parameters for a smoother solo sound...

• thanks Frank and Benvigil: nice info here! Basically, though, the presence cut thing was used by me in virtually all the amps I owned, especially marshalls. I remember this was very sensible in my last amp owned which was the triaxis. But I guess triaxis had the eq in the pre position, as you said Benvigil, since the distortion was very affected by the lack of treble dialing...

Overall, I have been playing this profile with the presence almost all cut for some months and I have to say that even if the main tone is still there, the notes are way easier to play compare to before, at least I feel this in my fingers. As soon as possible I will try to post a clip of this tone, all right?

regards

Yeah, please post Michael!

• Hi Michael, Frank and Ben have already answered your question but I can add a little.

I still have my Triaxis and 2:ninety. It is a slightly unusual beast. The position of tone stack in the Triaxis modes varies from mode to mode. In all 3 Lead 1 modes it is POST gain as it was in the Mark 1 and Dual Rectifier/Marshal depending on which Triaxis version you had. Mine is after the Dual Rec board was discontinued so it has the Marshall style Lead 1 Red mode. All three Lead 2 modes are PRE gain stages as they are based on later Mark series amps. The whole signal path re-configures with relays and stuff (stuff is a technical term ;)) when you change modes.

I'm not an amp tech so take this with a health dose of scepticism but as Ben mentioned the presence control really part of the power amp section. Howeverm the Triaxis doesn't have a power amp so the Presence control isn't actually presence as such. It is just another hi frequency control at a different range. The real presence control in the Triaxis rig is in the 2:ninety power amp.

Here's a link to the Triaxis Manual in case you are interested.

http://www.mesaboogie.com/medi…anuals/TriAxis_091007.pdf

Anyway, all of this is little irrelevant as the KPA tone stack is not designed to mimic a traditional amp. As Ben pointed out the KPA tone stack is active unlike virtually every valve amp ever built. The naming of the controls on the KPA is probably intended to make traditionalists like me feel comfortable and "at home" but is actually probably more confusing than if they had given them new names.

• thanks Alan again...overall I think what David Lee Roth (heard him say but may not be his) used to say: "if it sounds good, then it is good"...I think my timbre now is really good. If I did it with the presence out, then be it, right?

"...why being satisfied with an amp, as great as it can be, while you can have them all?" michael mellner

"Rock in Ecclesia" - new album on iTunes or Google music

• Never a truer word said :)

It doesn't matter how you get the result as long as you get it.

Diamond Dave has a way with words. My personal favourites are "God only knows, and he ain't talking" and "The light at the end of the tunnel is the front of an oncoming train"

I'm a skyscraper! :)

"...why being satisfied with an amp, as great as it can be, while you can have them all?" michael mellner

• Frank...here we go: just a couple of notes with the latest presence out test

https://soundcloud.com/mic-mel/kemper-profile-test

the guitar is a very standard charvel with two humbucker pickups. In the test I did try a hard pan tremolo with couple of notes with neck pickup splitted to make it a bit thinner. All the distortion level are done with the guitar volume. Except for the very last heavy part which is with volume at max.

let me know how it sounds in your speaker/headphones

• You have pm

Sounds intressting over my cans and over the monitors (rokit rp6 g3), but I really miss some presence or highs

Btw, cool playing style:thumbup:

Here is a soundsample from me playing my main solo rig (sinmix mesa mark IV with less highs and presence, but not tweaked to zeropresence)

Just some noodling.....

It's also just this one profile and the volume knob (and the lead boost in front of the ampfor the heavy sound to make it scream)

Guitar: MM Luke II neck pu and bridge pu (and volume knob :))

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Edited 2 times, last by Eltzejupp ().

• ...overall I think what David Lee Roth (heard him say but may not be his) used to say: "if it sounds good, then it is good"...

Originally from Duke Ellington, but it's been attributed to many audio engineers through the ages.

• sometimes i find it usefull to get the direct mix into the sound. It really makes a nice combination with lead tones, but also less forgiving.

I notice that direct mix generally isn't something thats mentioned a lot. Is there any reason?

once a purist, then analog pragmatic and finally a digital believer who found out that you can't hear a mosquito fart in a band-context.

• As mentioned above back your guitar’s volume off slightly. If “max” is 10 then roll it down to 9 or 9.5 - this really makes a huge difference to the tone, smoothing it out nicely, without actually reducing the volume in any noticeable way. I play all my rock & metal solos this way. Give it a try!