usb link fails

• Hi there...I have been having, this morning, an issue with RM and my kemper, issue I never had before.

Everthing is ok until some minutes in which the preview mode freezes to a certain profile of the list and cannot proceed further. RM and the kemper work ok but I cannot use preview mode anymore: the only way is to restart the kemper.

a message comes out from RM telling me that the usb link between the pc and the kemper is not good (these are not the precise words) so it cannot establish a connection. I have used two different cables, one of which is the one I have always used with absolutely no isses at all.

So it is not a cable issue. I'm thinking about the usb drivers that I might need to reinstall. where do I find them?

maybe it is an RM issue but I doubt since it works just fine alone and with the kpa hooked up to a certain point, some 10 minutes before the freezing.

some specs:
    win7 with latest updates
    kpa os release 5.1.1.12825
    rm 2.1.41.13351

"...why being satisfied with an amp, as great as it can be, while you can have them all?" michael mellner

"Rock in Ecclesia" - new album on iTunes or Google music

• EDIT:
    now, after some minutes of playing the kemper it has been freezing. It occur after I unlinked the pc to it after the usb error.

now it seems to work ok.

the usb connection really messed up things here

"...why being satisfied with an amp, as great as it can be, while you can have them all?" michael mellner

• and EDIT2:

found this guide by Arne on a win10 issue which was then solved:

"The driver is simply not installed. You can use the Gerätemanager to install it by letting it look for drivers on your computer. Point it to the folder
    C:\Programme\Kemper Amps\Driver
    Then it should install the driver. Alternatively, just run the Rig Manager installer again and choose "Repair".
    "

does it applies to me as well?

• no, i'm connecting with an usb cable, no things between kpa and pc, same cable always used in the past and working well.

compard to the past I have formatted the entire pc recently, but had installed a fresh RM. I didn't install the usb driver as a separate installation but I guess they were installed as I hooked up with the kpa. In fact, as soon as I plugged the cable, win driver procedure started and immediately I saw kpa name after the installation on the window down low to the right of the screen.

• UPDATE:

hi again...tried the repair procedure but the issue is there again. I could take a picture of the message I got from RM:

any other ideas for solution?

• what's wrong? nothing at all! but since GString is reading us I thought I could go from here.

But if he advice as you do, I'll contact the kpa support...

• Hi Michael,

Hmmm what would I do in this case?

First new cable
    Try another usb input if you have a second or third one on your computer

Uninstall rm and install an older version just to check out if the message comes up. Maybe you can update the older version . I have done that with a laptop of a fruend of mine because with win 10 rm was not working on his system. After doing that it worked?!? Dont ask me why but it was so.

That's all. If all these things didnt work I think it can be a jack problem of the kpa ( hope it isnt...)

Maybe you have already checked all these things.

Just my 2 cents

Cheers

Frank

• what's wrong? nothing at all! but since GString is reading us I thought I could go from here.

But if he advice as you do, I'll contact the kpa support...

I would contact the support anyway if there is a notice by the operating software.
    As far as I now know the habits here, a forum entry is not automatically forwarded to support.
    The boys(girls) there are actually quite fast and cooperative.
    Good luck for solving your problem.

• thanks guys for your help.

To answer some questions, yes: I did try a second usb cable, did try a second usb port.

Only thing remaining is to uninstal and reinstall RM from scratch but I don't know if this will work since I already did repair with the installation tool.

I contacted support already and will let you know how it goes

• michaelmellner, did you have any luck getting an answer for your question?

I've recently ran into the same problem with losing connection. I'm using a Mac, and I had a 4 usb hub connected with both my interface and the kemper connected. It happened several times over a few days...

I purchased individual usb c to usb3 converters for the interface and kemper....and there hasn't been a problem since.

I can only assume it was something faulty in the 4 input usb hub.

Will report back if any problems show up again.

• hi reedly, no...the support couldn't help me. They told me that I sould have checked the cable (done) and to get rid, while using kemper hooked to laptop, of any other usb things plugged (done).

nothing have changed! I have uninstalled it and reinstalled but no results.

Now I have only two things to do: 1) uninstall RM completely trying to cancel everything on the pc with RM on it, maybe even the registry and 2) wait for an update hoping it'll cure the problem. I know there is a beta version now. As soon as the release comes out I'll try and will let you know. Please do the same if you have any ew solution that gave you success with it, ok?

let's keep in touch

• Hey Michael,

I'm not 100% certain our issue is the same...but I have been able to fix my issue, (it seems) by doing away with the usb hub(x4) that I was using. I purchased 2 more single apple brand usbC to usb3 adapters and I have not had the problem since.

• clearly this is not the same issue since I plug the kemper directly in a usb port of the laptop. I have two 2.0 port and one 3.0. I cannot use the 3.0 since it doesn't even see the kemper plugged.

The 2.0 works ok but after some minutes the freezing, no matter the port used.

I have few time now, but as soon as possible I will try to clean the laptop of every kemper entry to check if a totally fresh installation of RM can solve the issue...o maybe a new release can cure the thing.

happy to know you have achieved a solution :)