Kemperites' Views on the New Forum Format?

• Struggling to discern quote boxes from response text. They surely ought to stand out in some way or another.

With a darker main background, the quote boxes would stand out beautifully if they remained light-coloured (don't have to be white)...

IMHO it wastes space around Avatars and borders. Compact is better.

Agreed, especially in the case of the avatar area. I assumed there'd be a "Narrow Pane" option in settings somewhere, but alas...

the difference between the bold font and regular is not that different ( at least on my iPad)

Same on my desktop. I have to squint to be able to tell if I've marked a thread as read or not, for example.

time permitting, we'll look for a dark theme, that's always a good option.

Thank you so much, G String. Definitely the biggest issue judging by what's been said so far.

If nothing else changes, I think most Kemperites will be happy as long as a dark option is there.

• Could it be that a previous setting was undone by the update? It seems like having slashes in urls (the way it used to be) instead of question marks (the way it is now) is a special feature that needs to be enabled: https://www.woltlab.com/articl…ng-up-user-friendly-urls/. Google will adapt soon enough to the current format, but there are thousands of direct links to forum posts out there that are now broken, so it might be good to restore the slash link style if possible.

we're looking into this today as much as a couple of other things. give us a day or two and then we see how things work. all the settings needed to re-done and the whole backend is different. chances are that we simply forgot something. we need to get used to this as well ...

Get in touch with Profiler online support team here

• No indication whatsoever who's visited our walls.

I really appreciated the ability to at a glance see what sort of riffraff one had attracted to one's home, timeline included.

EDIT:

In case the tongue-in-cheek humour was lost in translation:

I appreciated being able to see who'd taken an interest in my wall. If, for example, someone who's world view / personality I felt aligned with cruised through, I could easily contact him or her via PM. It's very different from "cold-calling" someone out-of-the-blue 'cause he or she has already shown some sort of interest. Now, we'll never know...

• I'm getting used to it already. :)

Could it be that a previous setting was undone by the update? It seems like having slashes in urls (the way it used to be) instead of question marks (the way it is now) is a special feature that needs to be enabled: https://www.woltlab.com/articl…ng-up-user-friendly-urls/. Google will adapt soon enough to the current format, but there are thousands of direct links to forum posts out there that are now broken, so it might be good to restore the slash link style if possible.

Speaking of links, the big "Profiler Forum" banner at the top leads to https://www.kemper-amps.com/wbb_suite_3/ instead of the forum's base url.

What do you mean Robrecht ? The links are stored in google's database in old format - do you suggest, that due to new format, google would update all the links in database?

• What do you mean Robrecht ? The links are stored in google's database in old format - do you suggest, that due to new format, google would update all the links in database?

Yes, I assume that as Google constantly crawls the whole internet, it would re-index the forum using the current link format. That's why I think the main problem is all the links people have posted manually over the years, both within the forum (like my signature) and from outside.

• Nice colors and beautiful smilies . Looks more beautiful but less functionality.

To less content at 1 site. Kemper like to stress stroll buttons on the mouse not only on the KPA :(

No delete button for a writen posting before send!

Did not find a button to mark as read all postings of a subforum - E.G. have to open a japanese posting to delete unread mark:thumbdown:

I found today 152 postings , which maybe 10 are interesting for. What would happen after 2 week hollyday. I need to open thousands of posting to clear?

It will much more work to keep the track.

I hope that will be changed - so a deterioration has been made.

Edited once, last by Sharry ().

• Did not find a button to mark as read all postings of a subforum - E.G. have to open a japanese posting to delete unread mark

When you're in a specific subforum, the little checkmark on the top right marks every discussion in that subforum as read. (On the forum's homepage, it affects all unread posts.)

You can also make specific subforums invisible with the "eye" icon next to it, and I assume if you do that they also won't show up in the unread count. Could be useful for a subforum you never read anyway.

(Disclaimer: I'm not familiar with how the mark as read function used to work before, as I'm more of a casual forum browser rather than trying to keep an eye on all new posts.)

• Yes, I assume that as Google constantly crawls the whole internet, it would re-index the forum using the current link format. That's why I think the main problem is all the links people have posted manually over the years, both within the forum (like my signature) and from outside.

Yes exactly this. Yes, google bot crawls the internet, but it takes some time anyway. But the most crucial thing is the links on the outside. Think of links on Fractal forum ;)

• I hate change when unrequired||;(

It seems a lot more sterile and less warm to me due to the colour/scheme changes... Perhaps there will be some benefits yet to discover... (I haven't read through all 5 pages of this thread yet haha)

• Well I'll be... dayum!

I've never seen this happen here before, but the thread's been re-opened. Could it be that my eloquent rhetorical question as to why it was closed, posed in one of Harry's threads, had an effect?

If it did, I'm truly-honoured, but either way, thank you to G String, Don, or whomever had the courage and IMHO wisdom to make this move.

Thank you, bravo and kudos to you, I say! :thumbup:

Was it always possible to open and read the profiles of users, although one is not signed in?

I don't think so, Tobi; you've always had to be signed-in AFAIK.

• Seeing as the thread's open, I'll repost my three "feature-reinstantiation" requests here as they didn't belong in Harry's thread anyway:

Recent-visitors display for wall page gone.

Upload new wall background pic here yesterday, gone today.

Members link not present since forum-software upgrade.