Looking for some help regarding possible Kemper purchase

• Unpowered Kemper with FRFR now, or Powered head and save for FRFR later (for use at low volumes) 12

1. Unpowered + FRFR (4) 33%
    2. Powered + save for FRFR later (8) 67%

Hope it's ok to ask, I know one or two of my questions have been asked before but I'm still not really sure what I want to do!

So I'm currently looking in to getting a kemper, but I'm stuck between the powered vs none powered, and whether to run FRFR or not.

For some background I only play at home so being able to keep volume with drummers/loud stages etc doesn't matter much as it'll be mainly lower volumes I'll be playing at. I'm looking at a kemper mainly as, while it is an expensive option for my use, I like the thought of having the ability to use so many amps I wouldn't normally be able to. I do currently own an open back Orange PPC212 which I could use with the powered head, but I'm very aware that the speaker will colour the sound a fair bit which is why I'm leaning toward an FRFR option.

Now comes my main issue; I can buy an unpowered kemper with something like the Laney FR112 (Or something else around the same price point), OR the powered head, use it with my current cab and then save for the FRFR (I would be looking at a somewhat similar price point as the Laney still, maybe a bit higher). I'm leaning toward the first option currently as I feel like if I'm going to go FRFR at any point I can save some money on the power amp since I won't need it (at least I don't plan on using one for an external cab) once I got the FRFR anyway.

Thanks for your help :)

- Liam

• I went non-powered (w/ Yamaha DXR10) because I have no intention of ever using it live with a guitar cab, plus the price was good. No regrets at all. To me the point of using the Kemper live was to save on hauling heavy gear. You an always add the Camplifier power amp later down the road if you need it

Gibson, Taylor, Wizard, Matchless, Fractal, Kemper

• I bought the UN-powered rack with 2 DXR's and had no plans of using it live, now I do and wish I had it all in one haha! Things change, but if your confident that it won't, FRFR and UN-powered is great! You can always run it through you effects loop of any tube amp but this will also color your tone as I'm sure you're aware.

The Powerhead is mono, so if running stereo is a concern, that could be a a consideration? Also, some prefer Class A poweramps over Class D! I'm on the hunt for a Matrix GT1000FX. ;)

• 2 reasons why I use my Yamaha DXR10 live:

- no more beam effect: especially in rehearalroom one guy could hardly hear me, for the other one it was too loud...

- it's just a waste of "talent" of this genius machine running every rig throuh the same guitarbox ;)

just my 2 cents...

• Thanks for your responses :). Is there much benefit to getting studio monitors or a cab style or wedge frfr? Or is it more for stereo capability.

I've seen those camplifier power amps too, are they regarded fairly well if the need did come to get a power amp

- Liam

• For home use you are much better off with studiomonitors, sounds much better then frfr units that are designed to produce very high volumes.

Also I would not consider the powered version If you are on a budget and only play at home.

To play the kpa through a guit cab, use the return of a combo, a 100,- poweramp pedal, a cheap 90s tube power amp, whatever works for you.

To me, buying a powered kpa, buys you a convinience factor by having all in one unit, but there are plenty power options as good sounding out there.

• 4sqbbs, welcome!

My home rig is a powered toaster connected to a Matrix FR212 (FRFR) via the power out.

I also use Neumann KH120A studio monitors balanced output powered by an Apogee Element 24. ( Optical input from Kemper SPIDIF to 2x Lindy Coax to TOSLINK 2-way converter and repeater (1 for return)). Apogee mix interface controlled by iMAC pro. Can go directly to Logic Pro X or to Reason, depending on the genre wanted.

I can highly recommend the Kemper - it delivers.

J.

Ok, I forgot to mention I'm a bit of a nerd... :Sand I eat charcoal dog biscuits for their taste alone...8o

• I have a powered one. At home I use my studio montitors or/and sometimes DXR10s. And sometimes I use a guitar cab just for fun. Yesterday evening I used a Cab as my additional monitor. It worked out very well. Why I did not use DXR10s? weight and I borrowed them to a friend. And the Kemper sits much better on a guitar cab than a DXR10....

• I'll second this. The No amp has ever sounded anywhere near as good as the KPA through studio monitors. If you're not playing through monitors at home, you are missing out.

I was/am on a pretty fixed budget. A really good friend actually paid for my KPA (it was such a good deal we had to grab it immediately) and I paid him back over the next couple months. I got the unpowered version of course.

I will (again, haha) share my budget KPA amp. Electro-Harmonix 44 Magnum. I am really impressed by this thing. Cheap new, cheaper used, and if you get right-angled speaker/instrument cables and a reversed right angle (I'm sure there's a better way to put that) power cord for the power supply, you can velcro the whole setup in the empty space in the back of the Toaster. I could fit more cables, but it gets cramped, so I fit it the power supply with it's power cable, and the cable that gives power to the 44 Magnum, and hooked up to the 44 Magnum is a right angle instrument cable that comes from the KPA to the 44 Magnum, and a right angle speaker cable that goes to my cab (both are 3").

It is LOUD. I read several warnings that this would not be able to keep up with a loud drummer in band practice. Bullshiiiit. There are 2 guitars, a very loud bassist and a very loud drummer in a regular 2-car garage playing Breaking Benjamin/Deftones/In This Moment/etc, and I have no problems whatsoever being heard. I don't think I've ever turned up the poweramp past 8-9 o'clock (it starts to distort and really color the sound at around noon, so I have plenty of room.

I'm not saying it's the best amp out there, I'm not claiming it adds no color to the sound, but I can't hear it if so (of course, I have no idea what a camplifier or other would sound like), but for a ghetto camplifier alternative, I really like it, and I think it's super cool. D

Disclaimer: When I post demo clips for profiles, there will be some minimal post-processing, unless stated otherwise. I normally double-track hard L/R, and add to the main buss a small amount of EQ and a limiter/comp set pretty light as well. Sometimes I get test profiles in advance of release, though 90% of my clips will be from packs I have purchased.

• Thanks everyone for all your help so far :)

I'll have a look in to monitors but I'm not sure with my situation whether it would work (purely on fitting it all in the space I have) since my amp sits on the cab currently.

Does anyone have any experience with something like the laney lfr112 in a low volume setting?

- Liam