Eltzejupp Tweak: Paul Gilbert Rig for you

• Frank, I see you're playing a Music Man Luke in your Divided by 13 demo. I remember you and I both had the Petrucci model but sold these. What do you like better about the Luke model (I've never seen one in person)? Hopefully the pickup selector doesn't isn't placed directly below where you normally pick as in the Petrucci.

Gary ô¿ô

• Frank, I see you're playing a Music Man Luke in your Divided by 13 demo. I remember you and I both had the Petrucci model but sold these. What do you like better about the Luke model (I've never seen one in person)? Hopefully the pickup selector doesn't isn't placed directly below where you normally pick as in the Petrucci.

Hi Gary, the Luke II blue pearl model that I own is totally diffrent to the petrucci majesty. 22 frets not 24 and the sounds of the active emg pick ups are so much better imho than the majesty sounds. The cleans are so fantastic . I bought it blind ( never played one before) in nearly new condition. This guitar is absolutly sold out. I sold the majesty because of the frets. From the 12 th fret up to fret 24 the space is too small for my fingers. Also very diffrent to my jems. The majesty is a ferrari under the guitars, no question, but after some month I must say it was not mine.

My dream guitar is a luke with a floyd rose and 24 frets:):)

• Frank I've matched your settings and even with my PRS it sounds glorious, so true to Vai. It works great for Blue Thunder also btw. I feel stupid here, but I can't for the life of me find that Friedman cab, so I'm just using the Legacy cab it came with. Can you help me find it? Thanks Frank, and really great job on the sound and playing.

Gary ô¿ô

• Frank I've matched your settings and even with my PRS it sounds glorious, so true to Vai. It works great for Blue Thunder also btw. I feel stupid here, but I can't for the life of me find that Friedman cab, so I'm just using the Legacy cab it came with. Can you help me find it? Thanks Frank, and really great job on the sound and playing.

Search for fredman 1 and not for friedman!

deleted

• Hi Frank! You of course can ignore any or all of these following requests. I have made attempts, but I am very curious what you would make of these famous guitar tones;

1) Jeff Beck: "Situation" - I'm close, you're obviously able to get much closer than I.

2) Jeff Beck: "A Day in the Life" - same deal

3) Brian May: "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" - the toughest part being able to sound similar using a PRS, NOT a Tele! I have the acoustic tone, it's only the solo tone I'd be appreciative of.

4) Brian May: all (or any) of the rest of his solo stuff!! If you haven't seen the new movie "Bohemian Rhapsody" I highly, highly recommend it. Wonderful rock band movie, perhaps the best I can remember... Even Brian May thought it was awesome! The actor portraying him even looks like the spitting image of him (? an American idiom? I hope you can relate). I know it's impossible to replicate his Red Special with all it's phases and pickup choices, and his 9 Vox A30's he uses onstage at once and all his TC Electronics gear, and I know a few have uploaded rigs attempting to replicate these tones ... but your take on any of them would probably be way closer and more usable, you being the master that you are, and I being such a fan of your work (and his)!

Thanks for even considering these suggestions. Cheers Frank!

Gary ô¿ô

• "Hi Gary, the Luke II blue pearl model that I own is totally diffrent to the petrucci majesty. 22 frets not 24 and the sounds of the active emg pick ups are so much better imho than the majesty sounds. The cleans are so fantastic . I bought it blind ( never played one before) in nearly new condition. This guitar is absolutly sold out. I sold the majesty because of the frets. From the 12 th fret up to fret 24 the space is too small for my fingers. Also very different to my jems."

Well I disliked the sound of the Magesty pickups, odd tonality, plus the position of the pickup selector was horrible. Every other strum would change the pickup selection! So Frank I am curious - if you only had 1 guitar to own and it was only down to these 2 choices (probably not a realistic scenario I realize), would it be the Luke II or a Jem (I've never played or even held either)?

Gary ô¿ô

• Hi Gary,

Yeah, the movie started already here in Germany and will go to the cinema when I have the time. I grew up with queen and I have many venyl stuff from them.

Thx for your nice comment, I really appreciate it.

You are right, the sound of Mr. May is very special and to rebuild is impossible, there's no May like May. Red special, played with a coin and so on, but I've heard some coverbands with very cool live sounds for the tunes and the crowd didn't judge too hard when a coverband is playing queen stuff on party's.

I definitely will chime into Mays stuff and try something out but it will take some time.

To recreatecthe sound of the great Jeff Beck is a big thing. He is one of the players where you can absolutely say his tone came out of his fingers.......

But I will also try to create a cool rig for playing some Beck stuff.

Cheers

Frank

• Historians will confirm this; it was a commercial exercise and was therefore all about entertainment.

Well they went into quite a bit of the dark stuff, but I'm not familiar enough with what you're probably referring to. To be fair, it was quite entertaining and I'm okay with that. Can't expect historical accuracy out of Hollywood too often, ya know?

Gary ô¿ô

• Frank, there's a pretty good Brian May on the RE - *Vox BMW -1Brian May. Once I changed the delay to about 650ms at 65%, this is pretty tolerable attempt. I added Gate of course, but it could work for much of his stuff. I put the delay on a remote button so it can be clean when needed. Give it a shot. Wouldn't surprise me at if you could do even better though, oh master!

With your Beck rig - adding more Mouse didn't do it for me. Same for Lead Booster. My PRS and/or house electronics being what they are, I had to up the gate to 5.0. For louder solos I ended up adding gain (+6.2 versus +3.9) to a morph with increased gate, as it produced more hum. I then added a second legacy delay of 65% mix and a 657ms time, same 20% feedback. When placed on the same remote button this allows me to quickly alternate between your slap back and this more elongated delay, perfect for other songs of his; the best of Beck worlds.

Gary ô¿ô