Still On The Fence

• Welcome!

I love both the Kemper and real tube amps...

... and would not like to live without any of both worlds.

A great real tube amp and the Kemper is NOT the same - they are different tools.

If you record a lot - play mainly over a PA or use IE monitoring - than the Kemper can be a replacement for your old gear.

But be sure to test it longer than the honeymoon period.

And yes, before selling any amp / cabinet you love - profile it - use all possible settings you need for your different guitars.

No need to sell pedals (if money is not the limiting factor) you can use all your old pedals with the Kemper - and try to recreated them with the Kemper stomp boxes before maybe selling them.

Anyway - enjoy!

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• Hey Armin! Thanks for the reply. I will definitely try and profile my Dr Z before I sell it. Thankfully, I know a few Maz 18 profiles exist out there so that may be a good alternate since I don't have a great space to actually create a profile or the mics to do so. I do play through a PA often as well as IEM, plus, I travel with my gear 2/3 times a week almost every week and a huge tube amp/board/guitars get really tiring really fast. Even as a young dude. Hahaha

• I'm in the same situation than you guitarmniac ...I don't have a Kemper yet, but I'm playing with the idea getting one. The problem is, I'm not sure I want to give up my tube amp and effects for the Kemper as I can't afford to keep both. Right now I am using a JVM410h, G-System and few other pedals, 2x12 orange and a Laney 4x12, but also own a Peavey classic 50/50 Poweramp and ADA MP-1.

But ever since I saw a local band using the Kemper and hearing the great tone of their guitarist, the profiler is not going out of my head. I've been following the discussion's here in the forum, and the vibe is just amazing. YouTube and reviews are convincing me more and more.... But the little devil on the shoulder is still giving me doubts.

Will the Kemper give me the same punch and dynamics as my tubes?

I don't have an easy possibility to check out the kemper. 50 km to the next dealer and they don't have it on site. The next bigger store is further away....

Greetz, Dave

• Dave72 everyone has to make up their own mind about what is right for them. All I can say is here is a picture of my practice room. I have used virtually nothing but Boogies since 1985. I haven't turned any of them on (other than for making my own profiles) since I got the Kemper.

To my ears (and feel) the Kemper is every bit as good plus it is SO much easier to lug around.

However, I'm probably not typical as I have never been a fan of having a 4x12 cab on stage blasting earth rumbling bass into the back of my knees. Even when I was gigging with the Dual Rec I used the 2 1x12 EV Cabs angled on stands pointing at me so it really was;t a huge step for me to transition to the idea of having just a monitor. If you are used to a thumping 412 you might want to check in the flesh before buying.

• Wheresthedug I am actually only using my 2x12, the Laney 4x12 ist still relict of the late 80s that I just didn't want to sell ... ^^

I think I will take a trip to the dealer soon and let the sound convince me. Just love the idea to have a compact portable all in one machine with all kind of amps & effects to choose from.

A friend of mine has an AX8, which was also in my closer choice, but besides being cool for live and recording, it didn't convince me playing it in a band context with a FRFR...

The Kemper on the other hand, that I heard live just blew me away. I was looking for the amp and just saw that toaster....lol...after the gig I talked to the guitarist and what should I say, he was very happy with the profiler playing it over a tube power amp..

So, a lot of options and a lot to figure out. Can't wait to try it myself...

• Dave72 everyone has to make up their own mind about what is right for them. All I can say is here is a picture of my practice room. I have used virtually nothing but Boogies since 1985. I haven't turned any of them on (other than for making my own profiles) since I got the Kemper.

To my ears (and feel) the Kemper is every bit as good plus it is SO much easier to lug around.

However, I'm probably not typical as I have never been a fan of having a 4x12 cab on stage blasting earth rumbling bass into the back of my knees. Even when I was gigging with the Dual Rec I used the 2 1x12 EV Cabs angled on stands pointing at me so it really was;t a huge step for me to transition to the idea of having just a monitor. If you are used to a thumping 412 you might want to check in the flesh before buying.

Killer room, is that a revF and mark III? Which out of those Mesa rigs was your fav?

• Hi Muddy, no unfortunately not. Its a fairly early Rev G and an original Studio .22 (before the extra volume mod they put in the +). Got the 22 in 1985 and it’s still going strong. I wanted a Mk III at the time but it way over budget.

They are all great but different. The 22 was my first real amp so it is special to me but its really difficult to balance the levels between the clean and dirty channels. The Mk V:25 was the last valve amp I bought. It is amazingly flexible in such a portable package.

I bought the Triaxis rig about 2 years ago from a friend who had two (this was his back up rig) because I had always wanted one when I was younger. Its so flexible and powerful it could be all the amp anyone ever needs but weighs about the same as baby elephant. To be honest I’ve only ever done a few gigs with it.

The Dual arec was my main gigging amp for longer than anything else and is probably still my favourite. It’s not the one trick pony that people think. I’ve done Jazz gigs with and played in a 10 piece soul band for 23 years. I really only ever run it in Vintage mode, Red ch cloned to Vintage, spongey power and valve rectifier. That is a killer sound for me (not exactly one for metal though).