UA Apollo Twin vs. Apollo 8 Interface w/ KPA

• Just to follow up on this:

I did the experiment, where I recorded something directly via the Kemper and at the same time through a Helios preamp in the Apollo.

Then I played both direct tracks back through the same profile in the Kemper. It may not be entirely surprising that they sounded very similar, but I would still give a slight edge to the direct track that was recorded through the Unison preamp (a bit fuller, a tad "rounder"). Probably not something one would ever hear in a full mix, but that kind of difference has probably never stopped any guitar player from obsessing over it :) So I'll probably record my direct tracks through the Unison preamps in the future.

I am actually fairly happy with the workflows I am having now as the recording and reamping (both through the Kemper and real amps) is both very convenient and comes with next to no fiddling. I still have to work out how to set all the levels correctly but it does not seem to be too hard at the end of the day.

• Actually truly great mixes are a sum of great recordings plus numerous small insignificant but good decisions. So yes. It matters a lot.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM