paramount; what I was trying (unsuccessfully!) to get across is that one cannot replicate that feeling of first recording one's self... IMHO.

No different from losing one's virginity, I s'pose, or getting drunk or stoned for the first time.

The point being that you may need to draw on it some day; if I'd realised this, I would've made more of an effort to mark the occasion somehow, or at least write down how I felt.

• Yeah I think you’re right. It sounds a bit too loud, but also like a mic was placed quite a ways away from the amp. I’ll have to check those reverb settings in the plugin. Probably what’s causing that sound. Thanks for the feedback though!

• It's not just about enjoying the journey, which of course is paramount; what I was trying (unsuccessfully!) to get across is that one cannot replicate that feeling of first recording one's self... IMHO.

No different from losing one's virginity, I s'pose, or getting drunk or stoned for the first time.

The point being that you may need to draw on it some day; if I'd realised this, I would've made more of an effort to mark the occasion somehow, or at least write down how I felt.

Ah yes, I know what you mean now. If I could capture the words, I’d say it’s half frustration, from knowing what I want it to do, but not sure how to achieve it; and half elation, from having a random idea in my head actually play back through speakers! So I suppose it could be aptly described as Frustelating! :D

• Nice effort , I'm always pleased to see more and more kemper players taking the road of recording and writing. I dig the room tone, sounds a bit like a blues joint club.

This tool certainly opened lots of perspectives to many frustrated people ( like me before the KPA) as you can really play and don't think too long about getting a killer tone on recording.

It's also a really one of the best hobby around , as you got limitless possibilities in music, I wish I could do this all day long.

• Nice effort , I'm always pleased to see more and more kemper players taking the road of recording and writing. I dig the room tone, sounds a bit like a blues joint club.

This tool certainly opened lots of perspectives to many frustrated people ( like me before the KPA) as you can really play and don't think too long about getting a killer tone on recording.

It's also a really one of the best hobby around , as you got limitless possibilities in music, I wish I could do this all day long.

Thanks for listening, and for the feedback!

You are absolutely correct. I’ve had my Kemper for years now, and got it simply to capture my own collection of amps so I could leave them at home when I’m out playing. I was excited to learn: It has been indispensable as a recording tool for me already. I have used it to conveniently (and free!) track guitars in a friends studio, while getting DI stems for re amping at the big studio where drums and vocals got done.

This is the best hobby anyone could ever have. I’m with you too, I play as often as possible. I like the Kemper because it is so quick and painless to have my own favorite amps at any volume, in any routing configuration, at any time of day/night with exceptional sound. It’s the best piece of gear in the modern era IMO.