The Black Friday/Cyber Monday 2018 thread

• Guys, Sennheiser has its E906 as its mix of the month. That means you can buy if for $99, which is an awesome savings. Plus, sites like Guitar Center etc allow you to use discount coupons with it, so you can get it for even cheaper. I just bought one on Amazon, since they were the only people who would ship it to me. Should be useful. You could probably flip it down the line and make a profit ;)

• Indeed, exactly what I thought, Chris. :DNaughty boy, Luiz. :evil:

Waves gives away another plugin today, cybermonday, H-compressor.

Not fair! I paid for mine. I rate Waves' Hybrid range as being pretty-good.

I've heard great things about the UAD stuff. If you're into Distressors (I have a pair normalled to the vocal mics signal chain), you might enjoy Emperical's Arouser plugin. It's not an exact copy of the Distressor, by design, as it takes advantage of being a plugin to offer a bit more. For all intents and purposes, though, it's a Distressor in look, feel and sound.

Slate's version is apparently pretty-good:

FG-Stress - SlateDigital

• Well you already know life isn't fair. ^^

Speaking of which, I just got an amazing deal from Universal Audio. I bought their LA1176, Teletronix LA2A, Pultec Passive EQ and Fairchild Tube Compressor plugins for less than the price of just the LA1176 bundle I was looking at.

Would suggest anyone with an Apollo device to check out whether there are any goodies for them too.

Really stoked about this. I am totally set as far as plugins go for a long time! Glad I didn't buy Waves Gold on impulse, feel like I really lucked out on this one.

• Glad I didn't buy Waves Gold

Yeah, you should be! It’s a collection of ancient plugins. It’s the one Waves pack I have installed on my machine at work, but only for compatibility’s sake; the sound designer of our mother company uses Renaissance Ax for voice over compression and C1 compressor for side-chain ducking levels. If I had my way, we wouldn’t be using Waves at all. I hate their subscription/update model, almost as much as Avid’s for Pro Tools:cursing:

• Yeah, Gold sux, and the Musicians Bundles 1&2 as well for that matter.

Diamond's a good one to aim for IMHO if one can pick it up on-the-cheap as I did for a couple o' hundred or so. The 65+ plugins include all of the Platinum, Restoration and Transform bundles, along with V-Comp, L3 Multimaximizer and NLS Non-Linear Summer.

Excellent value for a couple o' hundred down when it retails for $2999.

• Speaking of which, I just got an amazing deal from Universal Audio. I bought their LA1176, Teletronix LA2A, Pultec Passive EQ and Fairchild Tube Compressor plugins for less than the price of just the LA1176 bundle I was looking at.

Would suggest anyone with an Apollo device to check out whether there are any goodies for them too.

Really stoked about this. I am totally set as far as plugins go for a long time! Glad I didn't buy Waves Gold on impulse, feel like I really lucked out on this one.

I grabbed the Neve bundle and use it a LOT! Will check this out too, thanks man!

• For those who fear or want to avoid having to update Waves plugins, and if the Monkey Method™ of updating WUP doesn't tickle your fancy, I realised I mightn't have made it clear that all plugins will still work, provided OS updates don't kill them, and that integer updates, which will be installed as you continue to buy plugins, can be run side-by-side. I'm talking about different plugins' falling under different "engine" versions, not the same ones - updating WUP is the only way to bring a particular plugin from one version to the next.

So, you might have V7, V8, V9 and V10 plugins running on the same machine, for example, having not renewed WUP for any of them. I was reminded that I hadn't made this "clear", although I alluded to it several times, when I read this post from smoke over at GS:

FYI - I have never updated a Waves plugin, ever. I have upgraded OS and Mac over the years. I have never paid more than the price of the plugin, most of which were $29.

You can read his post and the quote he responded to here:

smoke's post

• Yikes! Thanks for that, Michael.

Well, I guess everyone but those on Mojave should be OK then. Still undecided about moving to 10.14 here; it'll require a new graphics card for my trusty 2012 Mac, and apparently one loses the "splash" / startup screen and option-boot "options"...

• I ended up buying the full version of the percussion library I mentioned earlier in the thread who gave out a freebie version.

https://insessionaudio.com/products/shimmer-shake-strike/

They’re still on sale till the end of the year although they’ve gone up by $5 vs Black Friday.

They tick my 2 main boxes for a piece of music technology -

1 Sounds Great

2 Easy to use

I’m really pleased with them and am confident they’ll get well used. The fact that SD3 didn’t go on sale meant these guys got some business but, as SD3 is apparently quite light on percussion, I think these would have come my way at some point :)

• yes I don't like there update plan too

so I buy cheap what I like in there offers if

someday it will not work I throw it away

but as said no problems here using V9 and V10 together

there wup plan is the same as when you rent plug ins like slate

but waves charges the rental and you have to buy the Plug ins

that's absolutely not ok imo

• I just find the Waves stuff so sterile and boring, too. Their “analogue” option?:D Just add hiss! Why not just call it noise?

Anyway, off topic, sorry. There are still a few hours for some Cyber Monday savings. Wish I had the spare cash for one of Slate’s mics. I’d like to try one out, even if I don’t actually need one.

• It is,but it works,,,, and ,,,we have been on PT 10/waves mercury, V-9, forever,, and were never gonna update,,no more avid or waves ,,, ever,, they thru us all under the bus,,with their "NEW" update plans ,etc,,

(BTW,,,looking very hard,,at Harrison Mix Bus 32c ,,,,anyone here have any exp with that,?)

Thanks for all the years of great help I have got here,,

happy holidays everyone,,