Stuck Between Powered/Un-Powered Kemper

• Hello Kemper community,

I am new to this forum as well as my journey into buying a Kemper but I am not sure which is best for me. The Powered Kemper unit (head) or the Non - Powered. The only reason I have some hesitation is just due to the nearly $400-500 price difference I tend to see them go for (used). I don't foresee myself playing out of an amp cab but I do play live shows often alongside playing for a worship team almost weekly. Couldn't I always use a powered speaker with the Non Powered Kemper and still get sound? Or would I need a Powered Kemper for that?

Thanks so much!

Zach

• If you want to connect mixing desks, DAWs, power amps, powered cabinets, headphones, in-ears, home-entertainment,.... an unpowered PROFILER Head or Rack is sufficient.

If you want to connect a guitar cabinet, which is usually unpowered, a powered PROFILER PowerHead or PowerRack is convenient as you don't need to carry an external power amp. And you have still all the other options above. You don't have to use the internal power amp.

• I have the powered KPA now over 3 three years and it was the best investment in music gear I have ever done (and I spend a lot of money in music stuff).

Most of the time I play gigs with a active monitor box for myself and main output to FOH.

But it is always fun to connect a real guitar cab and enyoing that sound.

• It almost resembles a religious war. ;)

Both can lead to excellent results.

If you use a mixer to play over the PA system, an unpowered version is more versatile.

You can influence your sound much more versatile with the CAB-simulation.

Your own sound can be heard via a monitor of your mixer or via the monitor output of your Kempers via an active full-range speaker.

If you prefer the specific sound of your guitar speaker to play and you don't want to use an extra amplifier then you need the powered version.

I recommend unpowered version with an active monitor.

For example, my active monitor has only 200W , is connected at the mixer, incl. my voice too and is loud enough.

• Hey PETERFR,

I am leaning towards the powered Kemper for the simple fact of "why not"? Although it is a bit more upfront it seems to be something that you might as well have and if the situation ever comes up where I want to play through a cab, I can.

Thanks for the reply!

Zach

• Hey Sharry,

I don't have a cab I'd play through. I have some 300w powered speakers that I assume would be JUST fine for what I need. But the Powered Kemper is tempting just because of the "you never know if you'll need it" mentality.

Zach

• I don't have a cab I'd play through. I have some 300w powered speakers that I assume would be JUST fine for what I need. But the Powered Kemper is tempting just because of the "you never know if you'll need it" mentality.

Well, some people want everthing;)

I am thankfull for every Kg I need not to carry:)

• Well, some people want everthing;)

I am thankfull for every Kg I need not to carry:)

Hey PETERFR,

I am leaning towards the powered Kemper for the simple fact of "why not"? Although it is a bit more upfront it seems to be something that you might as well have and if the situation ever comes up where I want to play through a cab, I can.

Thanks for the reply!

So if you have no guitar cab and you are not 100% after that "amp in the room" sound you will be happy with an unpowered KPA.

:thumbup:

• When I bought my powered head my thinking was;

I intend to use it everyday at home for practice and recording so no need for powered

I intend to use it at rehearsals where the studio has good PA and monitors so straight into desk unpowered.

For gogs I intend to buy an FRFR cab either active or passive so unpowered or powered would work

There may be times when I just have no option other than to use a guitar cab so powered gives me a little extra protection that I can cope with absolutely any situation I might find myself in.

If money had been tight at the time ai would have bought unpowered as that will cover at leadt 80% of all possibilities for me (probably closer to 95% if I’m really honest). However, I had the money available at the time and am glad I bought the powered just for peace of mind. I have used it live with a guitar cab a couple of times where I’ve sat in as a guest with another band for a few songs and it was just easier to bring a little 1x12 cab and the Kemper but I could have found another solution if really necessary.

In short the poweed can do everything the unpowered can plus power a guitar cab.

On the other hand if you want to run in stereo via traditional guitar cabs you would be better with unpowered and a separate stereo power amp.

Whatever you chose you will end up with a killer rig.

• I have an unpowered Kemper and have wished on many occasions I had a powered one. However the availability of powered cabs such as a Line 6 PowerCab changes the calculation somewhat. Is it better to have a powered Kemper, or an unpowered one and use the price difference to buy a PowerCab?

Another benefit in an unpowered Kemper could be important on gigs, in that if you want to use an uninterruptable power supply (UPS) with your Kemper in case you encounter bad power, you can use a much smaller one for an unpowered Kemper. You can run the external power amp directly to the mains, and use a small UPS with an unpowered Kemper to eliminate any reboot waits if you get flaky power (that often happens at outdoor gigs).

• I got a powered KPA... I just like the sound from a good 2x12 (even better with stereo). There’s just some really good cabs give a huge sound difference.

When you get your amp (or powered or unpowered) get some really good profiles. Makes a huge difference. Micheal Britt is the best in the business (in my opinion).

Enjoy mate.

• I’ve owned mine for two years (Power Amp Version), I have never connected it to an external cab. I took the “just in case“ approach but wasted the extra money. The Kemper setup is supposed to make the load lighter. That’s a concept I didn’t have at the time. If I could do it over I would steer clear of the powered amp version. Just my two cents.

• First, welcome to the forum!

Second, I would recommend doing a search on this. I would estimate that 10% of all topics deal with this very question. ^^

If you have the money, there is no reason not to go powered. Just remember that it is mono. The main Kemper output is of course stereo.

It is most likely cheaper to buy a separate (two channel) power amp. On the other hand who would want to haul that around.

So there, I am glad I could help :P

• Hello Kemper community,

I am new to this forum as well as my journey into buying a Kemper but I am not sure which is best for me. The Powered Kemper unit (head) or the Non - Powered. The only reason I have some hesitation is just due to the nearly $400-500 price difference I tend to see them go for (used). I don't foresee myself playing out of an amp cab but I do play live shows often alongside playing for a worship team almost weekly. Couldn't I always use a powered speaker with the Non Powered Kemper and still get sound? Or would I need a Powered Kemper for that?

Thanks so much!

For me it's unpowered version with an active cab that cost $1500

(I put money aside for it now)

Get the point? I want better than the powered version

• For me it's unpowered version with an active cab that cost $1500

(I put money aside for it now)

Get the point? I want better than the powered version

Just to play devil's advocate, you can still get a $1,500 active monitor with your powered Kemper and use it the exact same way.

It's just that if you don't want to carry said expensive speaker to the farmer's market or coffee shop or wherever, you can then take your old beatup 1x12 cab and play through that. And for the people who are trying to get a good deal on turnips or slowly sip their soy latte the difference in tonality won't matter. ;)

That being said, I also have the unpowered version that is hooked up to a mixer through Main L/R and to an active studio monitor through its Monitor Out.