Steven Slate Drums 5 - Finally! Was Due for Release Mid 2014

• You are welcome, I think it's going to be a nice product.

Logic would suggest it's the new-fangled "physically-modelled" playback engine (round-robins gone and fancy-assed scripts that're designed to make it "play" more-naturally) that's responsible for this, Bruce.

Thank you for the detailed review of the demo, mate. Tempted to hit you up to email me all your grooves once you're done convertin', brother... :/

That would make sense, and first impression is that it seems to work well.

Happy to do so, will probably be a couple months before I am able to grab it, but that'd be just fine man.

Disclaimer: When I post demo clips for profiles, there will be some minimal post-processing, unless stated otherwise. I normally double-track hard L/R, and add to the main buss a small amount of EQ and a limiter/comp set pretty light as well. Sometimes I get test profiles in advance of release, though 90% of my clips will be from packs I have purchased.

• Any news on the grooves in this yet? Are there a greater and more useable variety than in 4? I kind of need stuff that’s more funk and blues oriented than rock. I found the rock stuff was the most useable in SSD4.

Really don’t want to download the 240 or so gig of SD3. Download speeds where I live are prehistoric ?

• Tell me about it, bro'; I only get 200k/s and 30k/s upload speeds, and that's on a stable day.

All the news on grooves has been mentioned in the thread and updated OP:

1) There were apparently 1000 new ones in SSD5, but bear in mind that that included all the variations.

2) Steven said the other day: "We are working on more grooves and will be adding a large number of them free of charge in a near update."

That's all I (or anyone AFAICT) has, mate; we'll have to wait and see what Steven says or until the next update...

• AFAIK folks have, Shawno.

I think you might have to "pretend" you're going to buy. Make sure the cart says $0 or whatever before you go through with it 'though. This is assuming that it's not in your DL area.

I'm only guessing 'though. No need to worry; he'll / they'll look after you. One guy even got a full refund the other day 'cause he said it was crap (even the sound!). :huh::S:D

• AFAIK folks have, Shawno.

I think you might have to "pretend" you're going to buy. Make sure the cart says $0 or whatever before you go through with it 'though. This is assuming that it's not in your DL area.

I'm only guessing 'though. No need to worry; he'll / they'll look after you. One guy even got a full refund the other day 'cause he said it was crap (even the sound!). :huh::S:D

Yeah I read that, ridiculous statement, but good on Steven! ;):thumbup:

• Indeed Shawno; I couldn't believe what that guy said. :S

I was impressed that Steven didn't try to defend the sound, even with all the "evidence" in the form of feedback within the thread, but instead chose to do the professional thing and offer a full refund, no questions asked.

• Indeed Shawno; I couldn't believe what that guy said. :S

I was impressed that Steven didn't try to defend the sound, even with all the "evidence" in the form of feedback within the thread, but instead chose to do the professional thing and offer a full refund, no questions asked.

Obviously Steven could use some PR work in some areas ("Slate-time" is a different timeline than the rest of us occupy, he does himself no favors there), but his attitude has pretty much always been very patient and professional, and this just impresses me even more. Smart move. It's easy to get caught up in a ego battle with a customer, but he didn't, kept his cool, was VERY generous to the customer, though I'm sure he might have liked to say a few things differently haha, and I bet he gets sales based directly on people observing his behavior in that interaction. That is a class act, through-and-through.

Disclaimer: When I post demo clips for profiles, there will be some minimal post-processing, unless stated otherwise. I normally double-track hard L/R, and add to the main buss a small amount of EQ and a limiter/comp set pretty light as well. Sometimes I get test profiles in advance of release, though 90% of my clips will be from packs I have purchased.

• Totally, guys.

It's as Picard said when he was defending Riker whilst he was under review by Starfleet:

"Do not confuse style with intent".

Many may not like Steven's style, but I believe it's fair to see through that and appreciate his intent, which is to do everything he possibly can to keep customers happy. In the business world, and the "real" one, everything flows from there...

• Did anyone get the free upgrade if they bought after January 22, 2018 as he said from tho OP thread over on GS? I was ready to buy but saw/see nothing, still?

I saw someone who recently bought SSD4, had the update in his account. Check your account or contact them. Since the release date moved so many times, hard to say when the free update cutoff was.

These profiles go to 11!

• Well said...and you're a TNG fan, to boot!

Engage!

• Hey, no worries bro'. ;)

OK, here's something that really surprised me:

Clonkified made the following request:

Since Steven has asked for feedback, perhaps a way to dial down or dial up complexity within the grooves would be helpful (similar to Logic Drummer or SD3). And a way to search by specific kick and snare patterns (like AD2 and SD3). Perhaps also a way to easily mix and match between different grooves, for example kick pattern from one and hats from another (like SD3). All of these would really help workflow for us non-drummers.

I and others thought this likely too much to ask. I of course wouldn't disagree with it in-pronciple 'though. Well whaddaya know, Steven responded thusly just 10 minutes ago:

Great feature request! We'll work both on providing more straightforward grooves as well as adding more sophistication to the groove browser so that we can manipulate it!

He also confirmed the feature-addition thing:

We hope to continue adding new features to SSD5 so that you feel the features are as good as the sounds!

Lastly, for metal heads, this statement from him is worth noting:

My Snare12A and Kick10 are probably the most used metal samples in the past 10 years and we also have tons more great metal samples, including the Black Album stuff which rocks! If you like metal drums, you'll be quite happy!

• My Snare12A and Kick10 are probably the most used metal samples in the past 10 years and we also have tons more great metal samples, including the Black Album stuff which rocks! If you like metal drums, you'll be quite happy!

Could anyone post a clip of the Black Album Drum sounds? I would be happy to do the same from BFD3 in return so we can compare :)

FWIW, BFD3 apparently sourced the exact kit that Lars Ulrich used and recorded in the exact same studio. I wonder how Slate did it.

• Even if both parties used the same kit and studio on the same day, it wouldn't be a fair comparison 'cause BFD's M.O. is the polar opposite of Steven's WRT the amount of baked-in processing, as you'd know, AJ.

It's probably safe to assume that both rock, 'though...

• Any way to use SSD5 with a maschine Mk3?

If you use FRFR the benefit of a merged profile is that the cabinet is totally separated in the profile.

For my edification only... ;) Kemper/Axe-FX III/ Quad Cortex user

• Kick ass! Thanks, MM! I already got my mom to order me the upgrade for Christmas! I realize I sound like I am 13, but I'm 46. :) She's not happy that it's a digital download and I won't be able to actually OPEN something underneath the tree, but I told her that's what I really wanted for a gift. Hopefully the wifey isn't P.O.'d that she got me that. Maybe I can convince her to give me $$ towards getting the damn Kemper already! LOL

Later,

Jeff

Shred 'til yer dead,

Jeff in Houston

• Again, no worries Jeff. The Chrissie-present thing's priceless, man. :D

Any way to use SSD5 with a maschine Mk3?

You should be able to create a custom MIDI-note map in SSD5 for any device that outputs MIDI-note values, in this case, when you hit the pads, spikey.

That is, if there's not a preset map for one's chosen controller already, such as various e-kits.