1st time recording questions

• Hi all,

I’ve had my Kemper for a couple years now and have used it strictly for live gigs (because it’s frickin’ awesome!!). But I’m looking to finally use it for home recordings. So before I rush out to buy anything, I was hoping you all could give me some tips on what I should buy. I’d rather get advice from this forum than the guys at Guitar Center who just want to sell me the most expensive setup possible.

I was thinking of getting a Focusrite interface; a cheap one with just two inputs because I’m thinking I’ll likely only need two inputs at the same time for when I’m recording guitar in stereo.

My question is, should I get the Focusrite or something else (what’s the best bang for the buck)? And, should I use the SPDIF output or the main XLR outputs for best results. I’d be going in to Reaper for my DAW and using EZDrummer 2 for drums.

I’ve never done any of this stuff before, so I’d like to make sure I’ve got the optimal setup or best bang for the buck from the beginning. I know there are much better and more expensive interfaces available, but I’m not sure I’d need those kinds of setups for just recording stuff at home.

Any help or tips would be appreciated.

• Thanks paults. If that’s the case, I’m probably better off going with the XLR approach. The Focusrite 2i2 can handle two XLR inputs and it’s only $129. If I want an interface with SPDIF, I’ll end up spending double that, plus having to buy SPDIF cables.

• Not sure if it matters to you, but some people like to record from a direct output at the same time, so that track can be used in the DAW with other effects/amps etc. That would be a third input if you were doing stereo I believe.

• Focusrite is class compliant so no drivers needed! :thumbup:Drivers can be a pain with PC! ;)

I'm looking for a secondary interface for cheap too, but I need SPIDF, 8 pre's, ADAT etc etc... I think I'm gonna buy this: https://www.amazon.ca/Behringe…eamplifiers/dp/B01EXI8Y9S

I like having options, nothing worse than wasting time exchanging gear when you find out you "needed" more IMHO. Midas pre's are pretty damn good, I have them in my mixer! For the price I don't believe it can be beat lol?

My main AI is an Apollo 8 with Satelittes for serious recording! :D

• I've read of some people on these forums having trouble with the Scarlett range of Focusrite devices and their Kemper. Take a read of a few of the threads before making a decision.

I'd also suggest getting a system with more inputs than two analog ones, for the simple reason that if you need more (e.g. recording main outputs in stereo, recording git studio on another input, just for a simple configuration), you'll have to upgrade again.

Keep in mind with a recording interface, you should get something that will last you a decade at least, rather than something you will have to shelve when Apple updates its OS. For example, my RME Fireface 800, which I bought in 2007 and recently had the motherboard repaired, is still good to go with the latest Mac OS version.

Also, though many will say converters don't make a difference anymore, listening to the same speakers using the same cables on my Fireface and comparing them to an Apollo 8p, there definitely is a difference, though I'd be hard pressed to tell which one is more neutral. You'd have to be in the room to tell though, I doubt I could capture that over a recording. If there's a music store where you can a/b multiple interfaces with the same pair of speakers, you should find a difference too.

• I use an old Focusrit Saffire Pro14. With 4 inputs and SPDIF. It wosn’t bottom of the range at the time but it wasn’t expensive either. At the time I just needed on or two inputs. Now I’m glad I have the others available. I haven’t tried the newer Focusrite stuff but presume they are at least as good. If so they will definitely offer great bang for your buck.

As Paul said, so prefer analogue others SPDIF. I can’t hear any difference in them. I like having SPDIF available though as it lets you record DI signal, Stack and FX separately should you wish and reamping over SPDIf is super easy. It wouldn’t be a deal breaker for me but if it isn’t much more expensive go for something just slightly higher than the bottom rung and you can grown into it but don’t spend a fortune on something you might never need.

• Thanks for the tips. Maybe I should get something with a couple additional inputs/outputs. What units would you recommend? I see 397f7c95538961c9090da40b2b0b6e229b278069 recommended a Behringer unit. But I’m really looking to stay under $400 max for the interface, and would prefer something on the small side (not using a rackmount unit).

The most outputs I could see myself using at the same time would be 4, and that’d only be if I wanted to record the direct, effects and other signals separately.

Thanks for the tips guys!

