Profiling high gain amps

• I have found that the more preamp gain your amp has, the lower the amp's master level should be set to get the best profile - too much power amp distortion seems to confuse the KPA, resulting in a less satisfying profile.

All modelers known to man 8o

• You play for Neil Diamond right? I can't see how you could possibly be so concerned with high gain so much. :P Neil coming out with a djent album or something? Now that would be something.

• I have found that the more preamp gain your amp has, the lower the amp's master level should be set to get the best profile - too much power amp distortion seems to confuse the KPA, resulting in a less satisfying profile.

What does give you this Impression?
    To my understanding I set the amp that is to be profiled to the settings that I like best.
    Of course we all know that there are amps that get their mojo from driving the power amp hard (e.g. Plexi Marshalls) and ones that get their power more from preamp distortion (e.g. Mesa Rectifiers).
    But the KPA should profile them all just fine.
    And the profiles from more poweramp distortion dependent amps that I've already heard prove that IMO.

I agree with you this time :)

You can read about it in Profiling Manual page 44 and page 50.

Saludos!

That's a very good point. Will try profiling with less power amp distortion.
    Thanks for your tip.

• You play for Neil Diamond right? I can't see how you could possibly be so concerned with high gain so much. :P Neil coming out with a djent album or something? Now that would be something.

LOL! 8o Believe it or not, Neil let's me cut loose on some high gain solos to give the show a bit more 'edge' - it ain't no Pat Boone show! (although even Pat did a heavy metal album!) 8o

• What does give you this Impression?
    To my understanding I set the amp that is to be profiled to the settings that I like best.
    Of course we all know that there are amps that get their mojo from driving the power amp hard (e.g. Plexi Marshalls) and ones that get their power more from preamp distortion (e.g. Mesa Rectifiers).
    But the KPA should profile them all just fine.
    And the profiles from more poweramp distortion dependent amps that I've already heard prove that IMO.

Doc - I was going by personal experiences in profiling my high gain amps, & thought it might be helpful. If you are getting satisfying profiles, that's all that counts. :thumbup: