Experiments with the spring verb on fat rhythm marshall tones

• Hi, I just set up a new way of recording my favorite marshall profiles, a JMP and a JCM 800.

I fount a way to set up the spring pre amp , and then a hall verb post amp, pretty unusual, but sounding very fat to me.

Some of us have noticed that the spring really weakens the signal , as the original spring model had a band pass taming lots of the amp tone . It's highly musical but it turns most of my profiles to somewhat weaker vintage versions.

My solution was to boost my guitar signal with a boost pedal ( real stuff) in front of my KPA with some EQ ( from the pedal ) . I think the feel and tone is working great here as it brings my marshall tone much more fuller . I really dig the tones , the sound is very natural compared to my usual verb settings.

I wish the new sping will allow us to bypass the bandpass with a tick box or a knob control.

Ash , you seem to like my vocals, I just did a short vocal in the middle, very unusual tone , as I was hooking my SM57 to my KPA to record these : I just had the whole JCM8OO profile still loaded (lots of gain ) , with a -2 transpose on it ( this is the way I record most of my stoner tracks) , it's kinda creepy but I like my vocals here more than my usual clear voice . Once again a very unusual solution , but interesting results.

Now for the clips :

When The Marshall kicks in

note : the Mid JCM800 section has no post processing on the PM & power chords parts, pretty raw and dynamic.

• I think that sounds great!

Thx Paul, that was my initial thought when I dialed the boost pedal in.

That's rather-brilliant, Renaud, and in so many ways.

Great tones and contrasts, and effective, musical use of them.

Many thx Nicky , the track did not make it's way to a full song , but I liked the tones a lot. The contrast is & dynamics are indeed great but mainly because the PM and powerchords are not mixed, and have that raw marshall character we all love.

• You Never know what to expect or is around the corner Renaud , I really Dig the psychedelic flavor , What a surprise some vocals man!

Fits the song perfect Renaud!, each one of these is getting better for me man really good work man! :)

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

• I really dig that tune, man. Really. Clicked it for the spring reverb thing, but couldn't stop listening to it because of the music.

Yep thx , It's a simple track done in an hour or so, I'm glad you like it as I had lots of fun with the marshalls. sounds a bit like Survivor 'eye of the tiger' marshall tones.

Cool track, Renaud! Experimenting can yield some mighty fine results - case in point!

Many thx,

the JCM 800 tone is easily the best I ever recorded , and you would swear it's a LesPaul on this track, but it's not :

It's my semi-hollow Ibanez artist with P90 hand-wound by my luthier , treble on bridge PU tone knob is about 4 on 10 as it's a super bright guitar but no mud !! This guitar is so versatile that I did not take my others guitars out of storage since I moved this summer. I'm now a 1 guitar man ;)

It's more & more evident to me that reverb is such a core part of guitar tones, you'll get instant 60's or 70's vibe with this spring reverb.