• Thanks for the tips. Maybe I should get something with a couple additional inputs/outputs. What units would you recommend? I see 397f7c95538961c9090da40b2b0b6e229b278069 recommended a Behringer unit. But I’m really looking to stay under $400 max for the interface, and would prefer something on the small side (not using a rackmount unit).

The most outputs I could see myself using at the same time would be 4, and that’d only be if I wanted to record the direct, effects and other signals separately.

Thanks for the tips guys!

I am a Behringer fan after using their XR12 rack for a bit, then I realised that with these new fangled mixers without controls that rely on an iPad, it's impossible to get anything done in a jiffy, or at least as fast as if you have the physical slider or knobs in front of you. Still a great product if you play the same venue night after night.

That said, they are not exactly known for their recording interfaces, so keep that in mind. Or at least, I haven't heard people talk about them too much.

MOTU is a good option that I'm sure Monkey_Man would recommend. They are also far cheaper than RME or Universal Audio, etc. At the same time, it's a brand that is almost entirely focused on recording interfaces and things.

Of course, I hate to make recommendations for this kind of stuff because there is always the chance of something going wrong or the user being unable to handle it, or the hardware itself being defective.

I'd say your budget should be the primary consideration here. Set a maximum limit. Then look at everything possible under that limit. And after you have narrowed down on a few suspects, start detailed research.

There's no rush to suddenly jump on the first thing you see. Do your research, analyse your requirements and chart out future requirements (like having another guitarist and a bassist sit alongside you to practice a song, etc).

Basically have fun and don't second guess yourself. My recommendations or anyone else's should be secondary to your own judgment!

To get you started:

Here's an interesting one I saw on a "budget". It's about half again as expensive as your latest budget, but is portable and check out the IO and features. From an award winning line.

http://motu.com/products/proaudio/ultralite-mk4

Also, I've heard problems about Focusrite on these forums (but nowhere else, stuff about crackling IIRC. Some users got it fixed, some fixed it then it came back, and some people couldn't do anything, at least going by our threads).

That said, this looks like an awesome interface that fits in your budget.

https://store.focusrite.com/en…2nd-gen/MOSC0018~MOSC0018

Do note that this is their premium line now, and it is even more expensive than the Motu.

https://store.focusrite.com/en…pre-usb/MOCL0007~MOCL0007

Knock yourself out, man. I mean it. Make sure this purchase counts, because it will dictate a lot of your output going forward :)

• MOTU is a good option that I'm sure Monkey_Man would recommend. They are also far cheaper than RME or Universal Audio, etc. At the same time, it's a brand that is almost entirely focused on recording interfaces and things.

Yes AJ, I've resisted chiming in 'cause my default suggestion in these cases is oh-so-predictable, but I'll take the cue from you, brother.

OhG, why not have a browse here:

MOTU.com - Products

One of the many bonuses would be that your hardware will be supported as long as the company's still-around, which it has been since the early '80s. Every legacy device, and there's a boatload of them, is still supported on the latest operating systems.

• nightlight I suspect part of the reason for seeing what seems like a high level of Focusrite issues might be related to how many are in use but don’t know for sure. I’ve certainly never had any problems with mine.

As for MOTU. I’ve never owned one but have used them in friends studio. He scores Hollywood movie soundtracks and some mega successful games etc and won’t use anything other than MOTU . With the kind of deadlines he works to an interface going down is more than a minor inconvenience. He trusts them. That’s good enough for me.

• Couple of years ago, only soundcards with asiodrivers would perform with good latency.

Not sure that is still the case....but definitely something to check If the manufacturer provides one.

CoreAudio on Macs, so do your homework, OhG .

Bottom line is that not all drivers are created equal. And not all converters are created equal. And not all preamps are created equal.

The higher priced interfaces are not just some kind of snake oil. Try recording more than one track at a time and you will see the difference.

For example, Apollo devices can take SPDIF at any sample rate and change it to whatever you want.

Stuff like the Universal Audio and Antelope interfaces also have DSP power to take the load off your computer, but only with their own plugins.

I personally find UAD's console sad as hell. Great with plugins, but pathetic in terms of routing capabilities. RME on the other hand kicks ass when it comes to the ability to route stuff. And once you get into Totalmix, everything else seems lame, so there is that.