Unwanted Noise Problems While Playing High Gain Profiles

• Hi there,

I'm having a pretty annoying noise problem while playing high-gain stuff.

It almost sounds like feedback overlaying the main sound and - since I'm brand new to the KPA-world - I wonder if this might be a problem with the KPA.

I've attached an example using the "LL-Schmatz"-profile from the Lasse Lammert Rig Pack.

The Guitar is an ESP LTD EC-1000 Piezo, with Seymour Duncan SH-1 '59 and SH-4 JB pickups installed. For this example, I was using the magnetic pickups only.

The problem is very audible at around 13 seconds into the clip, but thoughout the whole take.

It's also not related to the LL-profile only, I'm getting the same unwanted distortion on almost all high gain-profiles.

Reducing the output on the guitar didn't help too much, without loosing that specific sound and there's no clipping going on, wether in the KPA nor on my audio interface.

What's wrong? :(

• It sounds like sympathetic vibrations and/or fret buzz to me.
    I would start checking the string action height and the muting technique.
    I also think that too much compression could emphasize these unwanted noises as well.

• Hi there,

I'm having a pretty annoying noise problem while playing high-gain stuff.

I
    What's wrong? :(

It's an acoustic guitar ? You play high gain stuff with an acoustic? Well my SUGGESTION is that you buy another guitar (electric or jazz semi acoustic, a bargain somewhere even a cheap one) and then use that guitar for the HIGH GAIN STUFF and keep the acoustic for ballads or you know smooth stuff... Otherwise youll have problems after problems ... Feedback on shows etc etc So that my humble opinion and I wont debate on that or try to convince you more than that comment

PS BTW I was playing acoustic before but since I got my Kemper I got great acoustic sounds , ambiant with my 2 electric guitars You know to get acoustic sounds on electric ready for gigs is easier than getting HIGH GAIN stuff with an acoustic with the brand FEEDBACK written on it. ;) Good luck

• Thanks for your quick help, guys!

This is not an acoustic guitar, you can completely circumvent the piezos... but I only have a Fender telecaster as an alternative, which generally is not really comparable with these kind of sounds... its awesome with clean to mid-gain profiles though!

I also think it might be related to fret buzzing and bad technique, since I'm not that great of a player, but I just wanted to rule out any technical problems with the unit first! :D

• I did!

With the tele it's not that noticable and I guess that's because of the lower output PUs...

I always thought that active pickups would be better suited for such high level gain stages... maybe it's somehow releated to the piezo system, although I'm not even using it...

On the other hand, I really need to improve on my technique... :P

• That rules out your Kemper being the issue then! :thumbup:

• Yes as i said half of the problems of the Forum are not related to the Kemper but the gear around it
    (exemple : latency created not by the Kemper but an audio card on the DAW)
    But at first the title will be

MY KEMPER GOT A LATENCY PROBLEM

lol

• That rules out your Kemper being the issue then! :thumbup:

Yeah, I know what you mean, but my thread wasn't intended to bash the KPA in any way... I just wanted to get the opinion of more experienced users!

So, thanks, guys... I guess, I will just return the instrument first...

Its a free world My point is not to bash you either , everyone is welcome to talk about ANY problems here about the Kemper directly or undirectly, with the gears connected to it My point was only to say that many times the problem is outside the Kemper with the outside gears. Most of the time we'll have a problem in the chain that is connected to the Kemper... I just find it funny that Kemper is the culprit at first and suddenly the member realise its not. Dont take my comment too seriously Cool?

• My point is not to attack anyone here as everyone is welcome to talk about ANY problems about the Kemper directly or with the gears connected to it thats important too. My point was only to say that many times the problem is outside the Kemper with the outside gears. But its ok to talk about it too coz most of the time we'll have a problem in the chain that is connected to the Kemper

Sure, we've all been there at some point lol. All good! ;) I had a bad cable just the other day at soundcheck before the gig and was like wtf, where is this volume drop-static coming from??? Started with my output setting making sure it was set to "master stereo", gain levels, EQ, etc, etc...

Changed out the TS cable to the board and gig went off without a hitch as planned. Nothing wrong with the KPA! :D

• I wouldn't return the instrument just yet.

Unless its wired wrong, the piezo will have nothing to do with it if bypassed. So it sounds like a set up problem, LTD's are reasonable guitars so I'd get a tech to check it over.

You'll be surprised what different a good set up can make!

• Sure, we've all been there at some point lol. All good! ;) I had a bad cable just the other day at soundcheck before the gig and was like wtf, where is this volume drop-static coming from??? Started with my output setting making sure it was set to "master stereo", gain levels, EQ, etc, etc...
    Changed out the TS cable to the board and gig went off without a hitch as planned. Nothing wrong with the KPA! :D

Oh gee yes... problem at sound check, I even had a problem while public starts to enter and sit down waiting for the show. I was playing keyboard on that one and I had lost the connection between my midi keyboard and the sound module... I was in total panic... Then I thought ok lets calm down otherwise I wont be able to fix it and I fix it 5 minutes before the show started (it was a bad cable again)

• I had my KPA go down mid guitar solo during a show...

Initial panic but yes you have to calm down and be systematic...turned out the euro plug had worked loose! The audience were waiting for my KPA to then boot up!