Just jumped back in with Kemper

• I started out with the kemper and then switched to axefx and ax8 but just bought another kemper and the remote.

A few questions...

1. Can I use a standard cat 5 network cable for the remote?
    2. Is there an editor now that works on windows?

It's been a couple years since I had my kemper originally. I'm sure the firmware/sounds are much improved!

I use mostly fender and matchless style cleans and semi-cleans and dumble style overdrives amps.

Anything new I should be aware of?

• Cat 5 works fine for remote.

There is no official editior but there is an unofficial one Toast Me. I haven’t tried it but those that have seem to be very impressed with it.

There are loads of great Dumble and D Style profiles now. michael Britt has a great pack as does Tone Junkie and Norbury Brook.

Thanks, I have a ton of mbritt profiles including the dumble ones. That is one area that the kemper really excels over anything else at. It feels like the real thing when you play loud and when you turn the volume down on the guitar. Extremely touch sensitive.

• Yes. I totally feel the Big area where digital amps typically fall down is cleans and mod gain sounds. Pretty much anythng can do a solid metal hingain tone (often better than valve amps) but getting the touch sensitivity right and edge of breakup sound always seems like their weakness. The Kemper just seems to nails that stuff beautifully.

• Yes. I totally feel the Big area where digital amps typically fall down is cleans and mod gain sounds. Pretty much anythng can do a solid metal hingain tone (often better than valve amps) but getting the touch sensitivity right and edge of breakup sound always seems like their weakness. The Kemper just seems to nails that stuff beautifully.

I think the cleans are easy too. For example, when I first got the axefx I had it and the kemper. The kemper excelled with overdrive and semi-distorted tones but for pure cleans (think of wes montgomery or early fender-twin-era pat martino), there was very little difference. Eventually , i got the ax8 and the footswitch built in along with the better effects caused me to sell the axefx and kemper. However, kemper has made great strides and while I still love the ax8, I sometimes feel like i'm missing that "feel good" vibe of a real tube amp when I'm practicing and the kemper had that 3d tube amp sound. This time around, I got the switch with it so that won't be an issue either.

• I haven’t played an Axe in the flesh but I still find lots of modellers and plugins don’t really get the cleans either. guitar arg for example just sounds sterile on something like a Twin model, wheres the Kemper has that extra something.

It’s interesting that you mention Wes Montgomery for cleans and his sound is often a good bit dirtier than it first appears. Its that little hair tat I find models typically struggle with.

• Welcome back, Jack!

I'm sure the firmware/sounds are much improved!

The firmware of course is improved, but the core Rig tones remain the same.

You asked if there's anything new you should know:

New delays. Awesome; knock yourself out, Jack.

New spring reverb preview in the latest beta, with the full 'verb update, including an effects-handling / management overhaul on its way.

Morphing. Check it out.

New tuner-display options.

New MIDI capabilities such as the ability to pass CC values on to one's DAW for recording, say, alongside DI tracks for authentic reamping using a wah, for instance.

Other stuff, but the above are what stand out for me off the top of my head.

Enjoy, Jack, and congrats, mate.