Anyone tried profiling a VG99

• I once owned a Roland VG99
    Some of the modelled synth sounds were stellar.
    I know its designed to work properly with a 6 string pickup but was wondering whether anyone had access to one to try profiling them anyway?
    They are modelled sounds and may at least work well on single string passages.
    Just a thought

• Yeah, I know, but the sounds Im talking about are actually modelled guitar sounds, as opposed to the pcm synth sounds on the roland guitar synths.
    Think of the synth sounds on the HD500, that sort of thing.

• I remember there was a particularly good jump patch and a fantastic hammond, both on the user forum.
    Dunno whether it would work, but gotta be worth a try....
    Cheers hippietim

If you can track down the patches let me know. Keep in mind that no patch will work for this that requires the COSM guitar modeling. The non GK input bypasses that and all you get are effects and amp modeling.

You could try it with a breakout box like RMC makes but you'd only be hitting the COSM modeling on one "string" and I suspect that the waveforms that the Kemper emits during profiling would be considered polyphonic. I don't know how well the VG would respond to that so the results may be pretty far from what you want. Also, I don't have a breakout box so I don't have a way to try it.

• Ah you're right of course hippietim.
    Its so long since I had the VG99 I forgot and wasn't thinking of the GK3 input for the synth sounds.
    Shame, it would have been nice to have some whacky synth sounds..

• If you really wants COSM sounds on the KPA, just put a Wha on block D and leave it engaged at approx half way....... :D :D :D Is going to still sound better then the original...

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• I have used the VG-99 for several years and have found great amps sounds that work well in the studio.
    I profiled them perfectly with the Kemper using the 1/4 guitar in.
    I could NEVER match them with any other gear I have owned.
    For my work it was imperative that I could have my VG-99 amp sounds.
    When I was able to profile them it pushed me over the edge in love with the Kemper.

• I have used the VG-99 for several years and have found great amps sounds that work well in the studio.
    I profiled them perfectly with the Kemper using the 1/4 guitar in.

And now you even proved that it is possible to profile some synth and other sounds using the GK input!!!

I have a lot of VG-99 sounds that I love. Some of them have plenty of compressors, modulations, wahs, delays, reverbs and so on.
    The manual says to not use them when profiling.

Two questions:
    - Did you really turn off all these when you profiled all your sounds? And replaced them later with the effects inside the Kemper? (This must be quite a time-consuming job!?)
    - Is there a possibility to compare the sounds? Say, I have a VG-99 sound with some Reverb and Flanger. I turn these off while profiling. Now I'd like to re-add those effects to the profile and A-B to my Reference Sound. But in the profiling mode when I add an effect, it also gets added to my reference sound.

• Yes you need to turn the effects and compressor off before profiling.
    This includes the noise gate.

I find adding the effects back after does not take that much time.
    Most likely you used a similar compression setting in many of your VG
    settings.
    After I profile I use the send on the Kemper to feed the
    input of the VG-99 and use a simple A/B box to switch back and forth
    between the Kemper and VG-99 outputs.
    This way you can add the effects back and bounce back and forth between the units to check your match.
    Bill

• After I profile I use the send on the Kemper to feed the
    input of the VG-99 and use a simple A/B box to switch back and forth
    between the Kemper and VG-99 outputs.

Oh thanks! This is clever, and that's what I was looking for!

The send (or direct out) on the Kemper carries the dry guitar signal. Great! Thanks!