Harmonizer - user individual scales

• Hello,

I have searched for the topic but did not find an anwers (at least not a really comprehensible one): currently it is not possible to define a user scale so I am limited to a key (which I can define for each of my rigs) and fixed interval steps. Is this correct?

If so does anybody know if and when this feature might come?

Cheers,

Christian

• I only found this feature by accident and it has been very useful. Initially I thought it was limited to 2 scales for the whole unit, but 2 per rig is very flexible. You will probably be able to work it out without the manual anyway.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• Thanks for the Explanation and the Welcome wishes!! Omg, I really should check the latest manuals from time to time - haha

I have my Kemper since 1 year now and as far as I know back then this feature wasn´t there. And since it is "hidden" and only visible after you choose an interval beyond +3 Octaves which I rarely need ;) so simply put I have never detected it!!

One big issue for me solved!! Thanks to the community and thanks to the Kemper team!

Best gear decision up to now...

Cheers,

Christian

• I am new to harmonizer technology . In the past when I attempted to use one I was not very successful. I believe that was a result of two contributing factors. To some extent the technology at the time, however, my major limitation was the music theory necessary to be able to properly employ the capability.

Does anyone here have a recommendation on a good reference on scale modes? I would like to employ the capability in the Kemper but at this time being able to converse in the correct terms is holding me back.

Thanks

• user scales have been available since we introduced the harmonic transpose effect.

• One feature that would be useful to is to have a list of presets like TC Electronic's G Major 2 was shipped with .....

The preset scales are already there. This allows you to define the harmonies you want if they fall outside of that.

Karl

• Really ?

I bought the KPA used and only have Harmonic Minor - how many were there and are others downloadable ?

I've made a few for certain songs but it'd be nice to have more basic presets .....

The TC had about 12.

• Presets are user data like Rigs. This also applies to user scale presets. You can create your own. Practically as many as you like. You could enter the numbers from the TC and store those as user scales presets in your PROFILER.

Just be aware, that one user scale preset always includes both scales 1 and 2.

This feature is available since 2014 at least and in the Main Manual (former Reference Manual) since then.

• Yes, I was just wondering from Karlic's post if there were more that it shipped with .....

On your suggestion Burkhard, I have just sourced the basic intervals of various scales so will post below for any users who wish to add to their arsenal :)

Ionian Ionian 1,2,3,4,5,6,7
    Dorian Dorian 1,2,b3,4,5,6,b7
    Phrygi Phrygian 1,b2,b3,4,5,b6,b7
    Lydian Lydian 1,2,3,#4,5,6,7
    Mixoly Mixolydian 1,2,3,4,5,6,b7
    Aeolia Aeolian 1,2,b3,4,5,b6,b7
    Locria Locrian 1,b2,b3,4,b5,b6,b7
    PntMin Pentatonic minor 1,b3,4,5,b7
    PntMaj Pentatonic major 1,2,3,5,6
    Blues Blues 1,b3,4,b5,5,b7
    DimHlf Diminished half 1,b2,b3,3,b5,5,6,b7
    DimWhl Diminished whole 1,2,b3,4,b5,b6,6,7
    Whole Wholetone 1,2,3,#4,#5,b7
    MelMin Melodic minor 1,2,b3,4,5,6,7
    HrmMin Harmonic minor 1,2,b3,4,5,b6,7
    SupLoc Super Locrian 1,b2,b3,b4,b5,b6,b7
    Lyd b7 Lydian b7 1,2,3,#4,5,6,b7
    PhryMa Phrygian major 1,b2,3,4,5,b6,b7

• Great work thanks. The preset scales were just major and minor from what I recall. That will suit most users, but a few songs I play fall outside that with the user option being useful.

Karl

• The first seven examples are all just a major scale. They are the modes of a major scale. Rather than worry about programming all of those it is much simpler to just set the harmoniser for the corresponding major scale.

Say you want D dorian - just set the scale as C major

If you want E Phrygian just set it C major

F Lydian - yup that’s C major too

G Mixolydian, A Aeolian, B Locrian - all Cmajor.

You can apply the same to any key much quicker than setting a bunch of different modes.

• If like me you are a little more sketchy about modes and scales, it is fairly easy to just skip through the presets while playing the part you want to harmonise and see what works.

I wish I had paid attention in piano lessons like Wherewsthedug:-)

Karl