Rig Manager with DEMO/TRIAL-mode for commercial profiles

• I would love to see something like in Rig Manager like DEMO/TRIAL-mode for commercial profiles.

Why: I simply don't like buying stuff that I don't enjoy using. And although there are audio demos (sometimes) available, it's not really a riliable indicator of how it will sound with your own guitar, and how it feels to play. I would even prefer to pay double for a profile that I can try before ;)

I wonder how other players feel about this? Not sure how the vendors would like such a model?

• This is one perfect, reasonable request. However in my opinion it won't happen, because it would require modification of Rig Manager towards business of commercial sellers.

However, the idea is brilliant.

• I am just talking from purely a user-perspective.

However: A lot of companies are trying to follow the example of Apple and have their own app-store.... Kemper made the business of making/selling profiles possible in the first place. They keep investing in their established product a lot (good software updates).... why should they not benefit at least partially from profile sales?

Again, I would not mind paying considerably more for a profile I could try first.... To me this would be a win-win :)

• Maybe a reasonable request, but an impractical one, since profiles are not copy protected.

That's not problem of user, that requested this. He wanted to have possibility to try a commercial rig, before spending money on it. It could be possibility to play a commercial rig for 5 minutes. Of course it would require much effort both on profile structure as well as on Rig Manager development. That's why it won't happen in my opinion.

But coming back to original idea, I liked it very much. In my opinion it's very practical.

• It hasn't hurt UAD!

Kemper get 10% of any profile sold...

win for vendor

win for kemper

win for user

win

PRS Custom 22's - Fender Strats - Diezel VH4 - Carol Ann OD2 - Toneking Imperial MK2 - Colin the Kemper - CLR Neo ii.

• Very good idea but the kemper team are in no way affiliated with commercial profilers. It would been different if the kemper team would sell profiles so this won't happen.

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• It hasn't hurt UAD!

Yeah Greg, but they sell their own plugins.

Very good idea but the kemper team are in no way affiliated with commercial profilers. It would been different if the kemper team would sell profiles so this won't happen.

Exactly.

• It hasn't hurt UAD!

Kemper get 10% of any profile sold...

Yeah Greg, but they sell their own plugins.

Sure, but UAD have to develop and market their own plugins with intrinsic cost

Kemper would not, other than website management - they would just get 10% for providing the sales platform

Like eBay does

As a business model, and in the words of Mark Knoffelloffeler 'money for nothing'

PRS Custom 22's - Fender Strats - Diezel VH4 - Carol Ann OD2 - Toneking Imperial MK2 - Colin the Kemper - CLR Neo ii.

• Very good idea but the kemper team are in no way affiliated with commercial profilers. It would been different if the kemper team would sell profiles so this won't happen.

I don't see that as a barrier in so much as it is an opportunity.

I dont see it as much different to using eBay. We are not affiliated with eBay, but sell loads of stuff on there...then pay them a final percentage fee for doing so.

• I don't see that as a barrier in so much as it is an opportunity.

I dont see it as much different to using eBay. We are not affiliated with eBay, but sell loads of stuff on there...then pay them a final percentage fee for doing so.

Yeah but can't compare Ebay with kemper. Two different things.

Henry David Thoreau

• Yeah but can't compare Ebay with kemper. Two different things.

I was comparing how the business model of commercial profilers selling via the rig exchange could work - can't plug your guitar into eBay! :)

• great idea indeed. I'm sure i'd buy a lot more commercial profiles this way.

If I’m honest, it would probably be the case that I would have bought less than half the amount of profiles. However, that would make paying more for them acceptable.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• If I’m honest, it would probably be the case that I would have bought less than half the amount of profiles. However, that would make paying more for them acceptable.

Too true my friend...it's the same as any shopping experience...you go back to places you feel gave you great service and a great product...survival of the fittest!

• If I’m honest, it would probably be the case that I would have bought less than half the amount of profiles. However, that would make paying more for them acceptable.

So true. Some of them are erased from both the kemper and pc.

Henry David Thoreau

I guess I'm just the opposite, just bought a cuople of 'big' packs from one seller, and a few medium / small packs from another two or three... I found the smaller packs to be more worthy but eventually I sopped buying because I wasn't overwhelmed by what I was getting compared to some great stuff you can find in the exchange or in the forum itself... specially in the 'big' packs where you buy (and pay for) more stuff 'blindly'.

That's why I think if I had the chance to actually test profiles before buying I'd buy a lot more than I'm doing now, which is close to zero :P

• I agree that Kemper seems unlikely to implement something like this, and I think that's a bad decision.

The fact that almost everyone would chose to buy profiles through RE if it provided some kind of trial mode...well, it might not be free money for Kemper, but it's about as close as you'll get in this life.

I also think it would raise the bar for profile quality, I think if people could "test-drive" profiles, competition would be much more intense and beneficial to the consumer in two ways. Firstly, price would probably go down (conversely, each profiler could, depending on how it was implemented, benefit from much more exposure and higher sales volume). Secondly,with a way to A/B rigs at home, then decide, I can only see a test mode increasing the overall quality of profiles offered.

Better profiles add value to the KPA.

Disclaimer: When I post demo clips for profiles, there will be some minimal post-processing, unless stated otherwise. I normally double-track hard L/R, and add to the main buss a small amount of EQ and a limiter/comp set pretty light as well. Sometimes I get test profiles in advance of release, though 90% of my clips will be from packs I have purchased.