Fractal Axe FX III vs Kemper

• Hi all,

So I've been looking at getting an amp profiler to save on space and money to have lots of amp models to use and play mostly hard rock and metal. The new Fractal Axe FX III just came out and been on the fence deciding whether to get a Kemper or new Fractal Axe FXIII. Price is about the same now that the waiting list is a non issue for Fractal. Which do you like better and why?

I liked the sound of the Kemper profiler that I tried and choices in models and ability to model amps that I own. But the interface sucks! I have no time on Fractal as they are even more difficult to come by since they do not sell to stores like Guitar Center and only sell direct and finding used ones locally is difficult at best.

• I have both an Axe-FX III and Kemper rack. I play for myself, in my home studio, don't play out, and have no plans to at 62+.

I switch back and forth often using the one with the best sound for the moment. The Axe has greater effects on-board, but the Kemper supports and accepts external effects like pedals and rack effects; I've even used the Axe for effects into the Kemper. The Kemper "feels" better and real. It punches like a real Plexi, Vox, or BF Twin.

I like the Kemper profiles for the older Fender amps and early Marshalls. The Axe amps don't really sound better straight out of the box, but allows for a lot of tweaking both in the amp and the cabinet blocks.

In the end I spend 60% of my time on the Kemper, its more organic and natural sounding and amp feel. The Axe can be sterile and remote.

I've put in storage all my tube amps and cabinets which I began "acquiring" in the 69-70 period. Sold off a few dupes, but haven't played one in more than two years.

You gotta have the right guns when you enter the town of tone. And please, shoot ALL fanboys you come across!

• I have had the Axe FX II. Ive not had (or heard) the Axe FX III, so I can't comment except to say that those who own them, really seem to like them. Fractal Audio has also done well by their editor, as has Line-6 for Helix. Helix sounds great too(I own one). The KPA does have a real nice editor that works very well and is actively updated, but its 3rd party (just wanted to point that out). Tone wise (to me), the Kemper is just amazing! Ive played for a while (48 years) so I know what I'm saying tone wise for "my needs" and I play blues/rock/alt music. Best option is to own all three :D - but if you get a KPA my flat statement is (here goes nothing), you won't be disappointed in the tone dept. Best of luck and I hope this helps a bit in deciding. :)

If you use FRFR the benefit of a merged profile is that the cabinet is totally separated in the profile.

For my edification only... ;) Kemper/Axe-FX III/ Quad Cortex user

• One other factor for me - the powerhead or rack has an amp built in, so plug and play in any situation....simplicity is key for me and the KPA has that in spades, from simple set up, usability and live sound.

Coupled with the remote its a killer set up, takes me 10 mins to set up at gigs etc. I do minimal fiddling on it...its just "there".

I've never used an ax product but generally consensus is in line with VegasG ....Kemper bit more organic, ax effects more pristine and deeper dive capabilitites... you probably can't go wrong with either...