Suggestions for a dynamic mic

• yeah greenblob, I second that I’m not comfortable with live testing.

With regards to budget I would like to stick in the 100€ zone cause that’s where the 58 is even though I’m more considering either buying the Thomann copy of the 58 for 38€ or a 945 or another recommended mic in the 100€ range. The 945 is 90€.

Cheers

• I‘m using an AKG D5. I bought it because I liked it better than the others I tested — but it‘s also quite cheap. I paid 70 Euros I guess... I have no reason to doubt it‘s sturdiness...

• Talking about Shure, don't forget the Beta 58A which is already way better than the SM58.

And regarding Sennheiser, the 945 is a great microphone and if you think it's difficult for you to control the mic position, there's also the 935 which is a regular cardioid mic. To be honest, in my opinion these 2 Sennheisers are the best bang for the buck. The SM58 is something you want to use if you forgot to bring your own mic and if there's no better alternative available. ;)

• yeah greenblob, I second that I’m not comfortable with live testing.

With regards to budget I would like to stick in the 100€ zone cause that’s where the 58 is even though I’m more considering either buying the Thomann copy of the 58 for 38€ or a 945 or another recommended mic in the 100€ range. The 945 is 90€.

Cheers

945 is about 185€. It´s the 935 the one that´s about 90€.

My limited experience is with a SM-58 copy By Behringer, the XM8500 , the SM-58 itself, and my actual Sennheisser 945. And for me the 945 is a lot better. I´m honestly a bad singer since I just started singing about one year ago at the age of 38. But my band mates noticed a clear improvement in the tone since I have the 945.

When I bought it the price was 219€ and I got it for 155€ second hand. Now price dropped to 185 and I think it´s a very good price for that mic.

• pamplemousse What is your target budget for the cheaper SM58 alternative? Knowing that might help dial in the suggestions a bit more?

DML I see your point & imo handling cheaper performance mics at a store is totally worthwhile as in some cases they look decent in photos etc but just feel super fragile and scream poor build quality in person. Actual performance though is hard to test. He may find one that sounds great on his voice in the shop (with whatever is being used for monitoring there.. thats a whole other can of worms) and the price is right on it, only to find that it gets totally lost in the noise of rehearsal requiring massive eq tweaks (does that make it the wrong mic?).. or maybe it loves to feedback like a screaming banshee because it's rejection characteristics don't suit their needs in real use.. Imo the shop test could be very misleading is all I'm saying :)

The boring 58 is obviously far from the only choice, but its a relatively safe one with very well known performance characteristics (for good or bad), and proven reliability at a pretty fair price. I'm sure there are cheaper and decent 58 alternatives out there that will suit the OP's humble needs so I'm interested see what people recommend.

I disagree on the first part. The mic is an extension of your voice, same as your guitar and amp (or KPA) is an extension of your playing. Sure, it becomes a bit important when it comes to performance but that's exactly the same with other instruments. I guess you're are choosing a guitar/ amp/ sound that suits your taste and after that you start to worry (or not) if it fits in the noise of rehearsal.

Nevertheless, it's very strange to blindly go for a SM58 (or clone) when there are a lot of other mic's in the same pricerange.

I.e. I'm using a EV PL80 since my Beta58 has been stolen. Great mic, less feedback sensitive than the Beta58 and cheaper.

One of my favorites is the Sennheiser E865, but that's a condenser mic.

The SM58 is a 52 year old design that has never been (or slightly) updated. Yes, it somehow became "the standard" but only because of the build quality ("Don't have a hammer to put that nail into the drumriser? Well, in that case take the good 'ole SM58!") in the first place and "it sounds okay" in a lot of cases. But to me "okay" is not enough and as I said before, there is a great choice of other mic's in the same pricerange.

pamplemousse Maybe it's an idea to order five (or more) mic's at Thomann and try them in your own rehearsalroom. You know you have a 30-day-cash-back-guarantee at Thomann. If one of them is your best choice, you can send the other four back at no charge.

• https://www.andertons.co.uk/li…ardoid-dynamic-microphone

And if you notice that Andertons says "If you've seen it lower..." LOL, I'm sure they have their stipulations and fine print but whatever, worth asking. Also, Black Friday is coming if you can hold out till the end of the month?:/

Not sure if this will ship to France, might be worth a shot?

https://www.amazon.ca/Sennheis…dheld-Black/dp/B000NAXCC0

\\\

Hell, if it was any cheaper for me to just send you one I would, no problem! After tax, shipping, duty etc... dunno if you'd be saving anything significant?

Few here too, but...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sennh…kAAOSweIlZYgpr:rk:24:pf:0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sennh…sAAOSwcnJb1qLd:rk:23:pf:0

• I use a Sennheiser e935 and it's easily the best dynamic vocal mic I've used. I also have an e835 as a second mic and it's great too.

I really dislike the SM58. I've sung through so many over the years and it always sounds like there's a blanket on the speakers.