Free Mesa Dual Rectifier / OD808 / V30 / SM57 / BAE1073 MP modern down-tuned metal high gain profile

• I have profiled my own Dual Rectifier's Channel 3 (red) in Modern mode with an SM57 into a BAE 1073 MP preamp. In front has been a Maxon OD808 clone pedal in the "standard setting" of 0 drive, 5 tone, 10 level. The cabinet is my mid-1990's Rectifier 4x12 with british V30's. The mic has been right up the grille pointing at about the cap edge of the speaker. I have tried many different positions and this one I liked best.

My aim has been to have a profile that provides the common Metalcore / Death Metal tone of the last decade or so.

This profile is "calibrated" for EMG pickups, so the default gain might have to be adjusted to taste or for pickups with a different output. For me it works great on down-tuned guitars and keeps enough clarity even at insane gain settings. Even down to the lowest string on my 8-string (standard F#).

What I want to know from you folks is how this profile works for you in a noodling and in a mix / band scenario with just a little adjustments of the post-amp EQ block. Everything within +/- 1 dB of adjustment is fine for me, while everything more than that should lead to making a new profile.

The profile can be found on the Rig Exchange:

• Name: "RiF-DR CH3 Mod OD 2" (SM57 straight at capedge) and "RiF-DR CH3 Mod OD 1 57x" (offaxis SM57, slightly darker tone)
    • Author: "RiF"

Some info about the profile:

• Stomp-block 1 has a 4:1 noise gate for "da djent" :-). Adjust to taste or switch off.
    • Stomp-block 4 has a Pure Booster with a ca. 2 dB clean gain boost.
    • FX-block 1 has a Studio EQ to make the profile "mix ready". A pretty low (ca 40 Hz) high pass and a ca. 11KHz low pass. And it has a little dip at around 4000K to tame that "SM57-fizz".
    • FX-block 2 has a flanger at a lower mix setting (Machine Head anybody?)
    • FX-Block 3 has a ping-pong delay with a filter that cuts highs from the echoes
    • FX-Block 4 has a large room reverb, pretty short time, low predelay and reduced bandwith to keep it subtle

I appreciate any feedback (positive or negative) from you guys!

EDIT:

I have uploaded a sound demo on Soundcloud:

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Here are some images of the gear used.

The faceplate of the OD808 clone has been customized to my personal specs (color, writings, logo).

Edited 7 times, last by RiF ().

• Thank you, RiF!

You seem to have gone to a lot of trouble to really nail the genre's tone, man. Hopefully a little feedback will confirm, as you suggest, whether or not you got within that +/- 1dB EQ range you'd hoped for. It's not my genre, so I'll leave the critiquing to the "experts"...

EDIT

IMHO your thorough documentation is admirable and it's a pity not all, including many commercial Profilers, take the time to do the same, especially with tagging.

• For as low as your down tuned guitar(s) you need enough clarity so this profile does the job pefect for that and it does sound good in your sc-clip. For me, however who only play in E standard, drop D and D standard it doesn't work as good. Anyway worth trying so thanks for sharing and oh, what Maxon clone did you use?

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• I thought this was great man, one of the better free profiles I've played through lately. I thought it was very good for it's intended purpose, I really like how you didn't go crazy with the gain like I expected (not that it's low gain, haha). Quick clip off a riff/song I'm trying to learn, double-tracked, no post-processing. No adjustments to the profile at all. PRS SE277 27.7" scale with Bare Knuckle P90s.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Disclaimer: When I post demo clips for profiles, there will be some minimal post-processing, unless stated otherwise. I normally double-track hard L/R, and add to the main buss a small amount of EQ and a limiter/comp set pretty light as well. Sometimes I get test profiles in advance of release, though 90% of my clips will be from packs I have purchased.

• I thought this was great man, one of the better free profiles I've played through lately. I thought it was very good for it's intended purpose, I really like how you didn't go crazy with the gain like I expected (not that it's low gain, haha). Quick clip off a riff/song I'm trying to learn, double-tracked, no post-processing. No adjustments to the profile at all. PRS SE277 27.7" scale with Bare Knuckle P90s.

That sounds awesome ! Thanks for the kind words. It has really been a great moment for me to listen to your clip with my profile.

The double tracking is very tightly played and I dig that riff. Is it an original composition or are you covering something?

And those P90's have some great clarity. I would never have looked into those pickups for this kind of tone, but your clips makes me want to get some.

• That sounds awesome ! Thanks for the kind words. It has really been a great moment for me to listen to your clip with my profile.

The double tracking is very tightly played and I dig that riff. Is it an original composition or are you covering something?

And those P90's have some great clarity. I would never have looked into those pickups for this kind of tone, but your clips makes me want to get some.

Thank you, you're more than welcome! You just made my day haha (I'll take any chance to spread the gospel of the P90), up until last year I would have never ever considered P90s for this type of thing either. Any single coils, really. I had a PRS McCarty Soapbar that I just hated for high gain stuff, that was my only experience with them.

