Kemper Headphone Out vs Mono Out, how can I move into stereo? (Scarlett 2i2)

• So Kemper headphone out sounds AMAZING, it sounds so much better than coming through my Scarlett 2i2 and I just can't figure out why other than stereo vs mono, and maybe the headphone out can drive my athm50x's better but I think this is minimal.

So my question is what's the best way to use the kemper stereo out in the the 2i2?
    XLR? or just 2 TS Instrument cables? What's the difference between the two in terms of sound quality?

I wish I could just jam out of my 2i2 but the sound degradation hits hard. ;(

Disclaimer: I used to run through a 2i4 and the sound degradation was there still. It feels like a wide range of sound gets lost and only the fizz and high end come out (in a way more annoying way) and I feel way more ear fatigued playing through my scarlett than just the headphone out of the kemper.

• I just checked the specs of the 2i2 and it doesn't have a S/PDIF so you are stuck with the analog inputs. If you were able to use S/PDIF you would have been able to keep the signal all digital then there's no degradation of sound quality. The headphone amp in the Kemper is top class and might give you a better impression of the profiler than the 2i2 pre-amps do. Maybe a new interface with S/PDIF might solve your issue?

• I have a Focusrite 2i4 and had similar issues when I first started using it direct with Kemper. Discovered that if you plug an XLR to the Focusrite, it engages the mic preamps in the Focusrite no matter what...which made the sound fuzzy and too thin for me.

https://support.focusrite.com/…LR-Input-on-my-Interface-

I use a standard TS cable from kemper main out(s) to focusrite 1/4 input(s) and have better results.

I also have kemper at full volume when recording and set recording level using the gain on foxusrite interface.

• XLR's would be balanced, but by using TS you won't activate the mic-pre's (which could be causing you issues)? The 2i2 headphone impedance is only 10 ohm, so not great. Try Main Output set to Master Stereo and "headphone Space off"(output menu), to get the space parameter in the headphones & the main outputs!

From manual:

By pressing the “Headphone Space” soft button, you can select whether it is applied to the HEADPHONE OUTPUT only, or to the MAIN OUTPUTS as well. You can also apply the Space effect to individual Rigs, rather than activating it globally in the Output Section. In this case, simply use the TYPE knob to select it in either the X or MOD effect.

• XLR's would be balanced, but by using TS you won't activate the mic-pre's (which could be causing you issues)? The 2i2 headphone impedance is only 10 ohm, so not great. Try Main Output set to Master Stereo and "headphone Space off"(output menu), to get the space parameter in the headphones & the main outputs!

From manual:

By pressing the “Headphone Space” soft button, you can select whether it is applied to the HEADPHONE OUTPUT only, or to the MAIN OUTPUTS as well. You can also apply the Space effect to individual Rigs, rather than activating it globally in the Output Section. In this case, simply use the TYPE knob to select it in either the X or MOD effect.

Great advice,

so you're saying, use TRS cables to enable preamp (prevents degradation?)
    I'm only using one TS cable atm, so I think you're saying, use two TS/TRS cables in stereo (?)

Also I think that's how I have my space setting done.
    Also what does headphone link do?

• Do you mean the "rig" volume or the output volume ?

• I'm assuming that there's a computer editor for that audio interface that provides a mixer of some sort. If you're not using a computer or recording then I'd just use the KPA headphone jack.

For example, with my little Presonus Mobile if I plug my KPA into 2 input channels and do nothing else they'll sound mono because they're both panned to center. I then have to go to the output mixer (on my recording PC) and pan them, which brings back the glorious stereo. :)

• I'm assuming that there's a computer editor for that audio interface that provides a mixer of some sort. If you're not using a computer or recording then I'd just use the KPA headphone jack.

For example, with my little Presonus Mobile if I plug my KPA into 2 input channels and do nothing else they'll sound mono because they're both panned to center. I then have to go to the output mixer (on my recording PC) and pan them, which brings back the glorious stereo. :)

Oh, yeah when recording I pan them for sure.

I'm experimenting right now.

I tried TRS out Headphone w/ TS main mono out
    And I'm gonna try TRS main stereo out with TS headphone out, basically just trying to make my sound sound fully when jamming with PC.

Would a TRS cable carry a stereo signal ?

• Looking at this device I'm confused. There's 2 types of them (https://www.amazon.com/Behring…ER-MICROMIX/dp/B000KGYAYQ)

One is a mixer and one is a headphone amp/dist.

So from Kemper I guess I'd plug L/R into the mixer but it only has 1 output.... and or I could plug headphone out into the headphone amp but then.... would would that make it stereo into the scarlett? I'm getting dizzy.

I have line outs from the 2i2, I think they're...mono ? It says L/R but I don't think it's stereo out. Time to search I guess. Intuition makes me think the L/R are mislabeled and really mean Output 1 (from input 1) and Output 2( from input 2). But they're line outs and not instrument level, is that gonna be okay ?

Edited 2 times, last by 0K1900 ().

• the outs from 2i2 you have to use as the physical outs for L / R

and you have to pan the INs you use

1 to L

2 to R

than you get a Stereo Sound

The problem is that the 2i2 doesn't have stereo monitoring, it will take both signals and turn them mono,

So I think what was proposed was to take output 1+2 and route them to a mixer and use that for monitoring to keep true stereo effect.

In a DAW you can arrange both signals to be stereo and you can monitor as well but there is a significant delay for monitoring, the end recording will pan out and be stereo but that's not the problem, the problem is live monitoring vs Kemper headphone out.

• The mixer you linked me is actually 4 way mono input and 1 mono output, but I really like the idea. Except apparently every mixer out on amazon has insane degradation or faulty hardware so I don't know where to start. But I really like the idea of plugging the outs of my focusrite into a mixer.