Transpose semitones

• A semitone is a half step, and this is possible with Transpose. For example, setting it to -1 is one semitone down.

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• I don't want to sound snobby but you can hear -1 is Eb if your guitar is tuned in E?

Not snobby at all. Thank you. I don’t know what I was thinking that it was full steps. I think what I meant to say was that it would be even better if we could step up or down in more incremental fractions of semitones.

Peace out,

JP (Pierre) Moatti

Edited 2 times, last by Dragonslayer ().

• Not snobby at all. Thank you. I don’t know what I was thinking that it was full steps. I think what I meant to say was that it would be even better if we could step up or down in more incremental fractions of semitones.

I know what you mean. However, the common method would be to tune to whatever frequency you're using first e.g. 442hz.

• The only problem with the rig transpose is that you don't have smooth chords for some reason. For that it is necessary to use it in the stomp slot still.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• Im confused.

If you want to use transpose, its in semitone increments.

If you want less that this, its already said you retune to a different frequency ( which is rare). I only know of Zakk Wylde who was often recorded "in between" 440 tones..

• Im confused.

If you want to use transpose, its in semitone increments.

If you want less that this, its already said you retune to a different frequency ( which is rare). I only know of Zakk Wylde who was often recorded "in between" 440 tones..

I think there are a few records that were recorded in non-standard pitch, either intentionally, or by error. Highway to Hell is down 1/4 step, I believe.

Edit: As far as why someone would want this feature as opposed to altering the tuning of the entire guitar...that's going to be the same answer as to why the transpose feature exists at all.

I'll never understand why everyone is always so quick to tell OP that the feature they want is useless, stupid, acting like they can't read or something. Yes, he used semitone inaccurately, but someone posted the same thread last week, with more precise language, and the first post was a snarky RTFM, instead of taking the time to understand the intent of the op. I instantly knew what he meant even though he used the wrong word. How many actually thought he meant semitones, and how many just wanted to take the piss out of him for using the wrong word and requesting a feature you don't want? :D

And why can't we have smooth chords on the Rig transpose? :(

Disclaimer: When I post demo clips for profiles, there will be some minimal post-processing, unless stated otherwise. I normally double-track hard L/R, and add to the main buss a small amount of EQ and a limiter/comp set pretty light as well. Sometimes I get test profiles in advance of release, though 90% of my clips will be from packs I have purchased.

Edited 2 times, last by Locrain ().

• Can you direct me where to find this in the manual?

You also interpret the OP. But I doubt whether you are right.
    The question where you can find the hint in the documentation that the steps are semitones indicates very much that whole steps and/or halfsteps is the topic

But anyway: It is legitimate to ask after a FR and it is legitimate to ask what is meant and what it could be used for.

To change the whole tuning you can edit the reference 440 Hz (perhaps within too narrow limits).
    By "perhaps too narrow limits" I mean that the range is not +/- a semitone from 440Hz. If it would be, you could adjust any tuning.

• You also interpret the OP. But I doubt whether you are right.

Worked well this time. :)

I have pretty good luck understanding people if I remain aware that we all may misuse words, and benefit from interpretation other than the absolute literal letter of our words. Letter/Vs. spirit of the law pretty much.

But anyway: It is legitimate to ask after a FR and it is legitimate to ask what is meant and what it could be used for.

Of course it is legitimate to ask questions about a FR. And if you actually thought he was asking about 1/2 step increments, then my post was not really aimed at that, but the attitude I see all the time in FR threads. There are a lot of ways to ask a question...

What application do you have in mind whre this would be be sencefull in a guitar rig?
    Kemper is not a DAW.

I see this argument a lot. Usually in metronome FR threads.

No it's not a DAW. That's a true statement. I'm also not sure when the last time I had an amp with a high/low pass/shelf on the I/O (hopefully I didn't dream that Kemper just confirmed that), or Transpose feature built in (or any number of features), and if it were common, I don't understand how transposing in 1/4 step vs 1/2 increments is any more "DAW-like" than many other things the KPA does?

Edit: "guitar rig" to be seems to indicate live use, and you may not mean that, I understand that. But wouldn't it make more sense to refer to it as a "guitar/bass/etc(we won't get into that, haha) swiss-army-knife-studio tool"? It was designed for the studio, as far as I know. Anything that would be useful for recording guitar in the studio is fair game to me. Metronome too. :D

Edit: The other post I mentioned. OP could have been clearer, but anything more than a cursery glance would reveal that the request involves less than 1/2 step increments. The first reply? RTFM.

Has anybody ever actually posted here requesting that the Transpose feature be modified to work in 1/2 step increments, and not been incorrect/unfortunate in their word choice? I'd like to see the thread. :D

Is there a way to detune the pitch like transpose function but in half step or less, so you don't need to detune the guitar when
    playing after recordings that is not at right pitch?

Regards Paul

Disclaimer: When I post demo clips for profiles, there will be some minimal post-processing, unless stated otherwise. I normally double-track hard L/R, and add to the main buss a small amount of EQ and a limiter/comp set pretty light as well. Sometimes I get test profiles in advance of release, though 90% of my clips will be from packs I have purchased.

Edited 3 times, last by Locrain ().

• I believe Pantera has used 1/4 step down also.

There is definitely a use live.

My question is for what you can use 1/4 steps transpose?.

To change the referenz frequence allows much more smaller steps.
    You have to make a new tuning but you do not loose sound quality as will notice with the tranpose function.

• I no longer play live but I can see using it to avoid having too many guitars on stage in different tunings.

Also to play along with these song without tuning down.

The loss of sound quality can be an acceptable tradeoff. Really it works rather well at higher volume.

I am all for flexibility, though along with flexibility comes more complexity which opens the door to more user error. Therefor more stress on support.

• Sure but if you play live you have bass player too and if he/he doesn't use a kemper,,,,need I say more?

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• Sure but if you play live you have bass player too and if he/he doesn't use a kemper,,,,need I say more?

I'm playing also in a big band - nobody else have a Kemper ;)

But back to the topic - I can't imagine the advantage of a transposing function with less than a semitone in a live situation.

In a studio situation a DAW would be the right solution to do this.