Why do most of the Profiles I download have the gained turned way up?

• Curious about this. I thought that when you profiled, you got your "tone" dialed perfect on your reference amp, profiled the amp, refined it by strumming hard chords, then saved it. Then when someone downloaded it they would get the tone you profiled with no EQ or Gain adjustments. The gain knob would be all the way left and the other knobs would be set at the 12:00 position.

Then if you wanted to tweak a profile a little you could add a little gain or take out some mid, etc.

The profiles I have downloaded with a few exceptions have the gain knob turned up past halfway. The profile name says "crunch tone, etc." but when I turn the gain all the way to the left it is a clean tone that comes out.

Another example, If you are going for a searing lead tone shouldn't your amp be dialed in that way so you don't have to turn the gain way up on the Kemper to get it profiled?

Am I looking at this wrong?

Your thoughts on this?

Dave

• Good question, I have been wondering the same thing. My only guess so far is that when profiling a distorted amp, if the source amp is really high gain, the gain in the KPA is higher as well (I suppose there IS a limit to how much gain is possible, period :) ). Of course that is just my guess.

• During profiling you are likely to match gain positions on the amp and on the KPA. That's the correct value for the original profile, not 0, i.e. where it sounds exactly like the original amp. The same can be true of the amp EQ controls, though most people profile with them at noon.

Gain set at 0 wouldn't be correct for most profiles (unless they were a clean profile). Otherwise you wouldn't be able to clean up a distorted profile, only add more gain in.

• Hmmm...I see the logic (being able to reduce or increase gain). My problem is that I profiled my Rivera M100 for a clean blackface-type sound. If I turn up the gain to the 12:00 position (where it theoretically would have been set by the KPA), it dirties it up to a crunch tone. I will have to do some more profiles and see what happens.

Thanks for your input!!

Dave

• Make sure to set the gain dial on the KPA at the position you want it to be in the finished profile before you start the profiling process. That's the value it will be at at the end. Normally that means set it to the same position on the KPA as on the amp itself, but you don't have to do that, you can set the KPA gain dial wherever you want, and regardless when the gain is set to that position on the Kemper then it will give you the sound of your original profile when the gain is set there by a user using your profile, and lower beneath or higher above.

• Make sure to set the gain dial on the KPA at the position you want it to be in the finished profile before you start the profiling process. That's the value it will be at at the end. Normally that means set it to the same position on the KPA as on the amp itself, but you don't have to do that, you can set the KPA gain dial wherever you want, and regardless when the gain is set to that position on the Kemper then it will give you the sound of your original profile when the gain is set there by a user using your profile, and lower beneath or higher above.

Excellent! That's how they fix it so you can either add or reduce gain. Does the same apply to the EQ controls?

Dave

• The gain knobs position is set by the kpa according to the gain the profiled amp has. It's not set by the user while profiling. Read the manual.

I didn't think the user set gain during the profiling process. I thought they were tweaking the profile after profiling it. Thanks for your feedback.

Dave

• I didn't think the user set gain during the profiling process. I thought they were tweaking the profile after profiling it. Thanks for your feedback.

Dave

Yes, but what Froschn rightfully wants to say is that the KPA sets the gain knob automatically after its estimation how high or low the gain is set on the original amp.
    In a way the gain knob mirrors the gain knob of the original amp.
    The EQ knobs behave differently. They get set to a 12 o'clock position by the KPA.