Kemperites' Views on the New Forum Format?

• Profile Picture:

1. I don't drink alcohol

2. I don't use Logic

3. I don't use an iMac

4. I don't own a Gibson SG

5. This isn't my office chair

6. I don't own an Access Virus

7. I don't know what brand/model these speakers are ... but they're not mine

8. I do own Kemper Profilers but I'm 100% sure I've never loaded this particular profile.

In other words ... this isn't MY profile picture by any means and I very much dislike me being associated with alcohol and Apple products.

• It doesn't work anymore because it's not supposed to work anymore. Laws have changed considerably. Before the change, every user was legally responsible for what he/she posts. Now the forum owner is made responsible as well.

You will certainly understand that Kemper has little interest in being made responsible for YOUR copyright infringement. Simple as that.

whats the diffrence to youtube links? They work and you can link to video and it is shown. Same " danger" things here.

• What I don't understand is how the software could possibly "know" whether or not an image infringes copyright.

:P sorry Monkey_Man

I see the links are now red so understand what you mean about them being blue now :D and inclined to agree; so used to seeing hyperlinks as blue & underlined, the red didn't strike me/stand-out as being a link as such (until I'd posted one myself!)

Yeah, if you know TextEdit on the Mac (the default OS text editor), the blue it's used for eons as the default link colour is roughly what I was thinking of.

I take it that you support my request for a customisable wall background then, Martin; that's the pic I've been talking about.

When the forum software changed, the ability to edit it was there. I was stoked to discover it, but seeing as I was exploring the site-wide changes and providing feedback in this thread, I figured I'd wait 'til things settled down a little and then put some thought into what I'd use. When I returned to have a play with it the next day the feature had been disabled.

• Did you draw this cartoon? Do you own the copyright to this picture?

In other words ... Kemper as the forum owner is liable for the content published on this website. Embedding pictures from external websites using an IMG tag often results in copyright infringement while text links are less of a problem for a forum owner, legally.

I think it'd be a very good idea for you to refrain from posting any more legal "advice". I believe you do not know what you are talking about.

Or, possibly you could show me code or case law that supports your claim? Happy to eat crow. :)

Edit: DMCA/WIPO-type notices may be passed around, sure. But for you to act like this is in any way a serious concern or liability for the forum owners is absurd. As long as they comply with DMCA/WIPO-type requests where required by law, they are fine.

Edit2: I guess C&P the board code no longer works? How do we incorporate additional quote into our edits? Se below:

<woltlab-quote data-author="lightbox" data-link="https://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/index.php?thread/41514-kemperites-views-on-the-new-forum-format/&amp;postID=456606#post456606">

<p>No, it's not the same. On Youtube, as a video publisher, you can enable or disable embedding of videos on other websites. So the publisher can control it directly.</p>

</woltlab-quote>

<p>Ok, say I record a concert on my phone, then upload it to YT. Is that a copyright violation? Yes? Is Youtube required to take it down if the copyright holder requests? Yes. Do they hold any legal liability for the thousands of videos that are currently on YT? Not unless they receive a specific DMCA notice, and that liability is abandoned when they take the video down.&nbsp;</p>

Disclaimer: When I post demo clips for profiles, there will be some minimal post-processing, unless stated otherwise. I normally double-track hard L/R, and add to the main buss a small amount of EQ and a limiter/comp set pretty light as well. Sometimes I get test profiles in advance of release, though 90% of my clips will be from packs I have purchased.

Edited 2 times, last by Locrain: Left out the "I"... ().

• No, it's not the same. On Youtube, as a video publisher, you can enable or disable embedding of videos on other websites. So the publisher can control it directly.

Ok, say I record a concert on my phone, then upload it to YT. Is that a copyright violation? Yes? Is Youtube required to take it down if the copyright holder requests? Yes. Do they hold any legal liability for the thousands of videos that are currently on YT? Not unless they receive a specific DMCA notice, and that liability is abandoned when they take the video down.

Disclaimer: When I post demo clips for profiles, there will be some minimal post-processing, unless stated otherwise. I normally double-track hard L/R, and add to the main buss a small amount of EQ and a limiter/comp set pretty light as well. Sometimes I get test profiles in advance of release, though 90% of my clips will be from packs I have purchased.

• In my humble opinion, if the Kemper Forums thinks somehow something will be embedded here that somehow wouldn't affect TheGearPage or any other site, they are really overthinking things.

After all, we were doing this till about a month ago. And now suddenly you are expecting to get complaints about the stuff that is posted?

On most forums, if such content is detected, it will simply be deleted by the mod as soon as a report is made. No fuss, no controversy. This is simple logic.

I think someone must have told Mr ckemper that we are as large a platform as Facebook or even TGP and therefore cannot be moderated :rolleyes:

(Sad, still no facepalm icon though we asked for it. <X<X<X<X<X<X<X<X<X<X<X:sleeping::sleeping::sleeping::sleeping::sleeping::sleeping::sleeping::sleeping:)

• On most forums, if such content is detected, it will simply be deleted by the mod as soon as a report is made. No fuss, no controversy. This is simple logic.

I think someone must have told Mr ckemper that we are as large a platform as Facebook or even TGP and therefore cannot be moderated :rolleyes:

Pretty simple, this is how it works. And I know there was a bit of humor there, as this a very small forum, but I don't think there is any legal distinction due to the size of the forum. They are only responsible for responding to complaints. Copyright law needs major reform, but as it stands, this is a non-issue made out of thin air.

• OK, spill Homie… How'd you do dat?:/8)

Looking at the board code (top left button within the post editor) in his post, I'm going to guess that he attached it to the post rather than linking from a host site: "attach='7266','none','false'][/attach"

Nicky? :D

Edit: Nevermind, I can't get the same result...? The Attach button at the bottom seems to work, but does not give the same code...

• lightbox are you saying this because Kemper have confirmed it or is it just supposition that Kemper are interpreting copywriter law strangely? i.e. do you know for sure that the forum isn't allowing uploads as a matter of policy rather than either user error or a teething problem with the new software?

Worth asking. But from his phrasing, and subsequent posts, it seemed clear to me that he was speculating.

Not allowing uploads as a way to combat a non-existent problem would be a first for me. But I am surprised often. :D

He attached it - look at the web address for the picture.

Use the paperclip icon.

I figured he did, but I couldn't get the code to look the same. I don't see a paperclip? Just the Attachment tab and the Upload button under it...?

Edit attempt:

Seems to work fine though, just the code is different?

Edited 3 times, last by Locrain ().