Chorus effects on Kemper not that great..Am I missing something?

• I'm relatively a new Kemper owner since about 3 mos ago...LOVE this thing! I came from previously using AX8 and Line6 Helix...I actually liked both previous units, but the Powerhead is just killer!..My only complaint is that the chorus effects (ALL of them) don't sound very lush, AND seem to kill some of the sparkle /presence, and highend (EQ-wise)... The Chorus effects on both of my previous units were incredible, and to be honest, the Kemper has been a bit of a let down (just on this one issue so far..) AM I missing something here? I've messed with mix, rate, depth, etc..even tried adding additional eq within the Kemper..just can't seem to get rid of that "in a tunnel sound" when using the chorus effects. I run the powerhead straight into a recto 4 x 12..

• The chorus effects on the Kemper are IMHO more analogue-like than on most other digital units; this tends to make them duller-sounding.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if "more-lush-sounding" options appear as a result of the effects "overhaul" that'll likely see new / improved overdrive / distortion / fuzz stomps added as well.

It's anyone's guess as to whether or not this updated-FX set will be included in the forthcoming 'verb-and-functionality update. If it's not, it'll come to pass at some point after that.

• That's why I like them. Just a matter of taste and to make everybody happy there should be both analogish and digitalish choruses.;)

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• The chorus effects on the Kemper are IMHO more analogue-like than on most other digital units; this tends to make them duller-sounding.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if "more-lush-sounding" options appear as a result of the effects "overhaul" that'll likely see new / improved overdrive / distortion / fuzz stomps added as well.

It's anyone's guess as to whether or not this updated-FX set will be included in the forthcoming 'verb-and-functionality update. If it's not, it'll come to pass at some point after that.

That's why I like them. Just a matter of taste and to make everybody happy there should be both analogish and digitalish choruses.;)

Agreed as far as analog sounding "warmer" than digital... I've been doing some tweeking... I'm gettin there...

• Well, almost any chorus is gonna sound duller in most through-amp-and-cab situations 'cause of the bandwidth-limiting of guitar speakers, V8.

I'd assume the qualitative judgements the OP made were post-stack; if not he'd hardly be in a position to speak of a lack of "lushness", sparkle and EQ presence.

If for some reason you inadvertently used one of the first 4 slots, steinweiner, for the love of God man, place it post-stack!

• Well, almost any chorus is gonna sound duller in most through-amp-and-cab situations 'cause of the bandwidth-limiting of guitar speakers, V8.

I'd assume the qualitative judgements the OP made were post-stack; if not he'd hardly be in a position to speak of a lack of "lushness", sparkle and EQ presence.

If for some reason you inadvertently used one of the first 4 slots, steinweiner, for the love of God man, place it post-stack!

Just checking Nicky, you never know :)

• As good as the Kemper chorus is, I do agree it lacks that 'lush' sound you mention. I have been on a mission of late, to check out various chorus units available. Some 'really' expensive units don't really sound that much better that their Line 6 counterparts, to my ears. I get a great chorus sound out of a cheap Line 6 M9. I was prepared to go down the expensive unit route, but there was not that much difference in sound. Certainly not the many more dollars/pounds involved.

• from the Reference Manual:

"Vintage Chorus

The Vintage Chorus is an emulation of the 70’s chorus technology based on bucket brigades, which can be considered a predecessor of today’s digital sampling technology. The Vintage Chorus not only covers the exact sound of the famous Chorus Ensemble* but also many other models of that era which were based on the same basic circuitry.

You may notice the somewhat dull sound of the effect signal; this is due to the limited sample-rate of the bucket brigade. When this signal is mixed to the direct sound, it will result in a very warm chorus sound, because the overall signal gets a low and mid frequency boost."

Try the Hyper Chorus instead, or Micro Pitch.

hth

• Maybe I am crazy, y'all can tell me lol.

But I have never ever turned chorus on on any of my pedals/multieffects/etc. in the years past. I really don't like chorus at all. Maybe this is because all the music I listen to never has chorus on the guitar parts, maybe if they did have some chorus on, it was so insignificant that it could have been easily missed and otherwise unnoticeable.

I realize we all have our personal tastes, but am I weird for never using chorus?

Actually, same thing goes with flanger, phaser, tremolo (can be nice subtly), etc.... am I missing something for not using any of those?

• I notice a big difference in the sound of the chorus when I have it in stereo in my IEMs. It’s really lush and big. It sounds pretty ordinary through a mono speaker. I do take care to have the master mono for the monitor

A brace of Suhrs, a Charvel, a toaster, an Apollo twin, a Mac, and a DXR10

It's post stack (whew!)

You are probably doing this already but it might be worth mentioning just in case.

Make sure the monitor out is actually set to Master Mono. If it is set to Master Stereo then any stereo effects such as chorus won’t get their full effect.

I will check this, thanks!