How to emulate the automatic double track effect?

• I’ve never used the mimiq but I believe it does some clever stuff like varying the delay time slightly to make it more convincing. If that’s right then I don’t think you can create the exact same effect but you can get very close with a stereo delay with one delay set to 0 and the other around 30ms

Stereo routing for spread effect

• @Wheresthedug
    Thanx for the reply. I didnt realize there has been a discussion about this already. I was too caught up in the khabib-mcgregor fiasco haha.

I dont have my kemper w/ me right now, will however try this once i fly back home

Post tenebras lux

• @Wheresthedug
    Thanx for the reply. I didnt realize there has been a discussion about this already. I was too caught up in the khabib-mcgregor fiasco haha.

I dont have my kemper w/ me right now, will however try this once i fly back home

No idea what the khabib-mcgregor fiasco is but hope the settngs help :)

First fight I've watched in several years. What a f**king fiasco indeed. Never seen anything like that.

Edit: #Connorhaditcoming

Disclaimer: When I post demo clips for profiles, there will be some minimal post-processing, unless stated otherwise. I normally double-track hard L/R, and add to the main buss a small amount of EQ and a limiter/comp set pretty light as well. Sometimes I get test profiles in advance of release, though 90% of my clips will be from packs I have purchased.

Edited once, last by Locrain ().

• @Wheresthedug

It was dreadful. I know Connor overstepped the trash talk, but khabib and his team did was so wrong, totally ruins the sport. He handled it so well up until that point... Bisping was on the money with his comments...

Sorry, back to the discussion!

• Not sure if you found the setting you were looking for but here is one I use:

Dual Delay

Mix 100.0/91.8%

Delay 1 Time 32 ms

Delay 2 Time 49 ms

Delay Balance +22.1%

Feedback 1 0%

Feedback 2 (is grayed out)

Low Cut 107.0 Hz

High Cut 3994.5 Hz

Reverse Mix 0%

Stereo 200%

all other settings at 0

I put this after the stack so that it can be heard in stereo (works OK in mono, but really works best in stereo)

If you are using reverb also, be sure and adjust the Del+Rev Balance(in the reverb settings) to taste.

Be Thankful.

• I have been trying it and recording I get similar results as doubling a track with a 25% Pan to each side. But it was lacking some high end so I tried it just eliminating completely the EQ cuts in the delay preset and it worked better. I guess for me, as a preset, it works best with no EQ in the delay but I am sure that depending on the desired effect it could sound better cutting some frequencies.

• By doubling, do you mean actually double-tracking, or just copy/paste? Because an identical copied track will need some slight delay to approximate a double-tracked sound, panning won't really do anything without it (it'll basically stay in mono).

The setting above looks good, a little more delay than I normally use, but if it works, it's a decent trick. I'd guess that the EQ in the delay is to further "separate" it from the original signal and trick the ear int0 thinking it's two different tracks?

I went ahead and took a try at it. Please overlook the sloppiness and the fact that I totally lost the metronome towards the end of the last snippet, haha.

00:00 is a single-tracked guitar in mono.

00:12 is the delay settings given above, too weird sounding for me.

00:27 is without the EQ and and less delay, about 22ms, better, but still sounds like an effect, and not a double-tracked guitar to my ears.

At 00:40 is a take copied and pasted to another track, panned hard L/R, we should be able to hear that this is not any different from 00:00, except for being louder since there are two signals. Even though I have panned each one 100%, they are identical tracks, so they get summed to mono.

00:54, this is the same take as last time copied to another track just like the last snippet, except this time, one of the tracks has been delayed by 20 ms using the track inspector in Studio One, and panned hard L/R. This sounds good to me, and is the only one so far that I would consider an acceptable double-tracked "trick", I could leave this in a recording and be ok with it. You can hear the stereo "width", and the illusion that the part is double-tracked.

