Cubase trouble

• Recently got myself a Kemper. After some back ond forth I have found some really good profiles that suit my playing and taste. I am running my Kemper through a Palmer power amp into a 4 x 12 cabinet and it sounds great so far.

So, next up is running my Kemper into my DAW. I use the Mains Out set to Mains Stereo into my Scarlett 2i2, while still running the power amp through Monitor Out for monitoring.

The sound I get i my DAW - Cubase 8 is really bad. I am not pushing the level, but the clean profiles still sound distorted. Everything sounds like the inside of a cardboard box.

I used to run a H&K Grandmeister 36 through the Scarlett before, and it was killer.

Does anyone have any ideas what it can be ? Is it the Kemper, or is there something in Cubase that need to be done ?

• From your description it sounds as if you are clipping the inputs of your interface. Have you set the inputs of the Scarlett to line level? Are you using XLR or TS cables? In case of XLR cables please try if activating the -12dB option in the output menu of the PROFILER fixes your issue. What are the settings of the main out volume in the output menu? Try to set this low enough to not clip the inputs of your interface.

• Working with Cubase here and Kemper and the sound is super...

You should concentrate in recording forget to run the power amp through Monitor Out for monitoring til you get it right

For me its Kemper to Cubase and Cubase to studio amp and studio monitors

If i go Live or to practice then I will use cab

Do you record voices in Cubase? Does it sounds good?

Does your kemper sounds good on headphone?

Try to isolate the problem... kemper to cubase and cubase to studio amp and studio speakers

And if you answer my question I will be able to help you more

• From your description it sounds as if you are clipping the inputs of your interface. Have you set the inputs of the Scarlett to line level? Are you using XLR or TS cables? In case of XLR cables please try if activating the -12dB option in the output menu of the PROFILER fixes your issue. What are the settings of the main out volume in the output menu? Try to set this low enough to not clip the inputs of your interface.

Good point

• I am using the Kemper and Cubase 9 and it sounds really good.

I set the output to -12db for main out and use the Stereo out only for Wet signal and the monitor output also to -12db for stack.

I have to turn on cab sim since I turn it off when practicing with my passive cab.

Please make sure you turn on cab sim when recording through Cubase. For monitoring I use my studio monitors.

Clipping was the first thing that came to my mind, but I adjusted the levels to way below red on the meter. The Scarlett is set to line. I am using TS cables. I have adjusted the levels out from the Kemper up and down and it still sounds bad. Have to see when I get back from work. Thank for your feedback.

• Thanx. I will try when I get back from work.

• It definitely does sound like clipping. You have probably already checked this but just in case. Do you have the Main Out Link box on Output Menu page 2 ticked. If this isn't ticked then turning the Master Volume up and down will only affect the Monitor out but won't reduce the signal going to the interface. I know this is stating the obvious but I am always missing obvious things like this myself so you might have done the same ;)

• Can you post a clip on soundcloud? Would make figuring the cause much easier.

Also this:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• It definitely does sound like clipping. You have probably already checked this but just in case. Do you have the Main Out Link box on Output Menu page 2 ticked. If this isn't ticked then turning the Master Volume up and down will only affect the Monitor out but won't reduce the signal going to the interface. I know this is stating the obvious but I am always missing obvious things like this myself so you might have done the same ;)

Thanx, but I figured it out.

• Clipping was the first thing that came to my mind, but I adjusted the levels to way below red on the meter. The Scarlett is set to line. I am using TS cables. I have adjusted the levels out from the Kemper up and down and it still sounds bad. Have to see when I get back from work. Thank for your feedback.

Problem solved. Not totally sure what I did, but turning everything off and restarting did the trick.