Unpowered Kemper volume issues

• I just got the unpowered Kemper rack, its amazing and I love it so far, but I cannot get the volume out of it that one would expect from a head of this caliber. Right now I am connected to an Orange 2x12 and if I connect my little Orange 15/7 watt Jim Root terror head, the thing can easily blow you out of the room, but when I turn the Kemper up and play with output settings I cannot even get half the volume out of it. It would be a shame to return this thing because I am probably just missing something obvious, being that I am a complete Kemper noob and all. Any help would be appreciated!

Here is some relevant info: I am using the main outs, left and right using normal heavy grade speaker cable going directly into the 2x12 so I'm not in the wrong inputs/outputs

• I understand that, but you would think an amp head like this would be able to drive reasonable volume connected to a normal speaker cabinet. I'm just surprised is all as I heard that the only reason to get the powered version is if you need to power speakers that require that kind of power

• Naw, I just didn't do enough research on this before I made the order is all. I assumed it would function like any normal head and push enough power but I was wrong. I guess power amp it is

• Don't forget to take selling your 212 and buying a powered FRFR speaker instead of buying a poweramp into consideration. By using a traditional guitar cab you'll miss out on many of the features that make the Kemper the fantastic machine that it is.

• I messed up big time here. I should have gotten the powered version of this but everything I read was basically saying "the only difference is one needs powered speakers and the other doesn't" thereby confusing me and making me assume the unpowered version just functioned like a 50 or 100 watt amp head. I was going to return the Kemper but honestly... I'm in love with the thing so I think I will keep it and follow the advice. I really appreciate you guys taking the time!

• Yeah, I am going to order one this week. I have a 2000 watt power amp for my mixer and PA system but that would be overkill, lol. I simply thought that the powered version meant that in addition to the amp it had another power amp built in, so the whole "powered vs unpowered" thing is what confused me. Technically the unpowered version is powered because it will drive a speaker, it just wont drive it loud enough to practice with a band. I dunno, I guess I thought I was still getting a head that had enough wattage to push more volume. Now I know! The only reason I am keeping this thing is because of how f$%^*&g amazing it is!

• You could get either one of these too, just an option. Check them out.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I would take Christoph Kemper’s advice and return it for a powered version. It does everything the unpowered does plus drives a traditional guitar cab if/when required in a simple all in one solution.

If that isn’t an option then all of the other suggestions are valid options and you just need to find the one that suits your own needs best.