Pinch Harmonics and Kemper - is it just me?

• Hi, I was wondering if others have noticed that pinch harmonics just don't seem to sound great on the Kemper. This is what I have noticed on every modeler I have ever tried. Thoughts? They always end up sounding as if the partials around the harmonic get tossed out and you are left with a pinch harmonic that sounds, well, hard to describe. Very thin.

thanks, Brian

• I’ve not had that issue with the Kemper.

If you are using a Profile of an amp setting that reacts well to pinch harmonics, the Kemper will react just like the original amp.

Same. No issues, I pull squeals off with P90s.

Disclaimer: When I post demo clips for profiles, there will be some minimal post-processing, unless stated otherwise. I normally double-track hard L/R, and add to the main buss a small amount of EQ and a limiter/comp set pretty light as well. Sometimes I get test profiles in advance of release, though 90% of my clips will be from packs I have purchased.

• I'll agree with the rest. It's not the Kemper per se, it's the profile. Or your technique. But probably the profile :)

PRS Singlecuts
    Kemper PowerHead/Remote

Quote from skoczy

When you turn the knob on KPA, you wake up the captured souls of tube amps living inside.

• I can;t notice the the difference on the Kemper vs a tube amp, seems to handle them the same. Defo check your profile, make sure its one that started with hi gain rather than one you turned up the gain..

• Hmm, I was just looking into this in relation to a thread on Gearslutz where a challenge was thrown down to replicate the solo on Spooky, and interestingly enough I found that indeed the pinch harmonic was much harder to recreate with the Kemper than with my real amps.

What I noticed was that the real amps seem to almost exhibit a wolf note like tendency on those high frequencies while the Kemper is very even.

Adding in a treble booster stomp in front of the amp block made a substantial improvement in the Kemper... but only for the pinch itself, for everything else it negatively impacted the tone and I could never get that deeper sound from it. Overall the real amp almost felt like it had multi band compression on it with more happening at the treble end of things than the bass.

I'd be interested to hear others experience when trying to replicate the sound. The thread in question is here by the way : https://www.gearslutz.com/boar…-simple-dynamic-tone.html

• I think if the profiler scoops the mids your chance of Squanking is diminished. I used a M. Britt Marshall for this live track.

The mids are where the harmonics are.8)

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I think if the profiler scoops the mids your chance of Squanking is diminished. I used a M. Britt Marshall for this live track.

The mids are where the harmonics are.8)

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Having never heard any of your stuff before, this is waht I awlasy imagined it sounded like! Love it!