1:04, this is true double tracking, panned hard. It's pretty sloppy on my part (especially the end, haha, not sure what I did there), but this is true double-tracking, and I think it sounds a lot better than the 20 ms cheat method above...though if I didn't have time (for some reason) to double-track, I'd be fine using the 20 ms method within the DAW.

The mimiq effect mentioned sounds really cool, if I could add something to the DAW version of the trick, it'd be some sort of randomizer/humanizer so that it's not always exactly 20 ms behind.

Hope this helps even a little bit. :)

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Disclaimer: When I post demo clips for profiles, there will be some minimal post-processing, unless stated otherwise. I normally double-track hard L/R, and add to the main buss a small amount of EQ and a limiter/comp set pretty light as well. Sometimes I get test profiles in advance of release, though 90% of my clips will be from packs I have purchased.

Edited once, last by Locrain ().

• Yes by doubling I mean real doubling. I then proceded to find the paning % to match the doubled version with the "feeling" of the delay preset. And they wheree the most similar at 25% left and 25% right.

It is true that in your takes the delay trick sounds weird. I actually only tried with chords and not with a riff with single notes like yours. I will try a similar riff and report back.

• Yes by doubling I mean real doubling. I then proceded to find the paning % to match the doubled version with the "feeling" of the delay preset. And they wheree the most similar at 25% left and 25% right.

It is true that in your takes the delay trick sounds weird. I actually only tried with chords and not with a riff with single notes like yours. I will try a similar riff and report back.

Exactly. The Delay trick "should" work just as well as the in-DAW delay that I used that worked very well. I am not an effects guy, so I am unsure of how to modify the settings to get it closer, but it should be doable...I mean, if Transpose works as well as it does, a little real-time stereo delay should be achievable?

• Here.

I think there is something in your profile that makes the weirdness worse. Maybe a reverb or other delay?.

I´m using here a very dry rig from the Rig Exchange: MegaTrash by Lasse Lammert.

First one mono, second one with the delay trick (no EQ) and third a true double with a 25% pan left and 25% pan right each track.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Haha, not at all, I'm honored. Or I would be if I had wrote it haha, Of Mice and Men 'Would You Still Be There?'. On mobile now, but will listen soon. I don't think I had a reverb or anything on? But I can't be sure. I'll try it using that profile as well.

• They "effect" is definitely less pronounced on yours, not sure what the deal is exactly. I don't think I had a 'verb on or anything. Here's a clip using the MegaThrash profile from LL. 1st is single/mono, second is the "delay trick", and 3rd is actual double-tracking. The "delay trick" sounds better than in my other clip, but I still hear that effect, but not quite as badly (edit: I dunno, that's pretty bad...). But the actual double-track just shoots it right in it's face, not even close. I would like to find a good solution through, for live use. That would be really cool, to thicken up those rhythm lines. my attempts so far are just too cheesy. I don't think it's anything in my settings, not sure what it'd be, no post work done on the clips.

Edit: I keep futzing up the harmonics too. I'll get it eventually. :D

• Space setting?. I kind of hear it in your mono take. Do you have it set to "headphone only"? Maybe it is that "simulated room reveb" what the delay is picking.

Of course the effect is not like in a double take hard panned left and right, but it´s better than the mono take I think.

• My initial thougt by looking for the similar pan in the real double take was to check if at least the effect was able to reproduce some kind of doubling, even a subtle one for live use. And then try to fiddle with delay settings to make it as wide as possible.

I´m not a big fan of the double hard panned if only with two takes. I would do it if I had a third one in the middle to fill the gaps. Or maybe 4 or 6...:D:D:D

• I´m not a big fan of the double hard panned if only with two takes. I would do it if I had a third one in the middle to fill the gaps. Or maybe 4 or 6...:D:D:D

Well, that's what the rest of the band is for! :D

To each their own, but it's fairly standard for modern rock tunes.

Dunno what the deal is, space is set to headphones only, purecab is off globally...not sure. :)