Then PRS released what has basically been my dream guitar, black semi-hollow baritone. Only issue...P90s. I looked into P90-sized humbuckers, things like that, but finally decided to take a chance on some Bare Knuckles (big fan of theirs).

These are the Supermassives, part of their Vintage Hot series (I prefer lower output for lower tunings), and they are more than plenty for me, but they also make Stockholms and Pig 90s in their Contemporary line if you want more gain. I am super-happy with the Supermassives.

I am actually a little tempted to sell another baritone I don't like as much, and pick up another SE277 and put the Stockholms in it...just to see, haha. I can't say enough good things about the guitar either. I am continually amazed by it, especially considering it's price point. I will say that heavy strings are a big part of why the thing sounds like it does IMO, it's strung 73-14, tuned to Drop Bb right now, if it stays in Bb I'll probably switch to 68-13, it's a little tight right now...but not much.

I have talked up this guitar/pickup combo that I have 2-3 friends that have went ahead and bought the same thing...join the club. :D

I wish I had written that riff, it's pretty groovy. But it's Breaking Benjamin "Down".

Disclaimer: When I post demo clips for profiles, there will be some minimal post-processing, unless stated otherwise. I normally double-track hard L/R, and add to the main buss a small amount of EQ and a limiter/comp set pretty light as well. Sometimes I get test profiles in advance of release, though 90% of my clips will be from packs I have purchased.

• Locrain, I have definitely put the BK Supermassive on my shopping list! Not sure about going baritone, because I am used to shorter scales for decades and already feel uncomfortable on anything longer than a standard Strat scale.

And I agree that lower lower tunings can benefit from lower output pickups. My Schecter Omen-8 8-string came with some very low output passives and I have replaced the bridge pickup with an EMG 808. When I compare recordings, I actually prefer the stock passive over the EMG. The EMG sounds very thin (less mids) and sterile. The guitar also is basswood (which I don't like too much, preferring a big heavy chunk of mahogany), which doesn't help getting a beefy and organic tone, imo.

And I have added some photos of the gear used in the profile to the first post.

• This profile is top shelf!

This amp in my view is one of the hardest to get right. Nearly every commercial profile I’ve tried is either too muddy or too fizzy. This is very articulate and sounds great with my passives. Good job and thanks.

• This profile is one of the most organic sounding I have played so far. I downloaded all the profiles you have uploaded and I love the Kitty Hawk Jr too. You have the profiling process down pat. Excellent job!

• Hey frazzman, CelticGibson and ServusJon,

thank you very much for your feedback. I really appreciate it!

This profile is top shelf!

This amp in my view is one of the hardest to get right. Nearly every commercial profile I’ve tried is either too muddy or too fizzy. This is very articulate and sounds great with my passives. Good job and thanks.

Actually from all of my amps I am finding the Rectifier to be the easiest to record (and therefore to profile). But without wanting to step onto anyone's toes, I agree that most Recto profiles I've checked out sound a bit too extreme to my ears. Most don't capture the brutal low-mids that this amp provides. But to be honest, I needed quite some attempts with various settings and and mic positions to get it where I wanted it. That said, the KPA is a godsend to be able to capture that moment that is sometimes hard to reproduce reliably and consitently.

I have been striving for what I call a "full range tone", which means that I want as much evenly distributed low-end, midrange and highend in my tone which you then can adjust later with as little EQ as possible to get the exact tone you want.

This is by far the best rectifier profile I played with. Do you mind making more profiles of that amp to cover more genres? b9788217979d0d8344db4da45919913948c2ac74

Stunning work and great ears!

Yes, I will and comments like yours motivate me to do so. This amp has more to offer than "Da Brootalz" of Ch3/Modern. Next, I will dive deeper into the Raw Mode and the Pushed Mode of the Clean channel. Both of these modes are highly overlooked, imho and provide nice tones way out of the usual Metal genre this amp is known and used for.

Also I'll mount more different speakers (Celestion GT12T-75 and G12-65) for my cabinet to get even more variety. The Creamback I have alongside my V30's doesn't do it for me so far.

• I am really looking forward to that. I (used to) listen to a lot of Foo Fighters, blink 182, rock bands. Looking into the different modes and channels would be relly cool!

You got a great set of ears!

Also the Kitty Hawk profiles are top notch.

No one here would mind if you find more amps to profile in that quality ?

• I will try this one- Thanks RiF!!!

If you use FRFR the benefit of a merged profile is that the cabinet is totally separated in the profile.

For my edification only... ;) Kemper/Axe-FX III/ Quad Cortex user

• I've added another profile "RiF-DR CH3 Mod OD 1 57x" where the SM57 has been positioned offaxis, angled from the capedge inside to the cap. The tone is slighly darker, but could serve well for quad-tracking (one of each profiles on each side) to beef things up.

Also, I find slightly darker tones more enjoyable for late-night headphone-jamming.