Kemperites' Views on the New Forum Format?

• The edit button in every post I've made in PM's has disappeared.

This happened barely a few minutes ago. I'd say that qualifies as being strange. :wacko:

I do not like this.

Disclaimer: When I post demo clips for profiles, there will be some minimal post-processing, unless stated otherwise. I normally double-track hard L/R, and add to the main buss a small amount of EQ and a limiter/comp set pretty light as well. Sometimes I get test profiles in advance of release, though 90% of my clips will be from packs I have purchased.

• Thanks for fixing the pictures!!!

Pictures aren't displaying... :( ? Just links, eg: "IMG etc..."

:(

Finally got around to visiting on desktop as opposed to mobile though and can at least say it looks better on here; though it was really nice user experience on mobile previously... May take some getting used to, like anything!

• I really don't understand everyone complaining about it being "bright".

It's white. Like pretty much all new browser windows. And the backgrounds of CNN, and Fox News, and eBay, and Gmail, and ...

I mean, it's just... white. I don't get the angst.

• I think it looks bright because of the lower contrast between the (white) background and the font color.

If you head over to the Rig Exchange you can see how much darker the font is (still even though I think they adjusted it a little and it is better now than a few days ago) and that one on Rig Exchange is much easier to read because of the contrast.

• Pix aren't working and it is way too white/bright... like Microsoft and Apple, Kemper has now officially joined the "make your customers as uncomfortable as possible" club and they are as snarky as possible if anyone comments on it... LAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The older I get, the better I was.

• Yeah, but there's just so much of it, especially with a single line post with the HUGE Avatars.

Agreed Gizmo, although it's not the avatars that're huge; they're not - many forums have much-larger ones.

It's that huge left pane. I'm betting it's one of the first things everybody noticed after the switch.

If you examine the area, it's obvious IMHO that:

1) There needn't be as much wasted (blank) space to the left of it (extreme-left-of-page). We could recoup some space from the right as well as it's the same thick, blank border.

2) The space between "Likes Received", "Posts" and their associated numbers is large.

A contraction of this "pane" area would look no different other than to bring the space mentioned in point 2 to a more-sensible size.

• Agreed Gizmo, although it's not the avatars that're huge; they're not - many forums have much-larger ones.

It's that huge left pane. I'm betting it's one of the first things everybody noticed after the switch.

You said it much better than me Nicky. I tried to use much fewer words to exaggerate the effect HHAHA!

On my 30" monitor running 2048x1280, I only see two posts right now...quite a waste of real estate!

On the other hand, I like the new Unread Posts screen, many more posts before having to do a "next page".

Come to think of it, I'm not sure I've had to do that yet with the new layout.

Edited once, last by Gizmo: added last para ().

• That said, you could also make the counter argument that reducing the left pane size would increase the size of the message pane, thereby reducing readability due to the increased line length -- the optimum line length for readability being 11 words per line. There's a veritable SH%& ton of research on this going back hundreds of years.

So... just because you COULD use up all the white space, doesn't mean you should.

• It's not so much the width of the box, but rather the height. Methinks. I fooled around with the css, and it helps a lot reducing that height on my macbook 13". Again...methinks :)

vs:

• guys,

sometimes change is non-negotiable and necessary and there are very good reasons for this.

honestly, I've been here longer and/or spent more time here than most and I have had zero difficulties adjusting.

If anybody finds the transition to the slightly changed forum format difficult, I recommend to take a week or so off from the forum - then come back and realize it's only small cosmetic changes.

The core of this community is unchanged - and that is what counts.

There's still plenty of people posting amazing Profiles of their gear, there are still new users coming in that might need a little bit of help to find their dream tone, and users are still sharing their tips and tricks.

This is what it's all about. ;)

• sometimes change is non-negotiable and necessary and there are very good reasons for this.

Absolutely, Don! I'm living proof of that, lol, as I'm sure many others are too!

The core of this community is unchanged - and that is what counts.

There's still plenty of people posting amazing Profiles of their gear, there are still new users coming in that might need a little bit of help to find their dream tone, and users are still sharing their tips and tricks.

Well said, no love lost here - in all honesty! :)