Using a cab!

• Okay I’m gonna give it a go and use a real cab for my Kemper. I’m getting a Remote and I’ve got a Powerhead and a 1x12 Friedman with a Creamback in it.

The speaker is 16ohms. What kind of profiles work best and is this speaker okay?

On a second note: The Mission Gemini 2; I’ve been looking into it a bit and it seems like it’s FRFR but it’s more like a regular cab. Is this right?

• Careful as to not overpower that creamback, t's only 65W. The Mission can do both IIRC, if you dial it in but @ashtweth could tell you the real scoop cuz he owns two of those badboys! :thumbup:

So just don’t crank the power amp too much? Or what should I look out for? Thanks.

I’m not a fan of FRFR. Only the FR212 from Matrix satisfied me. It ‘thumped’ and felt like a real cabinet with cabs on in the Kemper. Very interested to hear @ashtweth thinks!

• Thanks Shawn, Yep Tone Junky did a video and pointed out the difference in sounds when tweaking the mission cab back from FRFR to cab . It can go flat (i recommend flat all the time still sounds killer) but still can get that "is my amp in the room" feel, i dont know why people want that, FRFR kicks my ass, especially 2 stereo fields as i run 2 mission cabs. You just need the right profile with FRFR high Gain.

its more FRFR than a guitar cab but in a good way (IMHO)
    Man it sounds better flat with the stereo effects ill say that much

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

• Thanks Shawn, Yep Tone Junky did a video and pointed out the difference in sounds when tweaking the mission cab back from FRFR to cab . It can go flat (i recommend flat all the time still sounds killer) but still can get that "is my amp in the room" feel, i dont know why people want that, FRFR kicks my ass, especially 2 stereo fields as i run 2 mission cabs. You just need the right profile with FRFR high Gain.

its more FRFR than a guitar cab but in a good way (IMHO)
    Man it sounds better flat with the stereo effects ill say that much

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Ash

I always found FRFR lacking and doesn’t feel right in the mix. Maybe way too bright is the best explanation, and no thump.

I had a Matrix FRFR which was decent tbh.

I’ll check out the video.

• Very good video.

So if I were to run it at the way they suggest, more as a cab but at 2 on the dial, would you still have cabs on in the Kemper or would you turn it off?

If they are kept on does each profile sound different or do they retain a similar quality?

Thanks.

• Cabs should be on, you would also have to switch between pure cab and find what sounds best for you /that profile.

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

• Cabs should be on, you would also have to switch between pure cab and find what sounds best for you /that profile.

Ash

sure. And how do you run your one? More cab like or more flat?

I’m also wondering how you prefer it to a real cab when more in cab mode. Thanks again.

• Well I’ve tried it with the Line 6 Powercab and I still hate FRFR. It sounded decent with the cab mode on, but with my Friedman 112 cab it sounds very boomy. Even when I dial stuff out it just doesn’t have what I want from it.

It’s perfect for recording, I’ll just have to accept that it’s not a live tool for me.

• I Run it 100% Flat, as i want the full benefit of FRFR in stereo. Typically i leave the pure cab setting on my friend

Ash

• People always say how great it sounds with a cab/FRFR but I’m not experiencing it. I wonder if I’m doing something fundamentally wrong here! I love using it for recording and headphone playing, through monitors at home etc.

Cab was very boomy on nearly all profiles. Couldn’t really dial it out. Maybe it’s the Creamback with the Kemper or something.

Where in the UK are you Phil?

I run both a regular cab ( 4 x12) and FRFR...I prefer FRFR but use the 4 x 12 for a bigger spread...

East London/Essex mate. Why’s that?

• Maybe others have said it, but here is my simple solution. First, a few givens:
    I’m a very long term amp player;
    I’ve tried lots of FRFR solutions;
    I have a powered Kemper

My personal solution:

1. If performing at a live venue, send the main out with a great IR to FOH.

2. At rehearsals and on-stage, send the powered output, without IR, to a great guitar speaker cabinet.

This works perfectly.

FRFR cabinets are awful to a guitarist’s ear - at least that’s my opinion.

When will my talent upgrade be released?

• Well I went and played a Power Cab for a second time and I honestly think it sounds pretty great with the inbuilt cabs from the Powercab. Some were more digital with different profiles but then sounded quite natural and ‘Amp in the room’ with others.

I’m gonna start making performance rigs tonight.

Is there any way to ensure volume parity across the different profiles in the same performance or do you just have to balance them yourself and then use the monitor output to increase the overall volume?

And does anyone have any tips for doing the same for multiple performances?

Thanks.

• I've balanced them manually. Most are pretty close but I've changed volumes mainly for solo sounds for example.

If you get drastically diffent volmues between clean and distored, look at the clean sense settings ( check the manual), other wise just use the volume to set the right level for each rig in a perfomance. Its really quick.

Use the master volume to control overall output if using a powerhead or rack. If not set the master to control whatever output you take to your cab. remeber to unlink that to the PA output so that remains consistant ( most people set to around -18db).

Hope that makes sense.

• Careful as to not overpower that creamback, t's only 65W.

I've wondered about this for years about my powered toaster. So right now I'm using a cannabis rex in a 1x12, it's 50 watts @ 8ohms. I have to turn up the monitor out up to or past 50% for it to be anywhere close to as loud as any tube head at around 20-30 watts through the same speaker (this use to be in a Fender Super sonic 60). To me, the basic math would suggest I'm pumping well over 100 watts ,probably over 200 if running at 8ohms. Most would like rationally that it's 300 or more but I'm going to be conservative for the class D amp in the toaster. What is really too much? A further push for wattage output display on a firmware update. 0 power amp boost is being used.

Also, my Seismic cab with 2x15s has to be pushed about the same but I use the power amp boost about half way. It's 600 watts at 4ohms.