I love the kemper, but there is one thing I miss

• numbered presets. I think performance mode is cool, but I think the regular browser mode would be a lot better if things were numbered and broken down into banks as well. I know that it's designed to be searchable and in the rig manager it's not so bad, but from the front of the unit, I can't find a fast way to recall anything. I'm scratching my head wondering what I named stuff, where I put it and lastly, it would be great if the rig manager was also an editor. The writing in the little LCD window is pretty small at times. So, that said, the sounds and effects are more awesome than any amp Ive ever owned and the tweakability of the sound is amazing. It does many things a real amp simply cant do, and while this may at times seem unnatural, to me its amazing that I can add clarity and pick attack and come up with playable sounds that I've never ever heard or had the feedback between the amp and my fingers like what the kemper gives me. I routinely fall asleep in my chair with a guitar and the kemper. That's never happened to me before. I'm beyond addicted.

• Fantastic endorsement, Marc.

The problem with banks and numbering are:

1) There aren't separate factory and user-Rig areas; it's all in one pool.

2) Every time you add a Rig to the KPA, you'd have to assign a bank and number to it, whereas tags should already be present in anything you've bought or imported from the RE.

I get where you're coming from, but I'm not convinced a conventional system such as what we're used to with other modellers, synths and FX units would be suited to this beastie.

Not to take anything away from your FR, but I suggest giving it a little time. Put it this way, I've not seen this request before, so it must be very-rarely-asked-for, if at all.

EDIT:

You've been using the category soft keys, yeah?

• You might find it easiest to sort your rigs by GAIN.

You’ll at least know if you want a clean, crunch, or distorted sound and be able to narrow it down a bit if you’ve forgotten what you named something.

• Finding stuff, searching, organising etc at the moment cab be a real headache. However, ckemper recently confirmed that they are already testing a new preset management system which will be released shortly in the same update as the new reverbs. I am hoping that this covers rigs as well as FX presets. I think you (we) might be pleasantly surprised when this update finally arrives.

• I can't see what else they could do, Alan, apart from:

Allowing the user to create and name folders within the KPA and Ideally be able to import them from RE via drag-and-drop to the "My Profiler" folder.

At the moment we can't grab or move folders within RM, so that'd have to be addressed, but IMHO the ability to create and name them there and then drag them to the KPA would be a cool workflow that would, I think, address the OP's concerns.

Pre-specified banks and preset (Rig) numbers will only serve to confuse things and slow down workflow when saving etc., IMHO.

Marc, if you simply have to have numbers as prefixes, you could always resort to prepending them to your Rig names. You could devise a code that'd technically be more-efficient than abbreviations character-number-wise , so that, for instance, "01" might mean clean (CLN), "02" might mean gritty clean (CLN GRT), "03" might mean edge-of-breakup (EOB), and so on. As you can see, in some cases much character space would be saved. Just puttin' it out there.

• Yeah, that's what I and others have asked for for a while, Alan. I made a case not long ago for a couple more categories of tags in RM. Pickups (used during amp-setup for Profiling) could be one of them. PU configuration and model being examples of tags within the category, and then there're images, but I digress.

To be clear, I only suggested prepending numbers to Rig names if the OP was "desperate" and didn't like the other options.

• numbered presets. I think performance mode is cool, but I think the regular browser mode would be a lot better if things were numbered and broken down into banks as well. I know that it's designed to be searchable and in the rig manager it's not so bad, but from the front of the unit, I can't find a fast way to recall anything. I'm scratching my head wondering what I named stuff, where I put it and lastly, it would be great if the rig manager was also an editor. The writing in the little LCD window is pretty small at times. So, that said, the sounds and effects are more awesome than any amp Ive ever owned and the tweakability of the sound is amazing. It does many things a real amp simply cant do, and while this may at times seem unnatural, to me its amazing that I can add clarity and pick attack and come up with playable sounds that I've never ever heard or had the feedback between the amp and my fingers like what the kemper gives me. I routinely fall asleep in my chair with a guitar and the kemper. That's never happened to me before. I'm beyond addicted.

Hi Marc

i remember some user here said that kemper accepts an usb keyboard and you can write with it.

have you checked out the TOAST ME editor?

is a community editor that you can use with a midi interface to at least manage your effects and control and learn more about cabinets, lock cabinets, change rigs, it can be used together with rig manager and it rocks. It is an awesome way to learn and tweak kemper's effects.

After i got my kemper i am almost sleeping with my guitar too...

there is a thread here at this forum for you place your sounds and musics and we can comment better than on your formmer post

i really liked your sound and the cd covers and the way you developed the ideas of the sounds and titles, congratulations for keeping old school metal alive, many of then reminds me Tenacious D sage, Jack Black must be proud of you and the metal gods too...

impressed that you use your ipad and iphone to mix your music with such good quality

kind regards

Claudio

Edited once, last by szykman ().

• Having come from the likes of Marshall JMP-1 and then Rocktron Prophesy, I have been naming my live patches with numbers in the title. So for instance, "01 Clean" or "04 Lead". I have about 60 live rigs with different delay settings etc and this helps keep organised in browser mode.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

Edited once, last by karlic ().

• szykman is correct. You can plug any USB keyboard into the back of the KPA and use it to make naming profiles etc muck quicker and easier. Unfortunately my Apple keyboard has some of the letters jumbled up though which can make some interesting profile names :D

Make sure to setup the language in the system setting. Currently, only english and german keyboard layouts are supported.