Kemper with Bass and EQ

• Hello all!

I've been playing around with my Kemper for quite some time. Use it mainly for recording, but have occasionally put it through a PA speaker while jamming with friends and it's amazing.

Something I've wondered for some time is Kemper with Bass profiles:

When I'm tweaking the EQ section of the amp head (bass, mid, treble, presence) are the modified frequencies for a bass profile different than they are for a guitar profile?

I've been one of those people who get really dull (no character, not loud enough in the mix, etc) sounding Kemper bass amps from the rig exchange and I'm trying to figure out if I need to jump into a graphic EQ pedal in the X slot.

Thanks

• First of all, why do you feel you have to tweak the EQ on existing bass profiles? Most of all profiles work fine as they are. Sometimes a little tweak is necessary with some profiles. But I suspect you do it because you want to judge the sound of a bass profile on its own. Am I right? If you ever come over commercial multitracks, and I mean legally, bass guitar and guitars sounds quite dull solo. But mixed right and together with the rest of the mix/song sounds killer. Oh and basstracks have far less bass then you'd think. Too much bass on the bass guitar will make it impossible to get it right. You see building up bass on the bass guitar is much easier and that's the reason why bass sounds so great on commercial songs. Learning to mix good takes a lot of effort and time. Not loud enough? The loudness war is over thankfully. Getting it loud enough is all about mixing it right.

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• I don’t tend to tweak the EQ or anything else on Bass profiles. If it doesn’t work I just move on to another profile.

However, the answer to your question is “I don’t know but.......”

I don’t know for sure but I am nearly certain that the EQ frequencies are exactly the same for all profiles. There is nothing in the KPA that knows you are using a bass profile so it wouldn’t know that you need a different set of eq frequencies. The “bass profile” information is just a meta tag for searching as far as I am aware and doesn’t actually “do” anything. I could be wrong though.

If you feel you need to eq the bass and those frequencies aren’t cutting it try putting a Graphic or Studio EQ in ine of the slots.

Also, try moving the Stack EQ around between pre and post amp. You will get different results depending on the gain structure of the profile itself.