I Intend to start a study about commercial profiles

• If you are getting too much gain with a similar guitar, have you tried turning the guitar volume down?

Or perhaps slightly better: Turning down distortion sense until it matches.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• Listening with nearfields sounds to me that there is the same issue still i.e. your clip from Ruben /13 part is again different from the original audio in the video. Yours have this boosted highs/scooped mids thing going on whereas the original has meaty mids. It is easier to hear the more overdrive there are probably due to added harmonics that accentuate it..

Maybe , but that have no influence to my recorded guitarline. Rubens oart is recorded from youtube into my cubase, my guitar is recorded direct in cubase and the sound of the marshall is really bad out of the box. When I use profiles from Guidorist, LRS, Mattfig or some others, they sound very good. But as written, I give up to match ghe vid sound and continue playing with profiles that work for me.

• I've played the same riff on my PRS McCarty SInglecut and PRS Custom 24 and get very similar sound esp. when I coil split. The humbucker characteristics come through as expected. Will try JEMs and Starts when I have a bit of time.

• I have questions for all of you who can’t get the same sound as the you hear in the demo (assuming the demo Is a single guitar, not double tracked, and not a full mix):

Are you playing a similar kind of guitar?

Have you tried playing the exact same chords/riffs with the same physical approach?

If you are getting too much gain with a similar guitar, have you tried turning the guitar volume down?

asnwers are:

1) yes, similar guitar, meaning standard (not pumped) humbuckers, similar string gauge, even same type of guitar body, meaning not a Gibson vs a Strat, but sometimes charvel vs charvel

2) yes, most of the time I play the same thing listened

3) no because it is not necessary since the picups are, as mentioned, standard one

never tried modification of dist sens thought since I thought it was ok at present setting, which is 0

"...why being satisfied with an amp, as great as it can be, while you can have them all?" michael mellner

"Rock in Ecclesia" - new album on iTunes or Google music

• The only accurate method is using a DI recording and reamping it as it eliminates all the variables like different guitars, pickups, picks, playing technique, age and gauge of strings etc.

ok Hjscheffler and schreckmusic...let's do it! how do we proceed? :)

"...why being satisfied with an amp, as great as it can be, while you can have them all?" michael mellner

"Rock in Ecclesia" - new album on iTunes or Google music

• ok Hjscheffler and schreckmusic...let's do it! how do we proceed? :)

record a DI track and post it and then let others reamp it using the same rig that you found to sound different from a demo (provided that it is either a free download or everybody who wants to contribute already owns it) Reamp sens must be set to the same level on all Profilers and so does Pure cab and the Master EQ.

• @Monkeyman I hear what you're saying and trust me if I thought I was deliberately 'enhancing' the sound to mask bad profiling I'd be with you 100%. I would categorically state that if I removed the slight master bus compression and tape sim, no one would be able to tell the difference it's that subtle.

I'm being fully open about my particular process here as I've nothing to hide and stand by my profiles.

I will perhaps in future then go back to a direct straight out into my surface if people feel that using good recording studio/tape is enhancing the sound.

Nobody's suggesting it's to mask bad Profiling, of course. To my mind it's just a simple matter of principle.

Any example posted should be what you hear out of the box. No matter how subtle you claim the tape sim and SSL bus compression to be, the fact is it's processing many guitarists don't have and even if they did, wouldn't have it conveniently instantiated in their master buses when auditioning your Profiles. I'll bet most guitarists and bass players never audition Profiles this way anyway, and probably monitor from their cabs, KPA h'phone outs or audio interfaces straight to studio monitors.

IMHO, every single Profiler who posts examples that're processed in any way whatsoever is shooting himself in the foot, let alone if it's not explicitly stated what's been done to them.

Just MHO, of course; take it with a pinch of salt if you like.

• I would argue the volume pot changes the tone more though. Ymmv.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• Hi Michael, any particular demo you are referring to here? Could be interesting to try it.

• Yesyes - I was only arguing (should stop I know) that if you want to match the amount of gain on a profile demo to your specific guitar then distortion sense is often better than rolling down your guitar volume. Over'n out.

• Yesyes - I was only arguing (should stop I know) that if you want to match the amount of gain on a profile demo to your specific guitar then distortion sense is often better than rolling down your guitar volume. Over'n out.

no argument honestly. My point earlier about riding the volume knob was just an observation that several demos (Tone Junkie for example) often do ride the volume pot which can change the sound quite a bit depending on the guitar being used so it is another potentially significant variable rather than simply a means of matching the gain.

• no argument honestly. My point earlier about riding the volume knob was just an observation that several demos (Tone Junkie for example) often do ride the volume pot which can change the sound quite a bit depending on the guitar being used so it is another potentially significant variable rather than simply a means of matching the gain.

I always ride the volume pot on my demo's because of the kind of amps I use. Some players don't work that way, they use pedals and keep their volume on full.

@Monkeyman, I hear what your saying and I'll personally bear that in mind for my next demos. If I record to tape in my studio then should I say in the notes these demos were recorded to tape? 2 db of master compression is a lot less than will happen if you upload to you tube, or convert to mp3. Also if you're recording the analogue out's from the Kemper the quality of the AD conversion will have an effect, should that be specified too? my Apogee convertors sound different from my Yamaha/steinberg ones, that will affect what your hearing in the demos if your listening on a good system. where do we stop with this?

all food for thought.

Marcus

• I don't think it's uncommon or unrealistic to note what gear you use in recording. I often see something like "recorded through a Focusrite 18i20 interface direct to ProTools with no additional processing" in the text associated with demos.

Brian