I can't seem to find something which captures the thundering cleans of a Twin Reverb.

• At least that's what I think the tone I've been chasing is. Example is the solo from the Brian Jonestown Massacre album:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

What do you think? Twin reverb profile with reverb, low gain and cranked master volume? Maybe the problem lies on my guitar (I generally use humbuckers)?

I'm a new owner so I'm still figuring this beast out! Cheers everyone:thumbup:

• "I generally use humbuckers"

You are falling at the very beginning. You would need single coils to maintain the jangly sparkling cleans that are found on Fender amps. The Kemper is only giving you what you put into it based on the amp profiled.

• Hmm. The tone in the BJM song I posted doesn't sound very clean and sparkly to me. Maybe experimenting with a single coil guitar with the tone rolled back could be worthwhile.

• That clip sounds pretty single coil to me. I’ve never hear of the band but a quick search on google reveals he tends to play a Vox Cheetah with Ferro-sonic pickups (songle coil) and a built in fuzz and active tone controls so. He also tends to ise a few boost type pedals too it would appear.

I definitely think the classic Fender driven sound that most of us know and love tends to rely quite heavily on songle coil pickups. Telecasters immediately spring to mind but P90 style pickups too. I notice he sometimes uses Rickenbackers too which also have that famous jangle to the sound so I would definitely try a guitar without typical PAF influenced pickups and see how you get on. Borrow one from someone in the first instance just to see if it gets you n tue general ballpark before deciding to splash the cash on a new guitar or replacement pups though.

• I've got a Ric actually but it's the high output single coil PU's. The Ric in BJM uses the lower output "toaster style" pickups. I can't really get my Ric to sound like that but I figured it might be an issue with how I'm setting up my amp.

See, I didn't think "classic fender sound" when I heard that clip, but I was advised that it's most likely a twin reverb. My experience is mainly with Orange style amps so the Fender amps are pretty foreign to me.

• Most of the "thunderous" aspect of that clip is the bass guitar and the mix/production which is adding another layer of saturation to the mix. The top sounds single coil and thicker strings to me, possibly a baritone guitar or simply tuned down. Two major parts of Fender tone are the spring reverb and the bloom, if you don't have either then all you have is your guitar as clean. You can increase bloom in the amp section of the kemper and add a spring reverb also in the current firmware (just be sure to add it before the amp block, not after).

• That’s definitely single coil. Something like an old Danelectro or a vintage Eko, Höfner, Silvertone etc. Filtertrons or lipstick pickups on a modern guitar may or may not get you close, but that tone is exactly the sound of my bandmate’s Eko plugged straight into a 60’s Super Reverb with the spring cranked a bit.

• "Most of the "thunderous" aspect of that clip is the bass guitar and the mix/production which is adding another layer of saturation to the mix."

I think you're right. I often get tripped up by production and the presence of the bass in a section.

Bloom is a parameter that I can change?

• I've played a bunch of Twins and the "thunder" is just the sheer power of them. Loud cleans with huge headroom and 2x12 speakers.

With humbuckers I'd recommend an EQ stomp in front of the Amp section to roll off a bit of bass.

• I have a couple of Fender profiles who get me that feeling i realy want! fat clean and not shrill tone from a warm amp! You need to turn up your volume to gigvolume when you dial them in! its sounds fantastic trough my DXR and JBL PA. i always use some EQ and boost to fatten up all my clean sounds, and ofcourse you need a good reverb