Kemper Remote to control Apple MainStage?

• Hi all

I am thinking of trying a few gigs using backing tracks. My set up will be Kemper into Universal Audio Apollo Duo into MacBook Pro running Apple MainStage.

I have been looking into midi foot controllers to start/stop tracks in MainStage and to maybe enable looping, etc. It then dawned on me that I might be able to use my Kemper Remote to do the job of controlling Mainstage. If I could use my Kemper Remote to start/stop backing tracks along with controlling other functions in MainStage (I am still learning how to use the program) and then MainStage patches changing profiles on my Kemper for different parts of songs, that would be awesome. Is this possible and if so has anybody done this?

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated, also with other areas I have been thinking about - a good MacBook Pro stand, issues to look out for, etc.

• Interesting idea Paul. Note: I'm still learning the kemper. I know that the kemper can send midi out on a kemper-event - I think you can do it when you load a performance or slot- but I'm not sure it can work the way you want it to above.

MD plays to a click/backing tracks (usually) - and we're using a uTrack 24 to drive everything. It's the "single truth" - I'm progamming my patch changes through it. You can likely do the same with mainstage... BUT... I don't think you can do it with the kemper pedalboard. You *should* be able to do it with something not dedicated to the kemper - such as a behringer 1010 or the source audio soleman.

I'll let others who know the kemper better than I chime in though. There's a good chance I don't have it right in my head yet.

EDIT: I know this is an older post, but it's a good question I think.

KPA Unpowered Rack, Kemper Remote, Headrush FRFR108s, BC Rich Mockingbird(s), and a nasty attitude.

• I use backtracks live in a few duo bands I'm in. I use Garageband to mixdown the backtracks and bounce them out as audio files. I think just play them on a MacBook run stereo into the board. It sounds fantastic. I could just use GB live, but I mix down and bounce out the tracks on my iMac and then sync (via Google Drive app) on my MacBook. The GB files are monsters. I've got Mainstage installed but lost interest in tinkering with it when I figured out the above solution to make it work. I'm interested if you find some way to trigger, but I simply keep the MacBook sitting next to me and use the spacebar to start/stop the tracks.

• Scott Baker Garage Band isn't built for live use - obviously.

Are you bouncing down - what - stereo? Do you run a click? How is it patched in?

KPA Unpowered Rack, Kemper Remote, Headrush FRFR108s, BC Rich Mockingbird(s), and a nasty attitude.

• I've used the lighting software (both Dmxis and DPro) from these guys, but they also have a product called Show Buddy. I've never used it but I believe it includes the ability to play backing tracks and can also talk to your lights, midi, etc.

For backing tracks I've used the free version of Cubase, but that might be more overhead than you care for so I thought something like this might be relevant.

https://www.dmxis.com/show-buddy-active/

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• I use songbook+ ( http://www.baum-software.ch/ ) on my IPad to manage the setlist of my DUO and the Oldies Rockband.

It's also available in English.

Better known is bandhelper but I was suspect this membership with annual payments rather. I bought the program in the pro version (approx €50,-).

With it I can arrange lyrics / chords in setlists, select the kemper rig after calling a song and can also start a backing track from the page.

I was able to send the MIDI commands with help of the support. (The problem was the songbook documentation)

You need a MIDI/Bluetooth converter (e.g. Yamaha MD-BT01 Wireless Midi Adapter) and the IPAD must be able to support Bluetooth 4.

I had to replace my old IPAD 2 with Bluetooth 2 by a newer one.

I saved the backings as mp3. I use need an audio cable with stereo jack 3.5 mm to 6.4 mm to the mixer.

I have not yet tried to send the audio signal to another bluetooth receiver at the same time.

With another app I sometimes have dropouts with bluetooth.

I have not yet tried to send a MIDI file to a MIDI player (allegedly also possible) via MIDI through of the Kemper.

My wish to use the IPAD at the same time with positive grid as guitar modeler (emergency back up) did not work yet.

The audio interface is obviously occupied by "Songbook+" and does not provide a guitar signal.

• Scott Baker Garage Band isn't built for live use - obviously.

Are you bouncing down - what - stereo? Do you run a click? How is it patched in?

I could use GB live, but it is just easier bouncing the files out. I bounce them as MP3 stereo files and then just have them all in a directory on my MacBook (via Google Drive) and manually start/stop them with my spacebar on the keyboard. I run the stereo headphone jack out to L/R 1/4" cables into a merged channel on my board that takes 1/4" L/R and mixes stereo. I setup my own click intros to the songs in GarageBand and also manually configure clicks in the tracks if needed before drums or percussion come in. I get all my tracks from karaoke-version.com and it lets you mix down the tracks on the web site or, like I do, solo each track and then download them and bring them into GB (or whatever DAW one prefers) and set mix/levels there. For $2.99 (US) each, the custom backing tracks are a steal. On some I'll record my own rhythm tracks and some harmony lines that I play against, but for the most part they are great.