Trying to get the tone of Red Hot Chilli Peppers Sir Psycho Outro

• Hi,

I've been trying to achieve the tone of this tune (specifically the outro)

Here's the isolated guitar track in all its glory (skipped to 5:35 for the outro) :

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I feel like I, sort of, get close to the tone when strumming, but the single note lines don't sound close.

The strumming on this track is quite clean sounding, yet the single notes (especially the bass notes) sound overdriven, and it sounds so, well, glorious!

I've been trying to mess around with the EQ and amplifier setting, but that didn't get me anywhere, as I don't really know what I'm doing 8o

I realize that the dynamics of the playing plays a big role, but I still feel like there's a missing component in my tone.

Any tips (or rig suggestions) to achieve this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Edited 3 times, last by nirm03 ().

• Playin a Strat I presume? Use a compressor with a clean-ish Marshall profile and that should do the trick IMO! ;)

Thanks for the tip!

I've never gotten the point of compressors, but that's exactly what was missing to get that driven sound on low notes and remain relatively clean when strumming aggressively.

For what it's worth, and to follow up on my initial question, the profile that ended up working best for me was "PW-Dry Wet Wet". It's on one of the free rig packs in Rig Manager. It's a great profile.

I dialed down the gain, added a lot of compression, and tinkered with the EQ. This stuff is sooo time consuming!

Even though it doesn't sound at all the same, I feel like it's similar in spirit ;)

In case some n00b like me stumbles upon this, and is interested in how it sounds, here's a sample:

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

As can be heard, I'm no John Frusciante (that's an understatement :P). Just wanted to illustrate the versatility of this great profile.

All of the bits in the recording are the same profile with slight variations in compression and added chorus at times.

• if you are still online here anytime please share the rig :)

Hey alexburnsred, I was going to refer you to the "Kemper Workshop and FX" where I had found that rig at the time, but I see that it disappeared from that rig pack unfortunately.

I'd be happy to share it with you here, but since this was a Kemper provided rig, and I'm not the creator of that rig, I think I'm not allowed to do that. Maybe Someone from Kemper can help you with that?

In the meantime, I see there are similar rigs there in the same rig pack. If you're after the RHCP sound I attempted here, you can start with PW-crunch, add compression, boost treble/presence, and you can reach very similar results pretty easily.

If you're after the original sound of the rig (which was awesome admittedly !), you can take PW-crunch, and increase gain to 5.7 to get similar results (to my ears at least )

Hope this helps :)