Need to record acoustic guitars... best methods and profiles???

• Absolutely! and that DBX DriveRack PA2 sounds cool i think i check that out ^^

:D i need around 4-5 Bands to shape the tone and then 3-4 to get rid of some resonances or sharp tones ^^

I used the Alesis PEQ 450 there you can bridge the two channels and have 10 :) i like it and it is cheap on the used market ^^

but the best thing imo is working with the tone dexter or a eq matching plugin + a good eq. There was a digital compressor from the same series Alesis did and it doesn't sound as good as analog ones but since it is digital it has a lookahead function so this will be the next thing i get to make acoustic profiles ...and for the clean bass sounds

• I've had decent results from a simple Rode NT1a

As others have said, mics are more hassle but definitely worth the effort. When I bought my first Rode NT1 (not NT1-A), I did side by side tests with Neumann TLM series mics. The NT was $200, I think the TLMs were around a grand to fifteen hundred (it was the mid 90s, and I've slept since then). There was a difference, but it was so small you'd need an electron microscope to see it.

When I track acoustic, I typically use the NT1 or the NT1-A (have a pair of those, and they have a bit more sparkle on the top) around the neck junction, about 8 or 10 inches away from the soundboard, pointed at the sound hole. Additionally, I have a pair of Neumann KM 184s set wide in the extremes of the room (but I spent time and money tuning the live room to get acoustics that were flattering for this). I mix the three together into a stereo bus since for acoustic songs it's usually the centerpiece.

I considered buying a large diaphram Neumann to replace the NT1 but for the TLM series there's just not a worthwhile difference, and I use other things for tube mics on vocals. That said, Rode also has pencil mics comparable to the KM 184s, and there's a significant difference between those two. That was a case where what I paid for the Neumanns was worth the money.

Before I treated the live room, I used to track acoustic in my vocal booth with just the NT-1 and got great results. There are doubtless lots of large diaphragm mics out there that sound much better, but they're typically ten times the price or more so you have to make a determination on bang for the buck. The Rode NT-1/A is usually $200 and I would imagine there are many more in that range that also do a great job.

And yet, if you know what you're doing with a 57...

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• I've tried the 3Sigma impulses in my DAW, (the martin and the taylor) and they sounded worse than going direct - and I was really disappointed - as I thought they might be brilliant and was looking forward to Kemperising them - like Pete Thorn did with the Helix.

That's too bad. Live, I run my LR Baggs Anthem SL into a Mooer Radar pedal running the 3 Sigma Takamine and Martin IRs. I've been pleased with them. Do they sound like a mic? Not really. But they sort of add that bloom and listening distance that mics give you.

Gforce guitar, depending on your guitar setup, production style, and how "super" you need your results, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the 3 Sigma IRs to you. Particularly the Takamine pack. You'll just import them into Cab Maker and then into your KPA like other speaker IRs, then load one into a patch an bypass the Stomps, Amp, and Effects sections.

• That's too bad. Live, I run my LR Baggs Anthem SL into a Mooer Radar pedal running the 3 Sigma Takamine and Martin IRs. I've been pleased with them. Do they sound like a mic? Not really. But they sort of add that bloom and listening distance that mics give you.

Gforce guitar, depending on your guitar setup, production style, and how "super" you need your results, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the 3 Sigma IRs to you. Particularly the Takamine pack. You'll just import them into Cab Maker and then into your KPA like other speaker IRs, then load one into a patch an bypass the Stomps, Amp, and Effects sections.

Absolutely agree that mileage may vary - their demos sounded so FANTASTIC, that even though they didn't work out for me, I'm still glad to have got them - as they are not expensive...and if someone comes to my place with a different acoustic/piezo equipped thingy, then they may be perfect. Options are always good to have! :)

PRS Custom 22's - Fender Strats - Diezel VH4 - Carol Ann OD2 - Toneking Imperial MK2 - Colin the Kemper - CLR Neo ii.