S/PDIF Tracking and Reamping Method with Cubase Pro

• S/PDIF Tracking and Reamping Method with Cubase Pro 9.5

Ok Guys, Came up with my own method to track guitars, have both dry and "master Mono" on the same track (stereo)-no need to arm multiple tracks/mute tracks etc, Easy to Use this within a mixing/editing/writing environment, re-amp with a few mouse clicks with Next to ZERO latency, using a few nifty tricks... If There's a better way or an improvement please share!

My Setup is to have the KPA Digital Ins as The GIT/Master Mono For Tracking :thumbup:So Have This Set on your Kemper First.

Creating A Nice Consolidated Editable Track That Can be Re-Amped

Instead of creating two mono tracks and having to arm both to record. -there IS a way to record to a stereo track, whilst having the option to mute the dry recording AND Have the reference track play so we can demo/mix this sound within the session- and in that very same track.- and pan!

Use Steinberg MIX6to2 VST in insert 1 . Push Both L Sliders All The Way Down. Push Both R Sliders to 0.0 THEN

Use Steinberg MIX6to2 VST in insert 2 . Push Both R Sliders All The Way Down. Push Both L Sliders to 0.0

Toggle Insert 1 OFF. Keeps this here...

This will enable you to balance the recordings left and right tracks BEFORE signal reaches the DAW's L/R panner.

So now we have gained control again of the DAW's Panner, Consolidated the Wet and Dry recording as it's a stereo track.

Please share if there is another vst that does the same thing for other DAW's that is free and available!!!

Re-Amping using this same track:

Step 1: We need to create a cue send. Go to your audio connections > Control Room Tab >Click Add Channel>Add Cue> Mono.
    Select The Correct SPDIF OUT from your audio interface back to KPA. This is going to be the dry DI signal sent back to KPA- Name This KPA ReAmp (Or Whatever you Want)

Step 2: Set your KPA To Have the input source as S/PDIF. Set It's Output S/PDIF to Be whatever you want (git studio does not work)

Step 3: For Whichever stereo track you recorded and wish to reamp. As Below:

-The channel must have to have no inserts enabled apart from MIX6to2 (Dry Guitar) (insert 1 We Had Toggled Off before ;))
    -A Cue Send Needs to Be Assigned to the channel
    KPA ReAmp,

Right Click on the Cue Send and make sure this is Sent as prefade - we want our levels to not be affected by our DAW Fader. Right Click on cue send Slot One> Activate Cue Send.

Step 4: Create a new Channel to record the Re Amped Guitar.

Step 5: Make Sure Within the Right Side bar "CR" Menu there is no metronome being played through this and fader is 0DB as well as the Cue On Button is blue.

Step 6: Arm and record.

Tip- To mute the dry guitar coming from your monitors during reamping to your kemper- just go to "Direct Routing" within your recorded channel and click on the output your monitors are named. this toggles the output on and off.

(Cue Sends shown toggled off in below picture Here)

So Whenever you record- a good idea is to have the above channel type saved as a preset that way you can just start a new track with plugins already inserted.

Same goes for your inputs outputs and control room options with cue sends created- you can create presets within Cubase.

So when it comes time to reamp….The Process is:

Enable Cue Send for track to be ream
    ped
    Disable All Inserts Apart from Insert 1
    Create a New Channel to Record On.
    Change Your Kemper Input Source to SPDIF
    Change Your Kemper Output To "x"

RECORD!

Tips for Re-Amping and S/PDIF :

1: Get this toast ME - If You Haven't heard of this yet- you're officially not a Kemper owner^^

https://www.facebook.com/toastMidiEditor/

This will enable you to control 95% (If Not more) of your Kemper through MIDI and your PC.

2: Record with Clean Sense and Distortion Sense set to 0...

Keep the dry signal untouched level wise! If you see clipping it will either be due to your interface levels Or Your Rig being way too loud!
    EMG's will look like they clip on the dry channel but that's clipping internally within its own onboard preamp inside of the guitar.

Obviously during reamping - do what you want here!

Also a good idea to have the S/PDIF volume set at -6db within your kemper output for a bit of headroom

3: Latency.

Have constant latency switched *ON* within the kemper

To Adjust for Kemper Latency...Find a Click Sample.

"Reamp" This back to kemper….adjust for record latency option ticked.

This is a bit of trial and error with value shown....According to Cubase- it takes 454 worth of samples at 44.1 for the kemper to process audio.
    -Cubase is internally smart enough to adjust for it's own latency (from what I can tell)

Nearly PERFECT In Phase Wave Form Here with very little difference :

Boy I Hope this all Makes Sense...

• Wow, I don't use Cubase, but this looks very detailed...maybe I can still pick up some tips. Thanks for the post!

Disclaimer: When I post demo clips for profiles, there will be some minimal post-processing, unless stated otherwise. I normally double-track hard L/R, and add to the main buss a small amount of EQ and a limiter/comp set pretty light as well. Sometimes I get test profiles in advance of release, though 90% of my clips will be from packs I have purchased.