Chorus effects on Kemper not that great..Am I missing something?

• I have to say that for me personally, the chorus post stack does not represent the best place to put it. Why I say this is because, in the old school way of doing it, a tube screamer into the chorus and then to the amp always gave the classic overdriven 'swirl' that I favoured (a CE-2 is very forgiving in overloading it's input) and using it post stack does not generate this effect so much .... Same for the CE-1 (with variable input gain) although it was designed for keys, it too, sounded great ..... a bit more HiFi-like and really suitable for chordal work

• Wish it sounded as good as the CE-2 .... that for me is still the one (in a pedal) :)

I use the Strymon Mobius. I configured it to have the same sound as my Boss CE-2. Sounds great. I even sold my CE-2 after that because it's in the Mobius. I hook up the Mobius on the send/receive loop, and use it occasionally for chorus/flanger/leslie effects.

• You're not weird at all, I also would rather be minimalistic in that respect. However some of those effect can be more popular in certain genres than others and I think it's a great exercise to find out and be attentive in which situation they can be applied tastefully.

• Great advice, Jed.

Imagine The Police's Walking on the Moon or the Zenyatta Mondatta album (Don't Stand So Close to Me and

De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da for those who don't know, and it hit #1 in Australia and the UK and was recorded at Wisseloord in the Netherlands), without chorused guitar.

Impossible!

• Pretty essential for Purple Rain too and many other ‘80s standards. That’s what I use it for.

A brace of Suhrs, a Charvel, a toaster, an Apollo twin, a Mac, and a DXR10

• Wish it sounded as good as the CE-2 .... that for me is still the one (in a pedal) :)

The Vintage Chorus was modeled after the good old CE-1. I can ensure that you could not tell the difference.

Without having checked the CE-2, I believe it was also a carbon copy of the CE-1, as well as other chorusses from that era (e.g. Ibanez), and also sound equal.

Please post clips, if you hear any differences.

• As you'll know the circuitry in the CE-1 was a lot bigger (if that's anything to go by) and to my ears was quite distinctly different - having a thinner more HiFi quality to it.

The CE-2 had more lower mids that made it sound 'thicker or warmer' and less HiFi like .....

The Rockman stereo chorus is also right up there with the best imho - and with unique features when using in stereo.

One thing I believe common to these choruses (and a couple of others) was the old panasonic mn3007 chip.

• No opinion. Just sounds. I have a CE-2. Knobs at 12 o'clock.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I'd say a lot of the analog thickness of the CE-1 comes not from the chorus itself but the input pre-amp. Maybe it is this pre-amp that helps to fatten up the chorus?
    Have a listen here...

External Content youtu.be

• Contrary , the CE-1 is warmer and the CE-2 is brighter. The CE-1 is the most desirable Chorus between the two and the one the in Kemper sounds great !

Google it a bit, anyone who has compared both always keeps the CE-1 over the CE-2

External Content youtu.be

• Well, I'm definitely in the minority on this then !:D

Have had both of these and kept the 2 mainly for space reasons. but distinctly favoured the CE-1 for it's 'chime' and 'air' to the sound.

But for thickness and less top end ... the CE-2. In fact, for my taste, the Hyper Chorus gives me more of the CE-1 than the Vintage .....

• As you'll know the circuitry in the CE-1 was a lot bigger (if that's anything to go by) and to my ears was quite distinctly different - having a thinner more HiFi quality to it.

The CE-2 had more lower mids that made it sound 'thicker or warmer' and less HiFi like .....

The video that was posted later reveals reverse characters IMHO.

• I just had a great idea for super lush chorus for anyone with a Line 6 Helix in their setup. I suppose it would work with two Kempers as well, but anyone using two Kempers for whatever reason probably have thought about this already.

Anyway, for Helix you could split a path in two, put two different cabs on both parts and then a separate chorus for each. The different cab sounds will create a sensation of spatiousness on its own, but you could even either a) run two of the same chorus type with slightly differing settings, or b) run two entirely different chorus effects.

For dual Kempers you could split the guitar signal and run two different rigs into two different speakers with chorus on both. But I'm thinking those people with that kinda money already tried all kinds of crazy stuff!

I am staying with my folks for a week and don't have my gear with me, I suddenly couldn't wait to go back to my appartment lol.

• I have a 1979 CE-2 MIJ silver screw, (my old Taiwan one had one too many beers spilled on it lol, good thing I'm not gigging this one:P)! I need the space on my secondary pedalboard and since I like overdrive and fuzz I don't want the extra bottom/grit from the CE-1! I almost bought a CE-1 recently for stupid money but the price vs sound vs footprint doesn't make sense, plus it's 1/4 of the way to another Kemper LOL. :thumbup:

I'm quite happy with chorus in the Kemper and glad CK confirmed the CE-1! Sweet!<3

• I think the most effective stereo choruses were one side chorus and the other no effect at all like the JC120.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• We are on the same page. I don't use much chorus or modulation in any of my guitar patches. The only song I currently use chorus on is Lets stay together cover we do. Not because the original recording has chorus on the guitar, but it just sounds nice to my ears in that particular song. When I use it, it is always very subtle. IMO, too much chorus ruins a good guitar sound, but that's just me. I tend to use modulated delays as they sound more "airy" and do not affect the touch sensitivity of my performance. To my ears, a chorus pedal (or block) before or after the amp kills the original tone of the guitar/amp voicing .