So I got an AXE FX II recently and have some comments as I have two kempers..

• Hey Guys.

I was very lucky to obtain an AXE FX super cheap and after a few days with it, wanted to provide some thoughts.

For me, I'm a studio / live player and the Kemper has been the greatest thing I have come across.. intuitive and easy to use. We all know how great the unit is.
    So it had me wondering.. what am I missing out on? So luckily I found a chap wanting to fire sale out his FXii before shooting overseas and I took the plunge.

The short answer is the AXE FX just isn't for me.. and while I am in no hurry to sell it, I'll be using the Kempers for my creative playing. What I find important is the ability to hit my studio and start playing.. not spending hours altering the level fifth parallel of whatever that is.. Gimme a killer JCM800 and I'm good.. or any sinmix profile!
    Much of this is the way Kemper works and is a creative and fun tool. I need something that works and works fast. I find the Kemper is easy to manipulate and has an almost organic feel when dialing in tones or altering settings where as the AXE was a fairly sterile experience. (i'm sounding like an advertisement right?)

Tonally.. I did find the AXE FX was wonderful and sounded tremendous. The Kemper to my ears is equally good and add the fun and intuitive nature of the product and it's a winner for me.

• Kinda the same situation with the Kemper and AX8 for me. When I sold the Kemper and picked up an AmpliFIRE (original) it was super clear to me how much better the Kemper was. The AX8 was different though. It took me a while, but I was able to dial in a bunch of good to GREAT presets, but... I always romanticized (in my head) how great my old Kemper was.

It was a cold shower when I bought the Kemper again. It was still great, but the chasm between the Kemper and the AX8 was very small indeed. For some tones the AX8 was the winner and for other tones the Kemper was the winner. :/

I'm now convinced that whichever one I possess, makes me want the other more. :rolleyes:

• The weird thing also after conversations with a few friends is, that it's tough to form an opinion on the other without really spending time with either unit.. I think that's kinda obvious.

Alot of people who spends 3k on a unit are going to convince themselves its the best thing ever anyway. It's like getting a Tattoo.. even if it sucks the owners tend to love it. (no.. i know neither units sucks ;)

I know two axe fx users who really gave me a hard time about getting the Kemper. They held so many preconceived opinions until one of them came over and saw how intuitive and fast is it to get a world class tone. Again, I know we love the Kemper.. but as stated on this forum, Fractal users can be a little over opinionated with maybe not truly understanding the process of using the Kemper.

Application has alot to do with it. I need a light, powerful, reliable and flexible solution... the Kemper hands me that and hands me that fast.

• Sorry to hijack the thread but I glanced at the sinmix presets. What do you like about them? I don't remember why, but I was left with the impression theyvwere hardcore metal profiles. Can you recommend any vintage or modern clean or slight crunch packs of theirs?

• Sorry to hijack the thread but I glanced at the sinmix presets. What do you like about them? I don't remember why, but I was left with the impression theyvwere hardcore metal profiles. Can you recommend any vintage or modern clean or slight crunch packs of theirs?

The thing I like about what sinmix does is provide the option anxiety.. practically every profile in the pack is something I'd use and is totally usable. The cabinet and miking is spot on and silly value for money. I found it hard to settle on a single tone.

The majority is high gain so that's definitely his field but I found these (i won't add a link as not to upset anyone here) - There is a pack called the comfort pack that has a Cornford profiled.. that might get it done for you.